Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
9 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 9:48AM #51
Jazel
Of course, I feel the need to point out that what I said above is how I "try" to be, something I Strive to achieve.

Catch me on a bad day, and I can be an intolerant and dismissive jerk.  To wit: my standard reaction to Most Fundamentalist Christians.

Sigh.  I am a work in progress, and probably always will be:)

-Jim
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Marx
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 9:52AM #52
gillyflower
That brings up an interesting tangent. Do you think, from your brief encounter with your God, that he found you imperfect or is that an internal judgement of your own? I ask because some religions seem to not accept humans as humans and the goal they are striving towards, IMO, is impossible while in other religions there is an acceptance of humans the way they are, striving to live honorable lives.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 10:32AM #53
Jazel

gillyflower wrote:

That brings up an interesting tangent. Do you think, from your brief encounter with your God, that he found you imperfect or is that an internal judgement of your own? I ask because some religions seem to not accept humans as humans and the goal they are striving towards, IMO, is impossible while in other religions there is an acceptance of humans the way they are, striving to live honorable lives.

That IS an interesting tangent.  To tell the truth, I don't really know if God thinks I'm imperfect or if that's just my own internal judgement of myself.  Rationally, I know that a lot my feelings on the issue are socially ingrained in me from my Catholic upbringing and education - the whole "original sin" baggage.

Personally, I just try to be the best I can, and God's love tells he accepts that.  Jesus died for my "imperfections" (whatever that might really be) so, actually, I don't really need to worry about it.  I think if God wanted me to expend my energy contemplating my imperfection and in essence wallowing in it, he would have told me to do that and never would have sent Jesus in the first place.

-Jim

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Marx
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 11:52AM #54
Redfrog777
Hello wiscidea:

If I may what you are describing sounds a lot like pantheism to me. You might be interested in checking out the pantheism boards. Not much action over there but you will find resources.
I was stunned to discover that there was indeed a definition for a belief that I could barely put in to words. I had no idea that there were others out there in the world who saw or felt the same as myself.

Hop it helps.

Frog.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 2:13PM #55
Wiscidea
Hello All.

As I was commuting to work, two geese flew over the road ahead. I think they were switching to gliding mode as they approached the marsh off to the right. Most of my attention was on the road, of course, but I couldn't help but notice that while they gently flapped their wings, the rest of each body appeared frozen in the air. Their long necks were almost perfectly level and rock steady... their minds, no doubt, and bodies were focused on the task of landing on the water.

Now this might not seem very significant, but I was also listening to a Dharma talk describing the importance of mindfulness and effortless effort. The geese, by living the Dharma, reinforced the speaker's words as he described the Dharma.

Caution: slippery definition of "God" ahead. :eek:

Were I a "believer", I might report I just experienced another glimpse of God and She was shouting at me. But as an atheist... uh... I must report I just experienced another glimpse of God and She was shouting at me. ;)

What do you think?

Peace.
"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 3:31PM #56
Jazel
If the shouting fits, hear it:

:):):)

-Jim
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 8:39PM #57
gorm-sionnach

wiscidea wrote:

Hello All.

As I was commuting to work, two geese flew over the road ahead. I think they were switching to gliding mode as they approached the marsh off to the right. Most of my attention was on the road, of course, but I couldn't help but notice that while they gently flapped their wings, the rest of each body appeared frozen in the air. Their long necks were almost perfectly level and rock steady... their minds, no doubt, and bodies were focused on the task of landing on the water.

Now this might not seem very significant, but I was also listening to a Dharma talk describing the importance of mindfulness and effortless effort. The geese, by living the Dharma, reinforced the speaker's words as he described the Dharma.

Caution: slippery definition of "God" ahead. :eek:

Were I a "believer", I might report I just experienced another glimpse of God and She was shouting at me. But as an atheist... uh... I must report I just experienced another glimpse of God and She was shouting at me. ;)

What do you think?

Peace.

Well, my tradition holds that one of the ways in which the Gods communicate with people is through omens, birds being one of the more frequent examples. Then again, its from a rather specific cultural tradition, so take from that what you will.:)

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 10:53PM #58
Kithca

gillyflower wrote:

So... if you feel comfortable enough, could you tell us if you have actually met a being that you think could be a god? What does it mean to you? If you haven't, do you feel comfortable following a religion without personally knowing the gods of it?

I was bouncing through posts and decided to reply...

First part, have I ever met a being that I thought was a deity... I have two answers to this question. A deity as a being; then if I did, they didn't tell me. Would I believe I have, yeah. Do I believe I have, no. I tend to feel that any interaction I have had with a deity was basic interaction with someone else. They probably had a few words with me and were on their way. I'm one to believe that most deities that would have something to say to me  would possibly do it this way through someone else. I don't see myself as special enough to get a guest appearance, but that's MY opinion of myself.
In the view of my prior religious beliefs; I have absolutely met deities and anyone who has ever existed in the physical has as well, as my deities are tangible and exist in this world as we do; but I'm not gonna tell you! :D

Second part, what does this mean to you... I've stated I do not feel I have met a deity, or at least no longer believe I have. I am still at a point where religiously, I have no deities, this doesn't mean I don't believe they exist. Currently, none have gained my devotion; I'm still shopping, you could say. I also feel that no deity has found it in my best interest to make themselves known to me. I'm pondering still and I am in limbo most definitely and I'm still trying to cope with that.

The third part, do I feel comfortable following a religion without personally knowing the gods of it? I most definitely want there to be recognition of each other. Them of I and I of them. Religion is a relationship and no relationship is one-sided; except stalking, which is super illegal and gets people in big trouble and worse hurt and killed! :D

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook