Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Most effective method?
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2009 - 1:33PM #1
The Celt

What do you think is the most effective way to proselytize?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2009 - 10:28PM #2
Heimdallsman

The most effective means of proselytism is to leave me be and, if I ask, tell me your religion.  Any other mode is just rude and liable to get one into trouble.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2009 - 5:34PM #3
Seraphim

I would generally agree with Heim. But the most effective way is to let your life do the talking.  It is very easy to talk a good game, but much more difficult to live it.

For example, a couple of years ago some gunman shot up an Amish schoolhouse and killed several of their children before committing suicide. They forgave and went the additional mile of reaching out to the wife and children of the man who killed theirs. They brought them food, helped with their financial needs and comforted them in their loss. How that Amish community dealt with that tragedy spoke volumes more than any sermon, tract, or "witnessing outreach program".

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2009 - 7:05PM #4
Wmdkitty

Apr 1, 2009 -- 10:28PM, Heimdallsman wrote:

The most effective means of proselytism is to leave me be and, if I ask, tell me your religion.  Any other mode is just rude and liable to get one into trouble.

Thread over, you win.

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2013 - 8:28AM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I agree with the previous discussion.

In my view, "ethical" is more important than "effective".

Otherwise, annoying and infuriating people, will be counterproductive!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2013 - 9:15PM #6
Yamina

I don't proselytize.  Each to find their own way to the biggest form of The Infinite that they can.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 months ago  ::  Jul 19, 2014 - 11:43AM #7
InHisHands

Apr 1, 2009 -- 1:33PM, The Celt wrote:

Point all to CHRIST as the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE...and let GOD do HIS WORK of bringing the increase.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 months ago  ::  Jul 22, 2014 - 2:11PM #8
TPaine

Jul 19, 2014 -- 11:43AM, InHisHands wrote:

Point all to CHRIST as the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE...and let GOD do HIS WORK of bringing the increase.

And if the person states that he or she is satisfied with his or her present belief system and does not want to change do you then stop proselytizing him or her or do you continue to try to pressure them into accepting your belief?

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 months ago  ::  Jul 29, 2014 - 8:12PM #9
InHisHands

Jul 22, 2014 -- 2:11PM, TPaine wrote:

Jul 19, 2014 -- 11:43AM, InHisHands wrote:

And if the person states that he or she is satisfied with his or her present belief system and does not want to change do you then stop proselytizing him or her or do you continue to try to pressure them into accepting your belief?

Pressure them?  Can anyone pressure and make anyone do anything they do not want to do?

How can ANYONE pressure someone to believe?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 months ago  ::  Aug 01, 2014 - 3:22PM #10
TPaine

Jul 29, 2014 -- 8:12PM, InHisHands wrote:

Jul 22, 2014 -- 2:11PM, TPaine wrote:

Pressure them?  Can anyone pressure and make anyone do anything they do not want to do?

How can ANYONE pressure someone to believe?

It can't be done, but that doesn't stop evangelists from knocking on my door in an attempt to convert me to their beliefs. The should learn that no means no, but there are several that can't seem to learn that. They keep trying,

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook