6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 6:24PM #1
dharmalivingdharma
While recent changes to the Dharma may read like "Dungeons and Dragons" Dharma practice is not a game. It is based on very old precepts and very new ones do not often sit well with it. If you are a practicing Buddhist and you have an open mind, your mind is open to bad practices as well as good. That is part of Buddhism and part of Karma. It is a responsibility for individual practitioners to act ethically. When they encounter Dharma that makes them uncomfortable it is within their rights as Buddhists to question those practices and to refuse them. When they encounter teachings that seem wrong it is a matter of ethical and religious conscience to challenge those teachings and to refuse to follow them if they seem cruel or unusual. It does not matter who says the practices are legitimate, it is up to individuals to follow their hearts AND their minds in this world to keep up with the Buddha(s). Especially when mixing practices. A synopsis of the updated Dharma relevant to practitioners from all branches is posted on this site.

In addition: Guan Yin (under any given name) has nothing to do with Tibetan Buddhism or Avalokitesvara. Guan Yin is not an aspect of any Buddha(s).

Dear BeliefnetPat,

At bottom are three standard definitions* for spam. The first definition is the one you are trying to represent with your rule but I did not send bulk e-mail in an attempt to trick everyone.  I posted six separate posts, individually, one-by-one, of a letter I had written to six separate sections on your website. As you can see, if we abide by your rules we really are not free to speak our minds since you control where I can send any one statement, effectively limiting any discussion or debate to one tiny group of people within a wider religious community.

If you are Buddhist you know that one small fraction of change in the Dharma changes Dharma understandings across the board. If I post to the Tibetan Buddhist section and they do not share that information with the other Buddhist sections on your site or they change that information so that it is more beneficial to their personal plans for what Dharma should achieve in this world then all Buddhists are harmed in their practice. This is why the letters were posted and why I am writing you now. You are inhibiting the teacher-student relationship for Buddhists on this board.

One of the misunderstandings among practitioners of Tibetan Buddhism right now is that the Virgin Mary and Tara, a Tibetan Buddhist goddess, are the same in most respects based on their "compassionate natures." Tibetan Buddhism uses tantra, which would make the Virgin Mary a "consort" of certain advanced male practitioners. This means that nuns meditating on the Blessed Virgin can be accessed by certain advanced practitioners meditating on the Compassionate wisdom consort Tara using certain occult elements active in the Tibetan Buddhist religion for the purpose of "Consorting" - which as you know is a romantic partnership that can be carried to sexual levels with females encouraged to reach orgasm. This has occurred enough times that it has been noticed. If you would like to be the person preventing corrections to and renewal of the Dharma from reaching widespread practitioners who combine practices so that they can correct their own practices to prevent Catholic Nuns from being damned to hell within their own convents and religious practices then give this argument no more thought. Otherwise, I suggest you allow an old man to make a few argumentative posts to your website. If the Buddhists complain, maybe you can post this letter.

When you make up your own definitions for commonplace understandings you create confusion and you threaten freedoms of expression. When you limit access to chat forums and threads so that the only way to include others in discussion is to make multiple postings that you have forbidden invites people to toe a party line not to hold free discussions about their religious beliefs. You cannot really, truthfully, claim that your website promotes religious discussion and harmony when you play Politics with website access.

Rules that do not comply with standard definitions and a site that compartmentalizes and categorizes participants means your website promotes censorship of religious ideas and discussion not open dialogue.

*Any message where its score is equal to or greater than the specified threshold

*Any activity designed to trick the search engines into giving a site a higher ranking.

*Unsolicited e-mail on the internet, a form of bulk mail

Sincerely,

dharmalivingdharma
dharmaliving@yahoo.com

----- Original Message ----
To: Living Dharma
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 4:39:05 PM
Subject: RE: You have received a warning at Beliefnet Forums

Dear Mr Living Dharma,

According to our Rules of Conduct, our definition for spam is as follows:

14. Spam: You agree not to repeat substantially the same content (including URLs) more than once on Beliefnet Forums.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 8:20PM #2
Pthalo
[COLOR="Blue"]While recent changes to the Dharma may read like "Dungeons and Dragons" Dharma practice is not a game. It is based on very old precepts and very new ones do not often sit well with it. If you are a practicing Buddhist and you have an open mind, your mind is open to bad practices as well as good. That is part of Buddhism and part of Karma. It is a responsibility for individual practitioners to act ethically. When they encounter Dharma that makes them uncomfortable it is within their rights as Buddhists to question those practices and to refuse them. When they encounter teachings that seem wrong it is a matter of ethical and religious conscience to challenge those teachings and to refuse to follow them if they seem cruel or unusual. It does not matter who says the practices are legitimate, it is up to individuals to follow their hearts AND their minds in this world to keep up with the Buddha(s). Especially when mixing practices. A synopsis of the updated Dharma relevant to practitioners from all branches is posted on this site.

In addition: Guan Yin (under any given name) has nothing to do with Tibetan Buddhism or Avalokitesvara. Guan Yin is not an aspect of any Buddha(s).
[/COLOR]
I'm doing this because I'm bored and your post is interesting because it is so arrogant.  Who exactly put you in charge of modern Buddhism?  What throne are you sitting on to place judgments on Quan Yin or any other Buddhist lineage god?  What exactly are you trying to achieve? It sounds like you are a bored  old man in Sedona AZ who doesn't like his Sangha anymore.
Hey.... prove me wrong and talk like a man.  I double dare ya :0)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 8:52PM #3
mainecaptain
Thank you for that, because Quan Yin is an important Goddess in my life. Thank you Pthalo very much
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook