Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View To preach or not to preach....
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 11:01PM #1
Xristocharis
First of all, hi! Never been to this part of bnet, I'm bored so I thought I'd take a stroll.

The Celt wrote:

Do you proselytize?

I don't hand out tracts, knock on doors, stand on street corners or do anything obnoxious. But if people have questions about my faith, I'm more than willing to tell them what I believe. I think the best witness I can be is simply trying to live my life in the service of Jesus Christ. I screw up most of the time I wager, but I try.

what reactions have you gotten?

Depends really. On average most people who find out I'm a Christian feel a strong need to make sure I'm not going to be a jerk, or say in no uncertain terms not to discuss religion with them. Every so often I'll meet people who find out I'm a Christian and feel the need to be a jerk to me.

has someone proselytized to you?

Yes.

how did they do it?

Depends really.

when did they do it?
where did they do it?
what was your relationship with this person?

Various times in my life. No one place and different people.

how did you react?

Well, to offer a personal story: A few years ago some Mormon missionaries came over and, because I'd never had Mormons preach to me before, wanted to experience it first hand, as well as learn more and ask questions. That meeting ended with the main missionary guy getting livid and storming out. I don't think I was trying to be a jerk, I had legitimate questions because there were gaps I wanted filled but there were moments I also had legitimate objections and voiced them if I thought it appropriate. Ultimately it was just a question I had that pissed him off.

It depends on the situation, but I like to think I'm pretty willing to hear what people have to say; there are other times when I really don't have the patience for it and I'm perfectly capable of being both a smart ass and a jackass.

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 11:20PM #2
Genocon
Welcome, Jon! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 12:03AM #3
TPaine

Genocon wrote:

Welcome, Jon! :)

I'd like to second that welcome, Jon. It's always nice to have new people join our small but nice band of misfits. Out of curiosity, what forums do you usually hang out in?

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 12:12AM #4
Wmdkitty

Godgirl wrote:

ItsAllALie wrote:

The fact is it simply made no sense for God to send a jew AS GOD in human form to be sacrificed for sins,,,,,,It would have been completely foreign to Jews

Can you please explain this (to me someone who has a christian background) I dont want to argue i just want to know the reasons. Thanks.

Christianity: God sent Himself to Earth, to sacrifice Himself to Himself, to change a rule that He, Himself, made. This makes no sense at all, really -- IF he's omnipotent, he can change the rules at will.

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 12:47AM #5
gorm-sionnach
Hooray for misfits, vagabonds, drifters, outsiders and yes, even hobo's (proverbial though they may be)
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 10:40AM #6
Xristocharis

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genocon                     http://community.beliefnet.com/forums/s … ost1065487                 
                 Welcome, Jon!

I'd like to second that welcome, Jon. It's always nice to have new people join our small but nice band of misfits. Out of curiosity, what forums do you usually hang out in?

Thanks Genocon and TPaine, I normally hang out on the Christian-to-Christian and Discuss Christianity boards, occasionally I'll visit the Discuss Evangelical Christianity board and the Apocalypse and End Times board. I'm more of a theology geek, so I'm usually where I can talk theology.

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 7:41PM #7
Genocon

Xristocharis wrote:

Thanks Genocon and TPaine, I normally hang out on the Christian-to-Christian and Discuss Christianity boards, occasionally I'll visit the Discuss Evangelical Christianity board and the Apocalypse and End Times board. I'm more of a theology geek, so I'm usually where I can talk theology.

-Jon

Definitely stick around. We could use a intelligent, thoughtful guy like you (I lurk on Discuss Christianity and various other boards, so I'm familiar with your work ;)).

Oh, and we're sort-of neighbors (I'm in Longview).

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 5:20AM #8
kwd111

Godgirl wrote:

ItsAllALie wrote:

The fact is it simply made no sense for God to send a jew AS GOD in human form to be sacrificed for sins,,,,,,It would have been completely foreign to Jews

Can you please explain this (to me someone who has a christian background) I dont want to argue i just want to know the reasons. Thanks.

I'm not so sure...  If memory serves me correctly - It was the Jews that spread the Gospel, basically, until God showed that it was OK to preach to the Gentiles.

And certainly Paul made no bones that it was God in the flesh - and He was a Jew.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 5:33AM #9
kwd111
Do you proselytize?
Yes

If so:
why?
Because it was commanded and because I want people to know.
To whom?
To Whosoever.
when?
That varies.  It depends on circumstances, time etc.
where?
that varies too.
how?
:) that varies too.
Once to a cashier that had no customers - received on the spot.  Once to a copier salesman - talking in terms of a salesman.  Once to an insurance agent in  terms of insurance.  I try to speak in terms of a persons point of reference - but not always

what reactions have you gotten?

From not interested, to thank you, to accepting the Lordship of Jesus Christ

has someone proselytized to you?
yes
how did they do it?
usually by direct contact with brochures, a Bible, or "would you like to buy a rose? Would you like to give an offering for the book I just gave to you free?
when and where did they do it?
home, school and street and airport respectively

what was your relationship with this person?
absolutely none
how did you react?
home - with interest - school - grabbed the Bible and said thank you (going to class and he wasn't sharing just giving) rose (no thank you and kept walking) - Airport (grabbed it, laughed and said no - you told me it was a gift - and then threw it in the garbage further down :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 5:38AM #10
kwd111
PS...

If phone salesmans classify as proselytising then I don't like it.  :)
But sometimes I ask if they have received Jesus Christ! :) Have gotten from dead silence to hanging up to "Thanks for asking - I'm already saved"
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook