Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:01PM #1
Stardove

This was part of another thread about murder, but I think it deserves to be discussed on it's on merit. Thanks Justme.

Jun 3, 2009 -- 4:34PM, Justme333 wrote:

I found it ironic today when I heard about the Muslim store owner who not only did not retaliate when a man tried to rob him with a baseball bat (the owner had a gun), but gave the man some money and a loaf of bread:  today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31080407/?GT1=430... I have read some Christians saying that Tiller's murder is justifiable homicide - which is no tenet of Christianity that I am aware of - and then here is a Muslim that would have had a case for justifiable homicide, and he shows the mercy that Christ taught - go figure.

Justme

Store owner gives robber $40 and bread.

The would-be thief dropped to his knees and begged for forgiveness, Sohail said.

"He started crying that he was out of work and was trying to feed his hungry family," he said. "I felt bad for him. I mean, this wasn't some kid."

He said he tossed $40 to the man, who then stood up and told Sohail he wanted to become a fellow Muslim. Sohail said he then pretended to swear the man into the Muslim faith and two ended up shaking hands.

More at link.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:05PM #2
johnnyjoe

"Preach the Gospel ALWAYS, and if necessary, use words."

St. Francis of Assisi

"If Samson could slay 1000 Philistines with only the jawbone of an ass,
think what God could do with a complete ass."
St. John Vianney
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:19PM #3
Stardove

The man walked into the store a robber or with the intent to rob and came out a pretend Muslim. 

The store owner showed this would be robber mercy, which is not usually the case of convenient store robberies.

Who knows the man might find a mosque to go to and be converted, because of the kindness he was shown by the store owner.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:24PM #4
Agnosticspirit

Why the hope that the would be robber would convert and wind up in a mosque? How about  a more realistic expectation that perhaps more people may actually realize that Muslims are fellow monotheists...... not all Muslims are terrorists... that Muslims are human beings..... no less than anyone else.... 

If anything can help to chip away at some of the elements in American politics that use fear as a weapon, especially fear of anyone who is NOT a Christian.... stories like this will....

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:40PM #5
world citizen

Can't help but compare this to the Christian pharmacist who pumped six shots into a teenaged robber, killing him on Monday (five shots after the youth was already injured on the ground).

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:46PM #6
Dreamweever2

This story reminds me on a smaller scale of when the Amish school was under siege by the gunman, a few years ago, who shot several students, and some that died. He also killed himself. It was the Amish community and the families of those injured and killed that not only prayed for the gunman, but tried to extend comfort to the family of the the gunman.

I think that there is a lot to be learned from religious teachings. I also think that they include at times some misdirected opinions and guidance. For me, I try to take what is good toward fellow man and try to learn. I like the saying I see often on these boards, take what you like and leave the rest. That is what I try to do, and it helps me.

As for the store owner...I can't say that I could have been able to do what he did. I don't think I would have had the wisdom or the faith needed to react like him. I learned from this story.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:50PM #7
Lonesentinel

Jun 3, 2009 -- 6:19PM, Stardove wrote:

The man walked into the store a robber or with the intent to rob and came out a pretend Muslim. 

The store owner showed this would be robber mercy, which is not usually the case of convenient store robberies.

Who knows the man might find a mosque to go to and be converted, because of the kindness he was shown by the store owner.

Jun 3, 2009 -- 6:40PM, world citizen wrote:

Can't help but compare this to the Christian pharmacist who pumped six shots into a teenaged robber, killing him on Monday (five shots after the youth was already injured on the ground).

I don't think how this store owner reacted is necessarily Muslim though. Nor is it not Christian, Baha'i, Hindu, etc. Past this, the store owner should be recognized as a decent man. I don't think his religeon should be recognized as a factor, except to show as AS mentioned - to kill what has become an unjust stereotype.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:56PM #8
Agnosticspirit

Wow... compare and contrast.... WC, I googled for Bahai pharmacists.... Smile curious about how they would handle it but didn't come up with anything. BTW, what do you think about sharing this article on some of the Islam boards?

I hesitated to place it on Discuss Islam... per local guidelines.... But what are your thoughts about placing this the Islam community board? A frequent complaint we often hear from Muslims is that they don't get "good press"..... It would be nice to counter this impression --- just as this article counters the poor impression many people have of ALL Muslims when they associate the few random acts of violence with the all.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 7:02PM #9
Stardove

Jun 3, 2009 -- 6:19PM, Stardove wrote:

Jun 3, 2009 -- 6:24PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Why the hope that the would be robber would convert and wind up in a mosque? How about  a more realistic expectation that perhaps more people may actually realize that Muslims are fellow monotheists...... not all Muslims are terrorists... that Muslims are human beings..... no less than anyone else.... 

If anything can help to chip away at some of the elements in American politics that use fear as a weapon, especially fear of anyone who is NOT a Christian.... stories like this will....

Hi AS, Didn't think I was hoping the robber would convert, just simply saying he might. 

You are correct in saying these types of events need more attention.  Much of the USA currently is in the fear Muslims mode which just isn't right.  Some people still believe Obama is Muslim and send emails expressing this belief.

Jun 3, 2009 -- 6:40PM, world citizen wrote:

Oh my.  That is an event I missed hearing about.  What a contrast between the two events.  Which man showed more love?

A 57-year-old pharmacist charged with first-degree murder for shooting a would-be robber says in a cable television interview that he feared for his life as the attempted robbery was taking place.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 8:03PM #10
Adelphe

A thoroughly Biblical principle:

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a  tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone  slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone  would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone  forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one  who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from  you.  (Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5)

Not so easy to practice but "miracles" happen when we do.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook