Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 12:06PM #1
delicaterose
Hi well were do i start if you visit my profile page i explain most of how i'm feeling right now ...been a christian for about 20 years and i'm very discourage in alot of things i have seen and heard .The experiences i've been through....right now i've been seeking more spiritual thing in my life . i'm trying to find were i belong . I have been reading about other faiths and is very interested to learn more .  if any one have any suggestions please reply

Thanks
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 2:19PM #2
peterthesplitfish
Shalom Delicaterose,

Welcome first of all. What you are feeling is your inner voice telling you a deeper truth that the church can provide you. What you experiencing at church is what I've heard and what also call being spiritually flatlined. Seeking is the way that Yeshua taught through example and the church squashed this practice to keep people mindless idiots.

Now being a seeker is one who seeks truth. Well you have to find what is truth within yourself. You have one true teacher within that goes by many names throughout history and is very misunderstood by the non mystical spiritual followers of the Church of Constantine for that is what the Christian church is derived from.

The feeling of not belonging is felt by many who see the church for what it is. What you will find here on this particular forum is people from various backgrounds who have gone through many of the same feelings that you have. They have chosen their paths by what they decide to do not what someone else tells them to do or believe.

You have to ask yourself what it is you want out of this life and not be afraid to go after it. Don't let fear drive you either. I would suggest a cleansing of sorts of the mind, body, and spirit, which would involve changing behaviors that damage the mind, body, and spirit.

Again, glad to have you here and look forward to more info from you.

Peter M.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 2:19PM #3
Sakhaiva

delicaterose wrote:

Hi well were do i start if you visit my profile page i explain most of how i'm feeling right now ...been a christian for about 20 years and i'm very discourage in alot of things i have seen and heard .The experiences i've been through....right now i've been seeking more spiritual thing in my life . i'm trying to find were i belong . I have been reading about other faiths and is very interested to learn more . if any one have any suggestions please reply

Thanks

Welcome. I relate with what you are saying; I've struggled with my faith and 'traditions' for the past few decades and have sampled more religions than I can account for at the moment.   So from my perspective, my first reaction to your post is to suggest that you spend time with you -- take time to learn what your personal convictions are and why -- before (or in addition to) trying to learn from others. This sounds obvious but you might be surprised how little people do this.

If you are disillusioned by the actions of others and feel that it affects your personal faith, I think it's wise to sit with those feelings and see where it takes you.

As for books, TED suggested a book that I really loved; for some reason it's coming to my mind now; maybe it will help you on your journey:

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

Blessings to you!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 5:14PM #4
Seraphim
My natural reaction is to raise my hand and go ooo ooo ooo pick me pick me...try my Church, its got spiritual dripping off the walls (actually sometimes literally). But that might be taken as rude and pushy especially since you did not tell us what corner of the Christian faith you hale from.  Some parts are pretty widely seperated from others...and the thing you need or at least want might be where you would never think to look...within Christianity.

Of course that makes it sound like shopping for new shoes in a big mall...and that is so not spiritual. Religion/faith as a comodity is seldom satisfying because then its just a matter of tastes and fashion, and those change and what is out of fashion is as easily discardible as it was to acquire.

I can identify with the broad outlines of your journey though...I was within on corner of the Christian fold for my childhood and over 20 years of my adult life...and what it had to offer was not enough...not complete the way it seemed it should be.  And...as I believe by the grace of God I ended up finding all and much more than what I was looking for so far from where I was I barely knew more than the bare fact of its existance...sort of like someone in the late 1500's hearing about all that new land discovered somewhere far over the ocean, 

But your journey is your journey. 

However I am courious when you say you are looking for something more spiritual...just what does that mean: more of a full way of life than a compartmentalized religious activity, more mystical in its expression rather than rationalistic, more spontanieous...or more comtemplative and reverential, more aesetic or more outgoing?  People mean a lot of different things by spiritual and some meanings are incompatible with others.  You say spiritual to me and I think monks and nuns and their lifes of prayer...maybe the life of a wonderworking elder or saint or two.  To other people it means a big praise band, lots of clapping and getting a little nuts for God.  To others more spiritual is some in depth bible study...and for others its a quiet sunset with bugs rippling the waning light on a pond.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2008 - 2:11PM #5
ZenYen
Rose: My advice is to just keep asking questions of yourself and others, and really think hard about the answers you get, and measure all those answers against your own personal BS meter. Do this all the time, about everything, and you just might find in yourself a means to sort it all out.

I hope you find a path that works for you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 8:52AM #6
Inkywhip
delicaterose,

It has been some time since I have had a chance to visit this forum, where I once was host, but I wished to share my experience, too:

With regard to discouraging experiences - you are as likely to find both inspiring and discouraging things can happen or be found in association with just about any faith. This is because all faiths involve people. Some people's faith, love, and approach to life you will find inspiring, some people's faith, limited approach to love, and life you will find offputting... and, as you have explored the history both of your own faith, and that of others...I don't think it is uncommon to find where the people who were a part of the development of religions faced extreme pressures, and  responded with, at times, extreme measures...

So, the first thing that I would look for, were I looking for a religion or faith, is one that has ideals that I find inspiring and, secondarily, practices that aid followers in achieving those ideals. Are you interested in participation? The opportunity to ask questions and explore as a part of your religion? (few established faiths, it seems, are open to questioning that may potentially be critical of the establishment..) Leadership? A deeper connection to others? A deeper connection to God?

Each of the aspects of what you are looking for will help in narrowing your search for a faith...of course, I've also found that in establishments as large as something like the Catholic  church...practices and the degree of connection to others, insistence on observing church laws and rules, etc. can vary tremendously from one particular location to another, as well.

I will do my best to continue to follow up, if you are willing to share with us how your search progresses.

Incarnadine
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 9:38AM #7
Sacrificialgoddess
[QUOTE=Inkywhip;891956]delicaterose,

It has been some time since I have had a chance to visit this forum, where I once was host, but I wished to share my experience, too:

With regard to discouraging experiences - you are as likely to find both inspiring and discouraging things can happen or be found in association with just about any faith. This is because all faiths involve people. Some people's faith, love, and approach to life you will find inspiring, some people's faith, limited approach to love, and life you will find offputting... and, as you have explored the history both of your own faith, and that of others...I don't think it is uncommon to find where the people who were a part of the development of religions faced extreme pressures, and  responded with, at times, extreme measures...

So, the first thing that I would look for, were I looking for a religion or faith, is one that has ideals that I find inspiring and, secondarily, practices that aid followers in achieving those ideals. Are you interested in participation? The opportunity to ask questions and explore as a part of your religion? (few established faiths, it seems, are open to questioning that may potentially be critical of the establishment..) Leadership? A deeper connection to others? A deeper connection to God?

Each of the aspects of what you are looking for will help in narrowing your search for a faith...of course, I've also found that in establishments as large as something like the Catholic  church...practices and the degree of connection to others, insistence on observing church laws and rules, etc. can vary tremendously from one particular location to another, as well.

I will do my best to continue to follow up, if you are willing to share with us how your search progresses.

Incarnadine[/QUOTE]

((((Inky))))

Inky's back! Inky's back!  :D

Missed you.  :(
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 12:58PM #8
allthegoodnamesweretaken

delicaterose wrote:

Hi well were do i start if you visit my profile page i explain most of how i'm feeling right now ...been a christian for about 20 years and i'm very discourage in alot of things i have seen and heard .The experiences i've been through....right now i've been seeking more spiritual thing in my life . i'm trying to find were i belong . I have been reading about other faiths and is very interested to learn more .  if any one have any suggestions please reply

Congratulations!  I know that sounds weird, but you are beginning a real spiritual journey here.  You mentioned in your profile that you feel there is more out there than what is included in the routine.  You are correct.  There is much more.  Really, the routine isn't much of anything on it's own. The rituals, etc, have to mean something to you, or they are just empty. 

Now, I'm not going to try to guide you, that's not my job.  Just follow your heart, and don't listen to someone just because you think you agree with them, and don't discount someone just because you think you don't.  People will always surprise you. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 3:55PM #9
Kindred322
[QUOTE=delicaterose;887723]Hi well were do i start if you visit my profile page i explain most of how i'm feeling right now ...been a christian for about 20 years and i'm very discourage in alot of things i have seen and heard .The experiences i've been through....right now i've been seeking more spiritual thing in my life . i'm trying to find were i belong . I have been reading about other faiths and is very interested to learn more .  if any one have any suggestions please reply

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hello Delicaterose,

I can relate very much to what you are describing and experiencing. I am going through a very similar transition...I was Christian, I dont know if I can consider myself one now, and have been discouraged...no crushed emotionally and spiritually by certain life experiences that have led to contrary realities of the doctrine I was raised with (in other words, the talk didnt walk the walk). My soul and heart years for GOD or Goddess or creator or whatever with an intensity I have never yet known in my life. I think part of this IS beginning a REAL spiritual transformation in which you let down all your walls and ingrained beliefs and question everything to determine what is real. Today, I was doing such a thing and I realized that "Truth" shouldnt be able to hide behind "faith", Truth just "is". Therefore, I made my mind up to merely observe my hearts messages and be mindful of those messages without judgment and no matter where they lead...whether they go with my Christian beliefs or away from them. We both will be instore for many more "spiritual growing pains". I am in touch if you want to talk.

- To Peace of mind, heart, and soul.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 7:57AM #10
ItsAllALie
Hi Rose :)  I too echo congratulations,,,,,believe it or not, I believe God wants us to question,,,,to wonder,,,,to doubt, even,,,,it means youre a thinking person,,,,,an intelligent human,,,,and this, IMHO, from MY religious place, glorifies "God".

Even the longest journey begins with one step.  You will find many here who have found greater spirituality within their own faith,,,,,,and you will find many who changed faiths,,,,some have gone from one Abrahamic faith to another,,,,,,and some have left the Abrahamic faiths completely.

I always suggest the Belief O Matic here at Beliefnet,,,,,,,not because I think it's a mind reading device that can tell you instantly what faith you SHOULD be following,,,,,,,but because it can give you some ideas WHERE to start looking,,,,what faiths you MIGHT be compatible with, some things to check out, as it were,,,,

Nobody (especially not a computer program) however, knows you, and what you feel, and how you believe,,,

We are glad to support you in whatever faith you find spiritually uplifting and fulfilling,,,,,,,,regardless of what faiths WE believe in,,,,,

Holly
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook