Page 6 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Holiday Door-to-Door Proselytizing
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2009 - 10:52PM #51
gorm-sionnach

Books can be really soft though...

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2009 - 2:36PM #52
Ursyl

Not soft enough for a good night's sleep!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2009 - 5:42PM #53
Djerekson

Mormon missionaries knock on doors almost EVERY day.  But, since you are generally home on holidays, that is when they get you at home.  It is completely random.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2009 - 5:45PM #54
Djerekson

Feb 23, 2009 -- 9:45AM, War_Eagle wrote:

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

You say so.

Yes, I say so because the Bible says so. 

You will find that The Pew Forum, something of an authority in the matter, includes them under the banner of Christian.

Then the Pew Forum needs to read the Bible.  According to no less a spiritual authority than Jesus Christ, there are criteria one must meet in order to be considered a Christian. Neither JWs nor Mormons meet these criteria.

Actually, the Bible says you are wrong.  Christ does as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2009 - 12:28AM #55
ManzanitaBear

Yes, this is old, but....

Feb 23, 2009 -- 7:37AM, gillyflower wrote:

I think it is a bad idea, too. I think that it is just fine to have different faith materials at the front desk that one can give to a customer if there is a request but putting it in the room is proselytizing. Unless you want to put faith materials from every religion in each room, well, you are making it pretty clear who is welcome in your motel and who you'd like to covert.

If I stay in a hotel with a Gideon Bible in the room (and there pretty much always are), I just ignore it, unless I get a sudden urge to look something up.  I really don't care one way or another.

I used to work at an independent hotel, and I noticed whenever I went into the rooms (I was a housekeeper), if people seemed to be reading the Bible at all--had it out--they'd brought their own.  Everyone else just left it in a drawer.  We did put Gideon Bibles in the rooms; the Gideon Society (which is separate from any hotel) came around with them about once a year.  The hotel itself did not have any religious bent; management certainly did not.  That's just one of those things that's in a hotel room, take it or leave it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2009 - 9:01PM #56
Katmandu2

How would the Christians like it if we non-Christians acted as they do?  How would they like it if we demanded that our messages be allowed in schools and courthouses?  How would they like it if we went to their doors or workplaces and handed out pamphlets advertising our beliefs?  I'm just wondering.......

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2009 - 3:42PM #57
TPaine

Sep 26, 2009 -- 9:01PM, Katmandu2 wrote:

How would the Christians like it if we non-Christians acted as they do?  How would they like it if we demanded that our messages be allowed in schools and courthouses?  How would they like it if we went to their doors or workplaces and handed out pamphlets advertising our beliefs?  I'm just wondering.......

If you want to hear them scream, find a Muslim organization that would place a Qur’ān in every hotel room right next to the Gideon's Bible.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2009 - 10:17PM #58
Confusedman

That's just rude.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 2:50PM #59
TPaine

Sep 30, 2009 -- 10:17PM, Confusedman wrote:

That's just rude.

Are you saying placing the the Qur’ān, or for that matter the Tanakh or the Vedas, in hotel rooms would be rude? If so, why?

Is it not rude that the Southern Baptist Association puts out "prayer guides" meant to assist their members in praying for those of other religions to convert to Christianity?

Each of these guides is written about a specific religion. They are generally printed in advance of that religion's major seasonal holy day(s). For example, perhaps the most controversial "prayer guide was designed to help Southern Baptists to pray for the conversion of their Jewish friends and neighbors as the Jews observe Rosh Hashanah."

www.religioustolerance.org/sbc_pray.htm

IMO, this policy is not only rude, it is also extremely arrogant.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 3:05PM #60
mainecaptain

Sep 30, 2009 -- 10:17PM, Confusedman wrote:

That's just rude.

Yes how is that rude? It would give a look at the diversity of the world and it would be more fair. Not just one sided. And in addition it would give people something different to read. Variety is a good thing.

Having a open mind is a good thing. Understanding other faiths is a good thing.

There is nothing rude about it. It would not only not be rude. It would of benefit to anyone who actually chose to read those other books.

There are few things nastier or more unethical, then trying to convert someone from their own faith to Christianity, that is rude.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook