Switch to Forum Live View Why I Like Being a Lutheran
6 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2009 - 5:09PM #1
Acolyte
A few of the things I like about being a Lutheran:

-- Martin Luther's recognition that we are saints and sinners at the same time (a sort of Protestant yin-yang).
-- The musicality of the Lutheran service (Bach was one of us, you know).
-- Our involvement in social issues without succumbing to being owned by one political party or the other.
-- The rigorous education required of our clergy.

I want to leave room for others to comment, so this is all for now. All others are welcome to join the conversation...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2009 - 5:22PM #2
gorm-sionnach

Acolyte wrote:

-- Martin Luther's recognition that we are saints and sinners at the same time (a sort of Protestant yin-yang).
-- Our involvement in social issues without succumbing to being owned by one political party or the other.

I want to leave room for others to comment, so this is all for now. All others are welcome to join the conversation...

Good on ya'

Welcome to mulifaith:D

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 7:51PM #3
Acolyte
Thanks for the welcome, Gorm. I like the signatures in your message, particularly the one about life strategies... :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 7:51PM #4
Acolyte
Thanks for the welcome, Gorm. I like the signatures in your message, particularly the one about life strategies... :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 3:40PM #5
JGL57

Acolyte wrote:

That's all fine and well but:

1. Catholics believe in transubstantiation of the Host.

2. Lutherans believe in consubstatiation of the Host.

Somebody is going to Hell.

Will it be you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 3:58PM #6
TigersEyeDowsing

A thousand denominations and only ONE, at most, can be right.

If you're talking about Christianity the estimate is more like 22,000 denominations, and there's no reason why only one denomination - or one faith - 'can be right'.

JGL, A friendly reminder this board is not to discuss or debate religion.  Keep that to the 'discussion, dialogue and debate' boards.  This board, and this thread in particular, is about why you like being a Lutheran. 

Thanks.

Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 3:29PM #7
onenessguy8
Hi Acolyte,
I grew up as a Lutheran and enjoyed the experience.  I agree with your reasons. I liked the Lutheran approach to life.  However, I have since moved on because the Lutheran ministers couldn't really answer my questions about reincarnation and the role of Jesus in our lives. I now firmly believe in the oneness of all life and that we gradually save ourselves over many lifetimes.  Jesus will help us, but we rise by our own will power. We are co-creating our own experiences.  sincerely, Onenessguy
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook