Switch to Forum Live View Here's a Situation...
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 1:34AM #1
LiobaAsia

Here's a situation and please do tell me what you think about it:

There's this girl who is a Catholic. Both her parents are Catholics. She was never religious. She never went to church. She read the Bible once a month. It so happened that the girl read a book pertaining about the laws of the Jehovah's Witnesses, she also read things about the apocalypse and Judgment Day. Everything she read in that book inspired her. She started to believe. According to the book, people shouldn't worship God through idols and images. However, her family has images of Jesus Christ and the Vigin Mary. She even read that Christ was never nailed to a cross but was nailed to a pole, and learned that the sign of the cross was originally a pagan symbol.

She started to believe these things, and she taught her sisters about these. She reads the Bible and goes to church. Whenever she says these things to her parents, they always try to reason out with her, saying that it's a different faith. But she kept on believing and she wanted to be close to God.

Will she continue her belief in what the Jehovah's Witnesses say and be closer to God? If she will, then she would be dishonoring her parents which is against the Ten Commandments. If she won't, she will be back to her old Catholic Ways in worshipping God through idols, even if she believed it should not be so. What will she do?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 1:47AM #2
Redfrog777

Go out and talk to the trees.............listen to the earth and abandon the false gods of man. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 2:04AM #3
gorm-sionnach

Honouring and disagreeing are related but different. Simply because you disagree with your parents does not mean you are dishonouring them.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 2:38AM #4
Redfrog777

Good point Gorm

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 4:46PM #5
Ursyl

Your question is based upon a false premise.

Catholics do not worship idols. They do not worship the statues or anything else in their churches except the God of Abraham as understood in the trinitarian manner.

Therefor, you have created a false dichotomy in your whole concept.

And having done some reading about Jehovah's Witnesses recently in order to teach our UU Coming of Age students about that faith, I think the girl's parents are correct that it is a different faith. It's a form of Christianity as far as that goes, but in my opinion, exercises far too much control over its adherents' lives to not be considered to be a cult.

If she interprets honoring her parents to mean obeying them, then she should do so. Any religion that tries to get between family members is out of line.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 7:32PM #6
Beribee

Mar 15, 2009 -- 1:47AM, Redfrog777 wrote:

Go out and talk to the trees.............listen to the earth and abandon the false gods of man. 

That was really deep, Frog.  Beautifully said....I love it!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says, "Crap, she's up!"
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2009 - 12:57PM #7
Kalimat

Mar 15, 2009 -- 1:47AM, Redfrog777 wrote:

The trees and the earth all testify to the existence of God, down to each atom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2009 - 1:48AM #8
Redfrog777

Actually they testify to the death of stars billions of years ago, it is from there that those atoms originate. Long before men attempted to own the mystery by labeling it God. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2009 - 1:10PM #9
Geocorona

It is probably important for this girl to realize that the issues mentioned are at the core of neither Jehovah's Witnesses nor Catholicism. Some of the most vocal and attention-seeking members of both churches will focus on these unique doctrinal differences, but they completely miss the core points of Christianity.

Ask her: Is it really that important if Jesus was crucified on one beam or two? Did Jesus want his followers to fixate on a future event that still hasn't happened after 2000 years, or did he want them to change right here and now?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2009 - 10:50PM #10
REteach

I think everyone has to find God in ways that work for them.  However, working well for one person does not believe that those who find faith elsewhere are wrong.  Telling your family that they are worshipping idols, for example, does not strike me as being a way to reassure them that one is finding meaning elsewhere.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook