Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2008 - 11:37PM #21
Sakhaiva

Cammon wrote:

So what was more important .....the history/lore of the gods, or the philosophies?

This is in line with something I struggle with, though I come from a different angle :

What matters most; the traditions in which I was raised or the traditions I wish to be a part of.

(Note, with 'traditions' come the subjective topics of *history* *philosophy* and *lore*) It is a touchy subject; there is always a good deal of tension between one's upbringing and one's hopes or personal leanings.

Gilly, you are one of the people I would love to sit down and listen to.... you are a bevy of knowledge and the kindest of souls. And I agree with you statement that *the important thing is to realize that when we each say "Deity" or the "Divine" we all all talking about something different*

Even Yahweh was called different names (though Yahweh is the name He called Himself)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 8:52AM #22
Sacrificialgoddess

Astroturf wrote:

SG--can I ask if you sought out your goddess, or is that too pushy a thing to ask?

I sought out the Christian God, until I was damn near suicidal from the lack of response.  Finally, I yelled out to the universe, 'Is anybody out there?'  She is one who answered. She told me to get my sh*t together, or I would be dead by the end of the year.   I have met other gods and goddesses since, but she is the one I owe my life to, and she is the one who I follow most closely.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 9:22AM #23
gillyflower
[QUOTE=Cammon;870399]itty, I was merely responding to the poster.  You can be confrontational, aka boring, and take the whole thing out of context to where I have to explain my stance using ABC blocks, or you can just accept my response for what it was.

If the poster choses to argue, I would be glad to bounce ideas against one another.

Yes, I realize this is a multifaith discussion board.  Maybe you should, too.  People who don't believe what you do, don't believe your beliefs are correct, and don't necessarily respect your opinions are all over the place.  Trying to hammer in your superiority is pretty futile against others with strong opinions.

If you don't play nice in the sandbox, nobody is going to play with you.  I suggest you remove your own emotional filters before attacking people on forums.  It seriously puts your views and opinions into question when you obviously show no respect or restraint for the subject matter.  And if you're that insecure and need extensive validation from others, I suggest you visit one of the other great forums here to get some support to deal with those issues.

And because I'm not that good of a person, I'll be glad to take the low road to answer your questions.

I have never met a real Christian, not a faith-bouncer, but a real Christian, who would use that ancient Hebrew/Greek name for the Christian God.  Yes, I capitalize God, as I capitalize my own name.  Capitalization is a sign of respect, in addition to being used as a symbol for a proper noun, or name.  I will continue to do so and will feel no regret for your disliking of it.  You being insulted has no affect on me.  I believe that all people of all faiths are apathetic posers until they stand up for what they believe in.  That's like saying that people who sign up for college are equal to those who already have their degrees.  That's just ridiculous.

"I would agree with you that it isn't a normal conversation to have if we weren't posting on a multifaith religious board."  Here is a prime example of you taking the whole thing out of context.  Maybe if you followed along with the premise of the original post, and put your ego aside, you'd see that it is a perfectly sound statement.

As for the rest... OK.  That's your story and your life.  See how easy it is to just put the simple truth out there?  You could have done that from the start.

And finally... "You post is leading me to believe that you are somewhat affronted by this topic. Why is this such a touchy subject for you?"  I like the topic.  That's why I was the first to respond.  My opinions weren't emotional, they were just based in fact.  If you have different experiences, fine.  I don't need them thrown in my face as if I was the one experiencing your life.

There was so much potential for a great discussion here.  Now it's down the drain for me.  You ruined it.[/QUOTE]

I have met plenty of real Christians who use Yahweh, although perhaps you don't think Episcopalians or Presbyterians or Methodists are real Christians? It is entirely possible that you don't.

"God" is still a job description. My Gods don't care if you like to call your God God - you can call my Gods God too. God (I asked him) doesn't particualarily care. Neither does God, she's easy about that. And God doesn't care either, he thinks it's funny. Which of those Gods do you happen to worship, by the way? Maybe God #4? Or God #5? God #109? How many times has the wrong God answered do you think? God #1117 might not be the right God, you know.

Gods, do you think I ruined it too? Wait a minute! I think I hear God #47!
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 9:24AM #24
Sacrificialgoddess

gillyflower wrote:

I have met plenty of real Christians who use Yahweh, although perhaps you don't think Episcopalians or Presbyterians or Methodists are real Christians? It is entirely possible that you don't.

"God" is still a job description. My Gods don't care if you like to call your God God - you can call my Gods God too. God (I asked him) doesn't particualarily care. Neither does God, she's easy about that. And God doesn't care either, he thinks it's funny. Which of those Gods do you happen to worship, by the way?

Hee!  :D   Well, I asked God, and she said she thought we had bigger things to worry about.  :p

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 9:32AM #25
gillyflower
[QUOTE=Cammon;870415]So what was more important to you?  The history/lore of the gods, or the philosophies?  I see them as being extremely different and tend to favor the philosophy.  I know others who crave the history and structure of how all of the stories came about... but it's just not for me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the philosophies. Actually what I was after was the emotional connection. I can read about gods and feel nothing, detached but with some there was such resonance.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 9:49AM #26
Wiscidea
I just want to thank gillyflower for posting such thought-provoking questions.

It is very difficult to discuss religion, spirituality, gods, and goddesses when there seems to be about 6 billion subtly different defintions of each term. I hope we can all keep this in mind when we choose to participate in such public discussions.

Furthermore, there is a time for confrontation and a time for simply sharing our personal views. I hope everyone agrees that this thread is dedicated to the latter.

Thank you again.

(I will try to reply to gillyflower's follow-up questions when I can devote more time it.)
"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 11:26AM #27
gillyflower
You are welcome! *beams* It is very difficult to get most people to talk about their UPGs and what they know from experience of the spiritual world but that is what fascinates me. Books, of course, can have deep personal meeting but experiences with the gods or spirits or the universe? Amazing! Those things naturally are deeply personal and it is sometimes hard to find the words to describe it. People may think that they may sound silly. The thing is you will find (I think) that other people may have had similar experiences or are accepting of yours.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 2:30PM #28
Chiyo

gillyflower wrote:

I have met plenty of real Christians who use Yahweh, although perhaps you don't think Episcopalians or Presbyterians or Methodists are real Christians?

When I was a child in Catholic school, we would attend Mass once during each week and we often sang this song;

[QUOTE]
Yahweh, I know you are near,
standing always at my side.
You guard me from the foe,
and you lead me in ways everlasting.

More here; LINK

[/QUOTE]

We were raised from Kindergarden through Senior year to call God by his name of Yahweh. And I'm quite sure there's a handful of those kids who've grown up and are nearly grandparents now, who call themselves Cradle-Catholics, who still think of and sing that song, and fondly call upon Yahweh for protection and comfort.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 4:58PM #29
Astroturf
[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;870800]I sought out the Christian God, until I was damn near suicidal from the lack of response.  Finally, I yelled out to the universe, 'Is anybody out there?'  She is one who answered. She told me to get my sh*t together, or I would be dead by the end of the year.   I have met other gods and goddesses since, but she is the one I owe my life to, and she is the one who I follow most closely.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, SG, for sharing this. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 3:38PM #30
thelam-entor
[QUOTE=gillyflower;864667]Until I came to Bnet I really thought more people had met their gods and that's because I had and assumed that most everyone had. It wasn't something that is actually talked about in the Christian churches. They talked about knowing Yahweh and knowing his will - long story short I thought probably everyone else had an active Jesus or Yahweh in their lives, just not me. I did however get to meet Yahweh once and since leaving Christianity I met my gods and now have active gods in my life. When I try to bring up gods, as often as not some people start quoting their myths and writings, which is not at all the same thing as having a UPG (unverified personal gnosis) or the wonderful experience of meeting a god.

So... if you feel comfortable enough, could you tell us if you have actually met a being that you think could be a god? What does it mean to you? If you haven't, do you feel comfortable following a religion without personally knowing the gods of it?[/QUOTE]

I've never met anything spiritual of any kind. Though I might have been touched by something other-worldly once or twice, it might have just been a muscle spasm. Coincidentally, I don't believe in any particular religion. That's not to say that I believe that there's nothing out there, more like I don't have any particular beliefs about it that I couldn't change in the face of superior evidence.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook