Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Does God really love all people
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2009 - 7:35PM #1
Talies

Now first and formost this is not to get peoples dander up it is simply to ask a question.

In Exodus 34:14 it says accourding to the NIV bible:  Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

In 1 Corinthians 13 4-7 it says according to the NIV bible:  Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

From your readings in the bible do God's actions in the bible live up to how love is defined in the bible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2009 - 8:56PM #2
xiananarchist

The texts you present were written at different times to different communities.  They each address fundamental questions of the people of their time.  Through time, questions change.  Whereas the Christian Testament is primarily pointed toward addressing the question “Is God really Love,” the Hebrew Scriptures want to addres the question, “Is God Just/Good?”

Our questions inform our filters.  Our filters shape how we see the world.  How we see the world shapes how we portray the world.  Because how we portray the world is shaped by our perceptual bias, our portrayals are never complete.  I think we need to take this into account when looking at any religious text.    I would say yes, I believe that God loves all, even if some biblical texts seem to suggest otherwise.

The texts of the Bible are often inconsistent because they are written by people who are trying to write about their faith in a way that addresses their questions, which vary.  Just because their texts don’t always address my questions doesn’t mean that the texts are not true, or even that I am wrong for seeing things differently.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2009 - 9:31AM #3
Philosopher Plebian

I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors

but I think that God has a sick sense of humor

and when I die, I expect to find him laughing

-Depeche Mode

I'm inclined to agree with this song. If God loves us, then we are indeed in a sick and twisted relationship considering all the misery caused by "acts of God".

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2009 - 7:31PM #4
REteach

Indeed, the Bible isn't so much a science or history book as a faith book.  It shows our how human perceptions of and expectations of God evolved over time.  God and the Jews basically set up a contract.  You take care of us and we'll worship only you.  Clearly worshipping another God was a violation of the contract--and left the people without protection.

By the time of Jonah, at least some people were beginning to understand that God did care about everybody. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2009 - 3:02AM #5
Jm8

Mar 27, 2009 -- 9:31AM, Philosopher Plebian wrote:

I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors

but I think that God has a sick sense of humor

and when I die, I expect to find him laughing

-Depeche Mode

I'm inclined to agree with this song. If God loves us, then we are indeed in a sick and twisted relationship considering all the misery caused by "acts of God".

When one accepts the existence of karma everything instantly makes sense.

"There is no fate other than we make." - Terminator2

Hope this helps. Hare Krishna

"This Krishna Consciousness is a science to understand what is the difference between a dead body and a living body". (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Your servant, bh. Jan

http://www.vrindavan-dham.com
http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 11:52PM #6
bytebear

When a parent puts their child into timeout, do you think the parent doesn't love that child?  I bet the kid thinks they aren't loved, but they are.  And after the punishment, there is always a blessing.   But do you think that all the Biblical stories are really about God punishing people, or is it about people blaming God for the bad things that happen to them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 10:24AM #7
CommieJesus

god has no emotions or feeling that is bias from one person to another in either way. Understand god first, it is not like a person. Of course most people cannot form an abstract thought and they an only feebly imagine god like an old man or some other entity. IT IS NOT! Faster you understand that closer you will get to the Truth.....

Mar 25, 2009 -- 7:35PM, Talies wrote:

Now first and formost this is not to get peoples dander up it is simply to ask a question.

In Exodus 34:14 it says accourding to the NIV bible:  Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

In 1 Corinthians 13 4-7 it says according to the NIV bible:  Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

From your readings in the bible do God's actions in the bible live up to how love is defined in the bible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 11:36AM #8
spiritheart

I learned a long time ago....Our relationship with God, rises as our relationship with others rises, even with strangers. Who knows when the first concept of an 'outer-God' made its way into the conscious 'soul' of humanity.... obviously there has been a lot of thought, effort put into this concept... as a result of these 'filters' we tend to see what we choose to see based either on Love or fear.

xiananarchistreally hit it on the nail when he reminded us of the 'emotional and cultural' 'filters' we view the world can be misguided 'perceptions' or beliefs if you will.  If the Truth sets us free...certainly fear is the very opposite. 

In our concept of their being or not being 'A God' who could fill this role and be God and yet not Love the World and all creation together as One. The moment man begin to imagine a God that favored him over another..was the moment Religion was born..the first Cultural filter if you will that Men justify to keep his eternal brother seemingly apart from him...

We have had teachers who have taught the Golden Rule....who taught to see others as yourself, the latter being misqualified as if the other is merely a family member (one who thinks alike)...but it goes so much deeper than this...to see oneself as a part of a greater whole...yet know that no part within this whole is greater than other.

Jesus is reported to have said, 'Let your Love be Perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect!'   For what power is love offered if given to only those liken onto you, as Jesus reportedly said, 'even the thief, the muderer and the 'tax collector' offers this kind of love to his own.  

So something greater is happening in the thing we call Life.  Life itself is not about a destiny or a distination, but the power of being.  We now know that energy which forms all matter often called 'Ether' or 'electro-dynamic-energy' is undestructable....like water it will move to the space of less resistance... thus the greatest form of energy is Love...more specifically Uncondtional Love.  In this state...the temporary is never mistaken for the eternal or for the Real. 

All suffering (the temporary) ends...so to get caught up in this delusion that there is a God out there that enjoys inflicting pain and suffering, or more importantly that this state of 'suffering' has permanance ....has confused the temporary with the Truth.  Imagine in yourself in your highest state of imagination if there was a God...what might he or she be like...this will (to me) ever be in alignment with one's own ability to see the power of Love in Motion in himself and others..beyond the 'filters'  of perception. Before we can unmask these filters, liken to seeing through 'the glass darkly' as it was once written, we must clear the lens of our filters with the virtue we call 'forgiveness'.  This perhaps is the key or the one ingredient inherent within all souls that can and will remove all filters that would seemingly separate what appears, but could never be separated.  The moment the soul awakens it will see clearly there really was nothing to forgive, for no one has been harmed in anyway. Again the temporary is what it is a temperary condition... no matter how real a dream appears it is still a dream...and the dream is something that occurs within. Jesus is reported to have said, '..There is nothing that entering into a man that can defile him...but that which comes out of his mouth (his mind) is that which 'only' can defile a man...'

Before we judge another...walk away and create in the mean time a 'space of love' for whatever separated you from another...to be healed.  God cannot speak to you...and not to your brother as well. thus to know God even in his simpliest of expressions we must seek to know one another...

With peace-Namaste j

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 5:02PM #9
Aryeha7

Mar 25, 2009 -- 7:35PM, Talies wrote:

Um, by WHOSE CRITERIA???????? And whose Bible?  The Jewish Scriptures, the xian one or the Koran or the Book of Mormon or the Watchtower.. who gets to set the criteria.

And again the Ten Commandments.. Sigh.  Context, context context!!!  You can't take one passage out of context and make a theology or even a supposition out of it.  

First off, the G-d of the Torah is NOT the G-d of the NT.. they're not the same being.  They can't be.  

Second.. you might want to read the entire book before commenting on it.  At the risk of going into a long drawn out explanation--The Hebrew alludes to G-d being an impassioned G-d.  600,000 people had just witnessed the Divine Revelation.  G-d has no form (read the Deuteronomy version of the acct as well) and Israel heard only a Voice.  That being said, since Israel had witnessed the Exodus from Egypt.  G-d wanted to make it crystal clear (the original 10 commandments were on stones of Sapphire) that He would NOT tolerate any other god before His presence (literally, "before My face").  It's not that G-d acknowledged that there were other gods.. He would say "there is no other power/savior by Me", but what's insulting is that after all G-d did, for Israel, for ANYONE to then worship earth, wood, stone or a human, that's insulting and that is why this enflames G-d.  ("what? you saw the real thing and then go and worship a no-god or gold, wood, stone or a baby as ME????) G-d also commands Israel to love Him unconditionally with all the heart, soul and resources.  The heart is NOT the center of emotion!  In ancient culture, the heart was the INTELLECT.   Don't forget, Israel had/has already agreed to the terms concerning this G-d.  So yeah, G-d has a right to be angry.. but He does not arouse His total rage, as the Psalmist says.

As for G-d's "love", again, this is human perspective, not really the Divine.  You have to take each action, each account on a case by case basis.  Just like you cannot make blanket statements about people, you can't make a blanket statement about G-d. 

As for the NT, I won't even begin to comment on that.  Those who tout love from its pages were hardly the bastions of such love.  Jeesus was vile, hateful, spiteful and disrespectful; starting first with his parents and culminating to his very disciples.  And Paul.. well, we won't go into the tirades and virolent tirades he spews from the pages of Galations, Romans and the books of Corinthians.  Too bad Paul never practiced what he preached.

Love does NOT mean, you're just all warm and gooey.  Love means fidelity, it means courage, it means telling the truth as it is.  I think the Romantic notions from the Victorian period has done more to damage the reality of love than most ever realize.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2009 - 8:50AM #10
xiananarchist

Apr 16, 2009 -- 5:02PM, Aryeha7 wrote:

...Jeesus was vile, hateful, spiteful and disrespectful; starting first with his parents and culminating to his very disciples. ...

That's quite a statement.  Care to elaborate on why you say that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook