Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View In Celebration of the Moderates
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 8:34AM #1
gillyflower
We've had an awful lot of threads about the terrible things that extremists of different religions and no religion do and think. Just to balance it out, please share your positive experiences with the under publicized moderates of any religion besides your own. Have you had a Muslim help you in your time of need? Do you have good friends of other religions?
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 2:13PM #2
tameless_heart
I find that with most moderates it doesn't matter what faith they are. We helped each other and our religion didn't matter.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 4:17PM #3
taofornow
I think that with most normal, decent people, you might not even know what faith they are (or aren't), because they aren't shoving it at anyone, just living their lives as best they can.  I do have a lot of Christian friends, because that's the majority, I work with some lovely Unitarians and Jews, and I've worked with a few Moslems in  the past, but I don't know if there are any on our staff currently.  Someone's faith isn't important to me in assessing their personality and how we will get along, unless they make it an issue - in which case, it may be a problem.

And now I really do want to make a "Don't Piddle on the Middle" T-shirt.  :D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 11:42PM #4
gillyflower
Maybe being a moderate has more to do with a person's personality and ethics and maybe sanity than it does with religion?
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 12:53AM #5
tameless_heart
I definately think so!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 12:12PM #6
taofornow
Anyone old enough to remember this?

Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle with you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 12:23PM #7
gillyflower
*waves hand* Me! Me!

LOL
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 5:03PM #8
Sacrificialgoddess
Great, now I'll never get that song out of my head!  :p
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 11:28PM #9
tameless_heart
I love that song...... but I'm not old enough to remember when it first came out, I'd wager. ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 12:29AM #10
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=tameless_heart;606903]I love that song...... but I'm not old enough to remember when it first came out, I'd wager. ;)[/QUOTE]

Seconded ;)
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook