Page 3 of 16  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Living within one's means.
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 12:32PM #21
itty

mainecaptain wrote:

Everyone here has wonderful tips and suggestions.

I need a freezer. I too get all my "new" clothes from thrift shops, I get nice things and keep the budget. Mind you I haven't bought clothes for myself in a couple of years.

The pet food is killing me though and the vet bill. :o

Well if you can get on Craig's List you may be able to find a serviceable freezer near you that is inexpensive or free. I put the old dryer on Craig's list and gave it away when I got a new one for the house. That dryer wasn't the new, sleek, greatly energy efficient one that I bought. It was in good condition and had years of life left. Maybe you could find one like that. Its a hope and a thought.

Cap, I don't know what you will think of the following. I hope you won't get offended. Ummm, I don't take my critters to the vet for their shots. I can get them at the local feed store and I do them myself. I DO have some background from my Reserve medic days. I do know how to administer shots. If you could do it for yourself (you are so very kind and tender hearted I am sort of afraid that it would hard for you to 'hurt' one of your precious babies) it would save quite a bit of money. Your vet, if he understands the situation, would probably be willing to teach you how to administer them. IF you can do it then you could get instructed about it and practice on am orange. I do that from time to time just to keep my skills. I don't want to hurt any of the critters needlessly.

Of course with the other needs it is harder. Can you talk to your vet about a group discount? My vet does that for me. I think others do.

Just a couple of thoughts for you Dear One. I do understand the need for good vet care. I will eat beans and bread in order to get my critters the care they must have. I've done it. I'd do it again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 12:46PM #22
mainecaptain

LeahOne wrote:

Maine, we buy our catfood in 20-pound bags - through the vet since FlufftheLion has FUS (URINARY PROBLEM) and needs special food.  I guess it'd be worth a try to see if there's some way to barter for a reduction in pric on the food?  Our vet's is a large practice, but maybe if yours isn't - could you offer to do some work for part of the bills?

itty wrote:

Well if you can get on Craig's List you may be able to find a serviceable freezer near you that is inexpensive or free. I put the old dryer on Craig's list and gave it away when I got a new one for the house. That dryer wasn't the new, sleek, greatly energy efficient one that I bought. It was in good condition and had years of life left. Maybe you could find one like that. Its a hope and a thought.

Cap, I don't know what you will think of the following. I hope you won't get offended. Ummm, I don't take my critters to the vet for their shots. I can get them at the local feed store and I do them myself. I DO have some background from my Reserve medic days. I do know how to administer shots. If you could do it for yourself (you are so very kind and tender hearted I am sort of afraid that it would hard for you to 'hurt' one of your precious babies) it would save quite a bit of money. Your vet, if he understands the situation, would probably be willing to teach you how to administer them. IF you can do it then you could get instructed about it and practice on am orange. I do that from time to time just to keep my skills. I don't want to hurt any of the critters needlessly.

Of course with the other needs it is harder. Can you talk to your vet about a group discount? My vet does that for me. I think others do.

Just a couple of thoughts for you Dear One. I do understand the need for good vet care. I will eat beans and bread in order to get my critters the care they must have. I've done it. I'd do it again.

((((((((((((Leah)))))))) And ((((((((((((Itty)))))))))))

You two are so great.  I am embarrassed to say how broke I am. If I did not work on line I would have to give up the internet, which I can't afford. I can live cheap on pasta and beans and simple things

But the animals are what matters to me. And at the moment I have three with problems
Two of my cats are on Urinary food for FUS. And the dog needs an eye operation.

My vet is a really nice and does allow me to pay over time. but I am still paying them for work done on the baby (my youngest rescue)  last year. So I am waiting until the bill is paid off to take the next one to the vet. And one of the cats is showing signs of not feeling well, so there you go.

I am not complaining  Not at all. I just wish I had more for them.
And two of cats (would you believe it) don't get a long,  so much that one hides most of the time. Itty if you live closer you would have a giant Silver double pawed  boy trying to live with you.

I will look on craigs list for the freezer though it would be great to buy bulk.
Don't worry about me, having friends like you have such a wonderful effect on my mental state Thank you so much:):)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 12:46PM #23
gillyflower
There are also vet clinics put on by the SPCA here locally where you can get discounts of rabies shots. They had them for $2.00 last time in this area. Then there are all the other shots.... I had a holistic vet a while back who was of the opinion that we Americans over inoculate. She felt that if an animal wasn't exposed to outside animals then there really wasn't a big need (or desirable) to get the shots so often. It is something to explore.

Plus you might look into vets who do house calls. Like Itty I've bought the shots - never could get up the courage to do it myself but usually there would be someone at the barn (we boarded some times) who did it. The other thing was that the vets who came for the horses would just go ahead a vaccinate all the other critters. Sometimes several neighbors would go in on it, too. And up in the mountains we had a vet who only made house calls. That way she didn't have to have a clinic.

On the other hand, if you have a medical emergency it can get really expensive. I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for that.

Oops, you posted. Sorry MC! It sounds like you are doing the best you can already. (((((((mc))))))))
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 12:49PM #24
mainecaptain
WOW Gilly you got in there before I posted. Yes I do intend to take advantage of low cost rabies shots. I am looking into that.

Oh and I forgot to mention. I will look into giving the shots myself. If I can bring myself to do. You are right about me Itty :o  It's hard

Thank you Gilly I appreciate it, and you:)
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 12:51PM #25
mainecaptain
see I haz tuf

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 12:56PM #26
gillyflower
MC, if you don't mind answering, what business are you in? You've mentioned it several times.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 1:07PM #27
mainecaptain
I sell things, I would be a salesman if I were a man.
I work at home. Up until recently things were not bad, I was not rich but I was alright. (ofcourse the vets bills did hurt. :o )

But the economy being what it is, has slowed my sales more then I would believe possible.
I am working on improving my sewing skills, because a neighbour who has a thriving business will throw some business my way if I can do the work. (Home decor )but.....

I do have the rental the makes a world of difference with the mortgage, but after that I am the bread winner.

Otherwise I do what ever I can that is legal. :o

If all the animals were in perfect health I probably would not notice my financial situation as much as I do. They make me aware of what I am presently unable to do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 1:15PM #28
mainecaptain
Please forgive me for seeming whiny. I did not mean to lay this out on any of you.

I'll make, I somehow manage to stay just above water. Hope I did not bring anyone down.
You mean so much to me, my friends
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 1:34PM #29
itty

mainecaptain wrote:

Please forgive me for seeming whiny. I did not mean to lay this out on any of you.

I'll make, I somehow manage to stay just above water. Hope I did not bring anyone down.
You mean so much to me, my friends

I am going to get after you just a little bit Cap. Whinny? No, you are not!  You STOP thinking like that!  I can completely understand having little money. I have little money, Darlin'. I am now on Social Security Disability and I am like you, Sweets, I am BROKE! I do have family here and that is why I can live here and why I can do some of the things I can do. Otherwise I would be living on beans and pasta while being terrified that one of the tribe would have a serious illness that I absolutely could not afford. We are alike in this Cap. You aren't whinny in the least little bit.

These are tough times for everyone. Some of us may be a little closer to the bone than others but every one is pinched. No need to EVER be embarrassed about that! I am not. You should not be either. So don't do that, okay? Please? Okay?

I just hope we can all come together here on this thread and use our combined noodles to help each other find ways to keep our quality of life and do it a bit more cheaply. It looks like we have a good start.

You sew? Well if you sew some speciality items or you can then see if you can do some word of mouth advertising. Working with your friend is an excellent idea. I will pray that this takes off for you.  At this point I don't have any FUS cats. Not here in the house and not in the barn. I had had them in the past and their food is VERY expensive. Gilly made great suggestions. While my vet won't do barter for all the payment of a vet bill he is not adverse to trade for part of it. When my itty was ill he agreed to let my SIL and I be his cleaning service to work part of the debt off. It was a fair trade. He didn't have to bring in a cleaning company and we got a discount. In fact this is how he gets his office cleaned. I have also helped the staff with animals there that needed to have overnight supervision. I obviously couldn't do vet work but these animals needed someone to watch over them and be able to get the vet or an assistant there if they had distress.

Again, don't you ever, no EVER, feel bad about your finances! It's a rough world Cap. We who are friends look out for one another.

{{{{{{{{{{Cap}}}}}}}}}}

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 2:06PM #30
mainecaptain
Oh ((((Itty)) you have made my day. Thank you so much. I will ask the vet about such things, and I will ask my local Humane society if they can help with some bills as well.  They did last years for the baby.

And I can sew curtains quite well, and I am going to learn more so that I can work from home. I have a touch of Enochlophobia and working in crowded settings has an effect, which is why I love working from home.

I am looking into other means of earning a living as well. I will find a way to work out something with the vet I will use  your and Gilly's suggestions :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 16  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook