Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View ''Abandoned'' Virtues
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:24PM #1
gorm-sionnach
One of the aspects of my tradition which initially drew me to it, beyond the mythology and my cultural heritage, was its value positive system of ethics. I believe that the virtues espoused by my tradition are worthwhile, but some of them are seemingly at odds or have been pushed to the back burner in terms of their relevance to modern society. Which got me to thinking about what virtues which were once held to be worthwhile, have been abandoned or relegated to a state of unimportance in today's world?

Some actions or values which I can think of that seem to fit into this ''dustbin'' of history, but which many would still argue have merit. (Keep in mind that while i may agree with some, I may also disagree with others that I list, it is really just a matter of inclusiveness)

So, a short list then.

Honour.
Chastity.
Pride.
Bravery.
Righteousness.
Piety.
Humility.

Fell free to add your own, or discuss the one's I've listed.
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:29PM #2
Chiyo
Rightly or wrongly, Chastity went into the dustbin with the advent of antibiotics. However, as "superbugs" and antibiotic resistant STDs continue to threaten the human race, we may very well see a return to the virtue Chastity in all religions and in the secular realm as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:32PM #3
gillyflower
I think it was more men wanting to guarantee that they were the ones passing their genes along, rather than the good looking farm hand, while he was away.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:41PM #4
Chiyo

gillyflower wrote:

I think it was more men wanting to guarantee that they were the ones passing their genes along, rather than the good looking farm hand, while he was away.

That's what the chastity belt was for. :eek:

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:45PM #5
gorm-sionnach
One could also argue that chastity was a virtue because it was another aspect of self control, and as giving into desires as opposed to right action was seen as unethical. Then again, only in societies which saw sexual congress as something wrong in and of itself, this makes sense. From the perspective of a culture where sex was not held in this light, but even vaunted, it would make no sense at all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:24PM #6
gorm-sionnach
One of the aspects of my tradition which initially drew me to it, beyond the mythology and my cultural heritage, was its value positive system of ethics. I believe that the virtues espoused by my tradition are worthwhile, but some of them are seemingly at odds or have been pushed to the back burner in terms of their relevance to modern society. Which got me to thinking about what virtues which were once held to be worthwhile, have been abandoned or relegated to a state of unimportance in today's world?

Some actions or values which I can think of that seem to fit into this ''dustbin'' of history, but which many would still argue have merit. (Keep in mind that while i may agree with some, I may also disagree with others that I list, it is really just a matter of inclusiveness)

So, a short list then.

Honour.
Chastity.
Pride.
Bravery.
Righteousness.
Piety.
Humility.

Fell free to add your own, or discuss the one's I've listed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:29PM #7
Chiyo
Rightly or wrongly, Chastity went into the dustbin with the advent of antibiotics. However, as "superbugs" and antibiotic resistant STDs continue to threaten the human race, we may very well see a return to the virtue Chastity in all religions and in the secular realm as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:32PM #8
gillyflower
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:41PM #9
Chiyo

gillyflower wrote:

That's what the chastity belt was for. :eek:

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:45PM #10
gorm-sionnach
One could also argue that chastity was a virtue because it was another aspect of self control, and as giving into desires as opposed to right action was seen as unethical. Then again, only in societies which saw sexual congress as something wrong in and of itself, this makes sense. From the perspective of a culture where sex was not held in this light, but even vaunted, it would make no sense at all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook