Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View wouldn`t it be funny if....
5 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2009 - 12:33AM #11
ManzanitaBear

I've caught people off guard a couple of times when they opened with,  "Have you heard about Jesus before?"

I replied,  "Nope, never heard of her."

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 8:08AM #12
faith713

May 23, 2009 -- 4:54PM, Godgirl wrote:

I guess my sugestions are pretty mean but i was trying to be creative and funny.

I don't think making fun of God's messengers is funny at all. I thought you were a Christian, Godgirl.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 4:21PM #13
gorm-sionnach

Oct 7, 2009 -- 8:08AM, faith713 wrote:

I guess my sugestions are pretty mean but i was trying to be creative and funny.

I don't think making fun of God's messengers is funny at all. I thought you were a Christian, Godgirl.

I don't think GG was making fun of anyone; she was merely pointing out the problematic nature of proselytization, and coming up with creative ways of dealing with people who do not believe in the ability of people to make their own choices. I'm not sure about you, but I certainly did not find my religion through the pitch of a traveling salesmen. If you are unable to understand why some people, specifically those who already have a religion, would be offended at the audactiy of a complete stranger walking up to them and saying, "You're religion is false, why don't you join the winning team instead?", then you haven't been paying attention.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 5:46PM #14
faith713

Oct 7, 2009 -- 4:21PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

I don't think GG was making fun of anyone; she was merely pointing out the problematic nature of proselytization, and coming up with creative ways of dealing with people who do not believe in the ability of people to make their own choices. I'm not sure about you, but I certainly did not find my religion through the pitch of a traveling salesmen. If you are unable to understand why some people, specifically those who already have a religion, would be offended at the audactiy of a complete stranger walking up to them and saying, "You're religion is false, why don't you join the winning team instead?", then you haven't been paying attention.

Why should we think the worse of people? If they are genuinely concerned and are doing it out of love then I would not feel offended. 

If you have found your religion then just say no thank you or not interested. Others who are lost and seeking may be helped by their message.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 9:49PM #15
gorm-sionnach

Oct 7, 2009 -- 5:46PM, faith713 wrote:

Oct 7, 2009 -- 4:21PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Why should we think the worse of people? If they are genuinely concerned and are doing it out of love then I would not feel offended. 

If you have found your religion then just say no thank you or not interested. Others who are lost and seeking may be helped by their message.

Beause intentions are peachy, but people should be judged by their actions and not their intent. If someone believes they are helping someone by evangelizing, that's fine, but at the same time the underlying "need" inherent in proselytization is that the proselytizer has the Truth, and needs to save people from themselves and whicheve false beliefs they have. While I am sure people do not intend to be presumptious, or denigrating, the act of proselytization is inherently from an assumed posistion of superiority; "we have the truth, we need to tell people." Not meaning to do something, does not take away from the fact that one is.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook