Switch to Forum Live View A Unique Spiritual Journey
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2009 - 3:08AM #1
Galtlovesgod

I was raised by a very strict Southern Baptist father and an Agnostic mother.  My father's stifling, oppressive style of worship made me very uncomfortable, and I also didn't have a very clear understanding of a lot of teachings beyond a general fear.  I was never baptized in the Southern Baptist church.   

I found what felt like a conflict with my being gay and what I perceived were most church positions on this.  I thought that churches taught that Jesus hated gays, which is incorrect.  But as such, I set out on a spiritual journey that did NOT include a branch of Christianity. 

After much deliberation, I decided to convert to Judaism, and I eventually did convert to Reform Judaism.  After years of practicing Judaism, though, I found myself feeling spiritually empty.  And quite often enough, I'd find myself pondering Jesus.  I had rejected him for so long because my father told me that he would speak to me to be saved, but I never heard his call.  I believe I'm hearing his call now. 

My journey has led me here.  I have questions over which choice would be better--the Catholic or Episcopalian church?  See, even though I am gay, I am also socially conservative.  My views are very much in line with that of the Catholic church, both politically and spiritually.  My issue, though, is that I want to have a family and I want to be very involved with church life (send children to the school affiliated with the church, etc.). I'm afraid that I will find exclusion in the Catholic church, such as not letting the child of a gay parent attend school, or not admitting a non-traditional family to the parish.  The EC is very inclusive, but I don't like how liberal they tend to be in other respects. 

Any advice or words of encouragement or reflection would be greatly appreciated, though if you are messaging me to condemn homosexuality I ask that you please be civil and respectful that we are both children of God. 

I'd also like to add an answer to a potential frequent question:  I've narrowed the choice down to RCC and EC because RCC is the church that Jesus started, and the church with which I most closely agree.  The EC is also a consideration because it is the midway between Protestantism and RCC, arguably Angelo-Catholic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 8:53PM #2
Inkywhip

GaltlovesGod,

I believe that a number of people, including myself, have read your post, but, not being sure as to the 'official' line of either faith, may be somewhat inhibited in replying.

As far as I am aware, the official position of the Catholic Church is that it is not against those of homosexual orientation. However, it is opposed to homosexual acts. Hence, if one wishes to be both gay and Catholic...it may be best to seriously consider celibacy, because that is essentially what is being asked of you.

Now, for the Episcopal (US Anglican) church...well, that is more of an association of churches, rather than a hierarchical, top-down structure. So, although somewhere up north here, there is an openly gay Bishop, this has created a rift (old discussions must exist here on Bnet somewhere) in the more conservative versus more progressive congregations...so there's no real telling what you will find in your locality unless or until you check it out personally.

You may also wish to look at other churches. I understand there are some other Christian churches...but don't want to guess, since I don't specifically remember, that are open to gay members.

Incarnadine

..."jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 6:04PM #3
Godgirl

May 25, 2009 -- 3:08AM, Galtlovesgod wrote:

I was raised by a very strict Southern Baptist father and an Agnostic mother.  My father's stifling, oppressive style of worship made me very uncomfortable, and I also didn't have a very clear understanding of a lot of teachings beyond a general fear.  I was never baptized in the Southern Baptist church.   

I found what felt like a conflict with my being gay and what I perceived were most church positions on this.  I thought that churches taught that Jesus hated gays, which is incorrect.  But as such, I set out on a spiritual journey that did NOT include a branch of Christianity. 

After much deliberation, I decided to convert to Judaism, and I eventually did convert to Reform Judaism.  After years of practicing Judaism, though, I found myself feeling spiritually empty.  And quite often enough, I'd find myself pondering Jesus.  I had rejected him for so long because my father told me that he would speak to me to be saved, but I never heard his call.  I believe I'm hearing his call now. 

My journey has led me here.  I have questions over which choice would be better--the Catholic or Episcopalian church?  See, even though I am gay, I am also socially conservative.  My views are very much in line with that of the Catholic church, both politically and spiritually.  My issue, though, is that I want to have a family and I want to be very involved with church life (send children to the school affiliated with the church, etc.). I'm afraid that I will find exclusion in the Catholic church, such as not letting the child of a gay parent attend school, or not admitting a non-traditional family to the parish.  The EC is very inclusive, but I don't like how liberal they tend to be in other respects. 

Any advice or words of encouragement or reflection would be greatly appreciated, though if you are messaging me to condemn homosexuality I ask that you please be civil and respectful that we are both children of God. 

I'd also like to add an answer to a potential frequent question:  I've narrowed the choice down to RCC and EC because RCC is the church that Jesus started, and the church with which I most closely agree.  The EC is also a consideration because it is the midway between Protestantism and RCC, arguably Angelo-Catholic.

Its good to hear that your both gay and you love Jesus. That is great. I personaly perfer the Episcopal church (only been once and another time when I was going to oreintation.) The Eposicapal Church Pastor of Pasedena California (I saw him on Opera) said that being gay is a "gift from God." So i dont see why you cant be both Christain and gay. The only thing that appeals to me about the Catholic Church is I like the idea of confessing my sins to a priest. I would think it would be theraputic. I am sorry that you feel conflicted...I myself am sexualy conservative. I personaly think there is nothing wrong with being gay and I suport gay marriage but what i dont like is when people act publicaly overly sexual (wheter gay or straight.) Its just discusting to me wheter it comes from straight or gay people. To me it shows no manners.  Its no secrete that a partner will use the other partner for sex. I dont like fornication. And it would be cool for me to see gay people and straight people wait untill they marry before becoming sexualy active. I think that too many people are giving away themselfs. Other than the fact that I think were too overly sexual...that I am very liberal...or I should say moderately liberal. I am very liberal politicaly. Anyways...you have to do what is best for you. It sounds like you have narrowed it down quite a bit as being between the Catholic and Episcapal church. What I would sugest to you would be to attend both untill you figure out which is the best one for you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2009 - 6:28PM #4
Bob_Bennett

Hi,

If you can keep your gay-ness to yourself, then the RCC could work out for you.

Bible:

Jesus never said anything about homosexuality.    What he did say at Matt. 15: 6-9 was to dis the entire Mosaic laws of Exodus etc as being man made precepts trying to masquerade as God given dogma.  Hence, none of the Mosaic codes have any official backing (except for the 10 commandments).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2009 - 4:20PM #5
Serenity1552

I am 99.99999% sure, that God will not judge you on your sexual preference.

I believe that we are all children of God, and we should respect each others beliefs. 

I hope you find the acceptance and peace of mind that you deserveSmile

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook