Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Living within one's means.
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 7:14AM #1
peterthesplitfish
Shalom Everyone,

Well with the economy in the dog house so to speak, I thought I'd start a thread in which people can make suggestions or share information on how to cut back and live within one's means.

I've been out of steady work for just over 3 years now, so my wife and I have already cut back, and yet, I've cut back even more. I've begun selling things that 10 years ago I thought I couldn't live without. We have a rule to that if we've not touched it in over a year, we can live without it.

Two big items I've decided I can live without are a 1947 Ford pickup that I haven't done anything to in 8 years. It is just a toy and can go. I've retired from playing my horn now, so I'm selling all my horn stuff and music too. Well, I really have a crappy boat, but I just want that out of the driveway more than anything (in other words, it isn't worth a plum nickel).

I've stopped buying roses. I've stopped buying antiques. I'm selling off all our extras now or giving them away to someone who needs them more than I.

My wife has always bought and sold clothes through a secondhand shop twice a year, but now that the kids are older, most of what they can't wear anymore goes to Goodwill.

Well, I look forward to learning some other tricks.

Peter M.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 9:47AM #2
Sacrificialgoddess
[QUOTE=peterthesplitfish;891843]Shalom Everyone,

Well with the economy in the dog house so to speak, I thought I'd start a thread in which people can make suggestions or share information on how to cut back and live within one's means.

I've been out of steady work for just over 3 years now, so my wife and I have already cut back, and yet, I've cut back even more. I've begun selling things that 10 years ago I thought I couldn't live without. We have a rule to that if we've not touched it in over a year, we can live without it.

Two big items I've decided I can live without are a 1947 Ford pickup that I haven't done anything to in 8 years. It is just a toy and can go. I've retired from playing my horn now, so I'm selling all my horn stuff and music too. Well, I really have a crappy boat, but I just want that out of the driveway more than anything (in other words, it isn't worth a plum nickel).

I've stopped buying roses. I've stopped buying antiques. I'm selling off all our extras now or giving them away to someone who needs them more than I.

My wife has always bought and sold clothes through a secondhand shop twice a year, but now that the kids are older, most of what they can't wear anymore goes to Goodwill.

Well, I look forward to learning some other tricks.

Peter M.[/QUOTE]

Please describe your horn Peter.  I am a French horn player, and I am always looking for new horn stuff.  :D
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 3:24PM #3
ItsAllALie
we have started buying all our meat on "clearance" and freezing immediately,,,,,if it (almost anything) is not on sale, I dont buy it,,,,,I started holiday shopping in May this year and did one gift a week,,,,,,,I'm done now,,,,,,we no longer buy brand name except a very few items I just really don't like the Walmart brand of,,,,,,we eat out less, and at less expensive restaurants,,,dollar menu off McDonalds more and more,,and I shop at used clothing stores for bargains,,,,and I find new clothing with TAGS STILL ON!!!!,,,We combine trips more than we used to,,,,I used to think nothign of going to Walmart 2 or 3 times a day,,,not anymore,,,I go once and hit them all, or it can wait for another day,,,,and I think I'm going fro part time to almost full time at work because hubby's work is cutting down on OT,,,

Holly
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 3:54PM #4
peterthesplitfish
Shalom Itsall...

Have you thought about making a weekly menu for dinners and lunches? We've done that for years and it cuts down on trips. We get the double Sunday paper and my daughter cuts the coupons out as her task. I grow as much food as I can to cut down some or eat things that go farther in the digestion. One example would be to eat an apple before a meal. That has been shown to cut one's caloric intake by some 150 to 200 calories by filling the stomach up with a fiber rich food.

Peter M.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 5:38PM #5
ItsAllALie

peterthesplitfish wrote:

Shalom Itsall...

Have you thought about making a weekly menu for dinners and lunches? We've done that for years and it cuts down on trips. We get the double Sunday paper and my daughter cuts the coupons out as her task. I grow as much food as I can to cut down some or eat things that go farther in the digestion. One example would be to eat an apple before a meal. That has been shown to cut one's caloric intake by some 150 to 200 calories by filling the stomach up with a fiber rich food.

Peter M.

thats my next step,,,,,,,and it's killing me:D I used to have a weekly shopping list, done by aisle, with every item I purchased regularly on it,,,,with my menu all planned out for the week,,,,,,

as I ran out, I'd highlight the item, then get a fresh one after Id shopped,,,,,,,,it cut down on my grocery bill considerably by simply not buying those extras,,,,,,

I'd allow each child to choose a special snack (cookies or something),,,but only ONE,,,

today it seems like I'm going daily for something for dinner, and THAT is the most expensive way to shop,,,,,,,

Im working on it:D Holly

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 5:39PM #6
Chiyo
Something that will help both save your money and boost your health is to eat a vegetarian dinner every other day - cut down on your meat consumption.

Here's one excellent and easy vegetarian recipe, a weekend favorite around here; in 9 years of serving this dish to all my family and friends, I have as yet to see anyone who did not like it enough to go back for seconds. :)

Brown Rice and Black Bean Burritos
serves 4 to 6

4 large (10 inch) flour tortillas
1/3 cup finely chopped, seeded tomatoes
3 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons minced green bell peppers
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked black beans
1/2 cup mild or medium salsa
1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese.
1 cup guacamole (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven; heat about 5 to 10 minutes or until tortillas are warm and pliable.

2) While the tortillas are heating, combine the tomatoes, onion and green pepper in a bowl; set aside.

3) In a 1-quart sauce-pan, stir together the brown rice, beans and salsa. Cooke over low heat until heated through, about 4 minutes.

4) Remove the tortillas from the oven. Place one on a serving plate. Place 1/4 of the bean mixture ( a generous 1/2 cup) in the center of the tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, then 1/4 cup guacamole and 1/4 of the tomato mixutre.

5) Fold two opposite sides of the tortilla over the filling. Lift the edge of one of the remaining sides, fold it over filling and roll to form a very wide log. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

From a book called; "1,ooo Vegetarian Recipes".

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 5:46PM #7
Kimberly8
We've done a great deal of cutting back as well.  I called our utilities companies and begged for discounts, a cheaper rate, whatever they were willing to give us.  Some even had specials that would last for 6 months, better than not at all.  Then cancelled other amenities or scaled down.  We buy our meat frozen from Celebrity Foods, and we have a decent discount so we aren't paying much in the way of meat, watch the sales on bread, milk, dairy and veggies.  Lots of rice and noodles!   We haven't been able to buy gifts, so we make cards and decorate them.  I ride the train in to work and avoid driving as much as possible.  We also try to have a potluck at least once if not twice a month to bring our friends and families together and socialize on a budget.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 5:46PM #8
peterthesplitfish
Shalom Chiyo,

I am an Ebionite Nazirene therefore I am a vegetarian. Maybe you haven't seen those posts of mine in this wide world of bnet?

Peter M.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 5:53PM #9
ItsAllALie

Chiyo wrote:

Something that will help both save your money and boost your health is to eat a vegetarian dinner every other day - cut down on your meat consumption.

Here's one excellent and easy vegetarian recipe, a weekend favorite around here; in 9 years of serving this dish to all my family and friends, I have as yet to see anyone who did not like it enough to go back for seconds. :)

ooooooooo lemme tell you,,,I'm not even close to a vegetarian and that sounds DELICIOUS!!! I'm gonna try that :)  Holly

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 5:54PM #10
ItsAllALie

peterthesplitfish wrote:

Shalom Chiyo,

I am an Ebionite Nazirene therefore I am a vegetarian. Maybe you haven't seen those posts of mine in this wide world of bnet?

Peter M.

Hey, Peter,,,,just because I'm ignorant and don't have a clue here,,,,,what exactly IS an Ebionite Nazirene????? Just so I don't feel clueless here,,,,,,,,,thanks :)  Holly

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook