Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View I'm confused about my religion...
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 11:59AM #1
Sonne915

Alright so I wasn't religious as a small child but when I was 13 I became a pagan and stayed so until last year.  I was converted to Christianity and was ok at first but eventually some things started to bother me, for example their stance on homosexuality. 

I converted after going to this Judgement House thing around Halloween. Basically they put on a play of a bunch of people dying and going to Hell in order to scare people into believing in Jesus.  So I wasn't willfully changing my religion...

After I became a Christian I always felt like a piece of me was missing.  I didn't have that connection with Mother Earth that was so important to me before.  I have tried to be a good Christian and believe but I just can't.  Now I find myself wanting to go back to being a pagan but I'm dreadfully afraid that I could go to Hell if I'm wrong about religion.  Any advice on what path to take would be really helpful. Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 12:19PM #2
dsfin

Jul 11, 2009 -- 11:59AM, Sonne915 wrote:

Alright so I wasn't religious as a small child but when I was 13 I became a pagan and stayed so until last year.  I was converted to Christianity and was ok at first but eventually some things started to bother me, for example their stance on homosexuality. 

I converted after going to this Judgement House thing around Halloween. Basically they put on a play of a bunch of people dying and going to Hell in order to scare people into believing in Jesus.  So I wasn't willfully changing my religion...

After I became a Christian I always felt like a piece of me was missing.  I didn't have that connection with Mother Earth that was so important to me before.  I have tried to be a good Christian and believe but I just can't.  Now I find myself wanting to go back to being a pagan but I'm dreadfully afraid that I could go to Hell if I'm wrong about religion.  Any advice on what path to take would be really helpful. Laughing

Everything we do has a good or bad effect on our life, like karma.

Hell is a state of mind and not a fun place to dwell.

Adam was made in God's image, then the female was taken out. When you marry, you go back into God's image.

Homosexuality is an addiction that has many bad outcomes. The adverage life span because of desease is only 40.

Peer groups will influence good and bad decisions.

The book of Proverbs is the best book of the Bible, with all the rules of life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 12:29PM #3
Neomonist

Now I find myself wanting to go back to being a pagan but I'm dreadfully afraid that I could go to Hell if I'm wrong about religion.  Any advice on what path to take would be really helpful.

Follow your heart, no matter what anyone says, including me. I think following a particular path because you are afraid of Eternal Damnation is an insult to -O- (my spelling of "God") as that makes Him out to be nothing more than the Ultimate Neighborhood Bully.

Standard Disclaimer: This is just my 2cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 12:36PM #4
Joshp890

i think you should do what you think is right. don't think about the future. you can never know what is going to happen. christianity isn't fact. no one knows whether heaven and hell is real. if you think you have a part missing from you and you think you need to go back then do it. life is short. live it the way you want to, not the way people tell you to live it. just do what you think you should do to complete yourself. dont worry about an afterlife, because you really dont know what can happen. its a chance everyone on earth has to take.

just do what you think you should do. dont listen to anyone telling you to believe one way or another. its your life, your decisions.

peace,

josh

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 7:39PM #5
BillWitt

Now I find myself wanting to go back to being a pagan but I'm dreadfully afraid that I could go to Hell if I'm wrong about religion.  Any advice on what path to take would be really helpful. 

Sonne,  

If you are dreadfully afraid of the Christian Hell, it might help if you learned something about how Hell became part of the Christian religion.  It does not even belong in the Christian religion.  It was not in the religion of Jesus.  He was a Jew, and this concept was not part of Jewish beliefs about the afterlife.  Neither did the word Hell, or the concept of Hell, appear in any of the Hebrew/Greek writings which later became the Bible.   

The Christian Hell did not even enter the Christian religion until around 400 AD, when St. Jerome translated the Greek writings to Latin.  When he made this translation, he made the error of mistranslating the name (Gehenna) of a ravine just outside of Jerusalem, to the word Hell.  All of the passages in the New Testament, like the Sermon on the Mount in Mat. 5:21-22, where it sounds like some terrible place in an afterlife is being described, it is really talking about this ravine named Gehenna right here on earth..   

Get rid of your Christian Hell.  It does not belong in the Christian religion, and it is completely pagan in origin.  If you would like more information on how Hell got into the Christian religion, contact me at my home page by clicking on "Send Message." 

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - -Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2009 - 1:39PM #6
Heimdallsman

After I became a Christian I always felt like a piece of me was missing.  I didn't have that connection with Mother Earth that was so important to me before.  I have tried to be a good Christian and believe but I just can't.  Now I find myself wanting to go back to being a pagan but I'm dreadfully afraid that I could go to Hell if I'm wrong about religion.  Any advice on what path to take would be really helpful.

firstly, ignore what dsfin said.  It will only serve to reinforce your fears.

Secondly, I went through much the same thing you did, only my path was satanism.  I found the best thing to do was to embrace the christian hell.  If you look at it the way I do, as a place for the people rebelling against an unjust tyrant, you should do fine.  But, most importantly, ask yourself if it's really a good idea to convert if you're afraid of hell.  Maybe try finding a more liberal congregation first.

In Satan,

Mike.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2009 - 3:15PM #7
TPaine

After I became a Christian I always felt like a piece of me was missing.  I didn't have that connection with Mother Earth that was so important to me before.  I have tried to be a good Christian and believe but I just can't.  Now I find myself wanting to go back to being a pagan but I'm dreadfully afraid that I could go to Hell if I'm wrong about religion.  Any advice on what path to take would be really helpful.

Hi Sonne,

You were right when you said, "I converted after going to this Judgement House thing around Halloween. Basically they put on a play of a bunch of people dying and going to Hell in order to scare people into believing in Jesus.  So I wasn't willfully changing my religion..."

Bill's statement was also correct. Hell was a mistranslation of Gehenna which in itself is a translation of Valley of Hinnom which is a real valley near Jerusalem that the ancient Jews used as a garbage dump.

Christianity is a religion based on fear and uses the threat of a non-existant Hell not only to gain converts, but also to keep their followers in line. If you were happy as a pagan and had the connection with Mother Earth, I believe you should seriously consider going back to your pagan beliefs. As I understand your post, you were much happier then than you are now. Don't let fear cause you to stay in a belief system you're not happy in.

"War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives." -- General Smedley Butler: War is a Racket (1935)

"War is mankind's most tragic and stupid folly; to seek or advise its deliberate provocation is a black crime against all men. Though you follow the trade of the warrior, you do so in the spirit of Washington — not of Genghis Khan. For Americans, only threat to our way of life justifies resort to conflict." - General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower: Graduation Exercises at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, USA at 3 June 1947
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 8:00PM #8
Larosser

Hi, Sonne.

Good luck on working this out. Defining your faith is one of the biggest challenges people face in life.

A few things I believe to be worth considering:

- Your faith is between yourself and the All. Everthing else is human interpretation.  Even the name we use to describe It is a human conceit. So...I'd start by working on that relationship.

- Actions speak louder than words. If you are going to choose a creed, choose one that you are proud to be associated with, not one you have to apologize for.

- Fear is a poor aid to decision making.

Best,

La

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 8:24PM #9
REteach

I too think faith is a journey.  Christianity actually absorbed far more pagan beliefs than most Christians want to acknowledge.

I believe that there is a God that created us. I believe that God understands that we all have different personalities, cultures, experiences and therefore need to find God in different ways--maybe even different ways during our own lives.  

IMO staying Christian out of fear neither brings you closer to God, nor makes you a good Christian.  I believe that if you are sincerely seeking God, you will find God.  Perhaps in a different way than others, but still God nonetheless.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 4:44PM #10
Annmessenger

What you experienced was not a true conversion experience; you're no closer to hell than  you ever were.  Keep looking.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook