Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Switch to Forum Live View When proselytizers clash
6 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2009 - 8:31PM #101
Sacrificialgoddess

gorm-sionnach wrote:

Inquiry is always welcome, it shows you have a willingess to learn and expand your knoweldge.

All and John T Mainer are members of Asatru, a Norse/Scandanavian/Germanic (have you guys come to a concensus on that one yet ;)) recontructionist religion, meaning they practice as close as possible to the Scandanavian Pagan (pre-Christian) practices as gleaned from by oral tradition, literature, folk traditions and practioces, history texts and UPG. All the Gods (and Gddesses) you listed are from their mythology. I'll leave them to give you the specifics.

Many of the Pagans here are Wiccans, who usually speak in general terms about their Gods/ Goddesses, sometimes they have names, sometimes not but rare is the occasion where they will be identified to anyone outside the individual.

I'm a Gaelic Polytheist, one of the paths of Celtic Reconstructionism, much like Asatru, except focused on the pre-Christian Celtic peoples, as opposed to the Germanic ones. GP's focus primarily on the Irish myths and practices, but often Scottish too as they have the same linguistic roots (old Irish).

Ah, posted at the same time, but with you less lazy than me!  :D

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2009 - 10:28PM #102
gorm-sionnach

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Ah, posted at the same time, but with you less lazy than me!  :D

Team work!

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 11:43AM #103
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Godgirl wrote:

Just out of curiousity (I am not looking to convert or anything) but who are all of these (I guess there Gods?)
Odin, Thor, Tyr, and Freya?

They are what are referred to as "the Norse Gods".  Personally, I just call them the gods, just as Christians call their god "God".  I typically call that god the "god of Abraham".  They all have many characteristics other than what is thought of as their defining characteristics, but I would take a book for me to really get into that.  You have no desire to convert, and I have no desire to convert you.  That's for the gods to do, if they want.  I see SG gave you a link, so that should give you some basic info. 

I don't know if there is consensus or not, Gorm, I don't let myself get to concerned about it. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 12:04PM #104
gorm-sionnach
If you don't think its worth the time, it probably isn't ;)

Since the term Asatru covers the bases, could the specific geographic/linguistic/historic divisions be understood aas a point of focus, or is there just a (general?) concensus without the need to compartmentalize?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 12:25PM #105
allthegoodnamesweretaken

gorm-sionnach wrote:

If you don't think its worth the time, it probably isn't ;)

Since the term Asatru covers the bases, could the specific geographic/linguistic/historic divisions be understood aas a point of focus, or is there just a (general?) concensus without the need to compartmentalize?

I can only speak for myself.  I don't see a need to compartmentalize.  In fact, I don't see much of a reason to worry about what other people are following as long as they don't get in my way, much less look for differences and categorize them.  If it helps someone to learn more, and examine their path by thinking that they need to look into this or that specific aspect of it, more power to them.   I recognize no authority over my beliefs except for that of the gods. 

all

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 1:15PM #106
gorm-sionnach

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

I can only speak for myself. I don't see a need to compartmentalize. In fact, I don't see much of a reason to worry about what other people are following as long as they don't get in my way, much less look for differences and categorize them. If it helps someone to learn more, and examine their path by thinking that they need to look into this or that specific aspect of it, more power to them. I recognize no authority over my beliefs except for that of the gods.

all

I was refering to a compartmentalization more on linguistic/historic groups, rather than on practices. Did the Norse mythologies and practices remain the same across the assorted kingdoms and regions or were there discernbale differences?

I suppose I'm just looking at it from a CR perspective, where the were different mythologies, practices and such, so often practicioners focus on specific regions (in my case a Gaelic Polytheist, focusing on Ireland) Whereas there are Welsh, Scottish, Gaulic and even Manx centered focuses as each region had seperate but related practices.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 1:59PM #107
allthegoodnamesweretaken

gorm-sionnach wrote:

I was refering to a compartmentalization more on linguistic/historic groups, rather than on practices. Did the Norse mythologies and practices remain the same across the assorted kingdoms and regions or were there discernbale differences?

I suppose I'm just looking at it from a CR perspective, where the were different mythologies, practices and such, so often practicioners focus on specific regions (in my case a Gaelic Polytheist, focusing on Ireland) Whereas there are Welsh, Scottish, Gaulic and even Manx centered focuses as each region had seperate but related practices.

They were similar, but they had differences too.  Different cultures, etc.  They might have different practices, but for the most part, the practices were focused on the same deities. 

So I guess to answer your question, same basic mythologies, different practices. 

all

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 5:41PM #108
gorm-sionnach

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

They were similar, but they had differences too. Different cultures, etc. They might have different practices, but for the most part, the practices were focused on the same deities.

So I guess to answer your question, same basic mythologies, different practices.

all

Works for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook