Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View WOOOO WHOOOOO Friday the 13!!!!
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 1:15PM #1
Redfrog777
Hey ya'll it is Friday the 13th!!!! A grand and glorious date! My 13th birthday was on Friday the 13th and I love that I can say that!

So I just wanted to take this time to say to all of my friends thank you for being in the world. I am truly grateful to have come across you bunch of nuts!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 1:38PM #2
TPaine

Redfrog777 wrote:

Hey ya'll it is Friday the 13th!!!! A grand and glorious date! My 13th birthday was on Friday the 13th and I love that I can say that!

So I just wanted to take this time to say to all of my friends thank you for being in the world. I am truly grateful to have come across you bunch of nuts!

I just wanted to add some information from wikipedia on why some people have a problem with Friday the 13th.

* In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve signs of the zodiac, twelve hours of the clock, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles of Jesus, twelve gods of Olympus, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.[5]
    * Friday has been considered an unlucky day at least since the 14th century's The Canterbury Tales,[3] and many other professions have regarded Friday as an unlucky day to undertake journeys or begin new projects. Black Friday has been associated with stock market crashes and other disasters since the 1800s.[6][9] It has also been suggested that Friday was the day that Jesus was crucified. [10]

On the other hand, another theory by author Charles Panati, one of the leading authorities on the subject of "Origins" maintains that the superstition can be traced back to ancient myth:

The actual origin of the superstition, though, appears also to be a tale in Norse mythology. Friday is named for Frigga, the free-spirited goddess of love and fertility. When Norse and Germanic tribes converted to Christianity, Frigga was banished in shame to a mountaintop and labeled a witch. It was believed that every Friday, the spiteful goddess convened a meeting with eleven other witches, plus the devil - a gathering of thirteen - and plotted ill turns of fate for the coming week. For many centuries in Scandinavia, Friday was known as "Witches' Sabbath."[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 1:44PM #3
TPaine

Redfrog777 wrote:

I just wanted to add some information from wikipedia on why some people have a problem with Friday the 13th.

* In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve signs of the zodiac, twelve hours of the clock, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles of Jesus, twelve gods of Olympus, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.[5]
    * Friday has been considered an unlucky day at least since the 14th century's The Canterbury Tales,[3] and many other professions have regarded Friday as an unlucky day to undertake journeys or begin new projects. Black Friday has been associated with stock market crashes and other disasters since the 1800s.[6][9] It has also been suggested that Friday was the day that Jesus was crucified. [10]

On the other hand, another theory by author Charles Panati, one of the leading authorities on the subject of "Origins" maintains that the superstition can be traced back to ancient myth:

The actual origin of the superstition, though, appears also to be a tale in Norse mythology. Friday is named for Frigga, the free-spirited goddess of love and fertility. When Norse and Germanic tribes converted to Christianity, Frigga was banished in shame to a mountaintop and labeled a witch. It was believed that every Friday, the spiteful goddess convened a meeting with eleven other witches, plus the devil - a gathering of thirteen - and plotted ill turns of fate for the coming week. For many centuries in Scandinavia, Friday was known as "Witches' Sabbath."[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th
Wouldn't you know that someone would find some way to blame witches. Turning the goddess of love into someone evil requires quite a stretch of reason, but Xians have always been good at that.

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 5:35PM #4
hahayana
The origin of the bad rap for Friday 13 goes back to the day the Knights Templar were rounded up in 1307.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 5:44PM #5
mainecaptain

Redfrog777 wrote:

I love Friday the 13th and we have 3 this year!!!.
Next month "March"  and November Yippee :D

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 6:12PM #6
Free2beme09

Redfrog777 wrote:

Wow Redfrog that must have been an exciting bday for a 13 year old.  Every time I say Friday the 13th my kids follow with whooo!  :p

Religion is for those afraid of hell.  Spirituality is had by those who have been there!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 6:36PM #7
mainecaptain

Redfrog777 wrote:

I forgot to say silly goose, how cool is that!:D

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 6:36PM #8
Redfrog777
Hey Cap.!!!!!YOUR RIGHT!!!! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!!!!!

How coooooool!!!!! Is that!!!!!!

yeah free it was really cool! I really just had a great day, by myself going to the ice cream shop riding my bike following the RXR tracks in to Northridge!!!! Just a great day for a kid.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 7:10PM #9
Sacrificialgoddess
It's a lucky Friday the 13th!   Dollhouse premieres tonight, guys!  Set your VCRs!
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 7:13PM #10
Redfrog777
What's a VCR??????
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement