Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 11:33AM #1
Gabby1275
I  would appreciate  anyone can help  me  learn  where my beliefs and faith what  "group" they place me into, what religion, or faith,  etc.

And feel free to ask me any questions that might help  figure out  the answers, as I may not know to give that information.

so background.   My mother took me to a  Baptist church as a child,  I don't really know  what style of Baptist it was, but I do know it was not considered "southern Baptist", as she told  me her  Ex was a SB.

Any rate, she did not baptize me as she felt it was  up to me to decide  what religion/faith I was and to make that decision for myself when i was older. ( she was org raised catholic and she changed over to Baptist, I'm sure this is one the reasons that made her make the decision that she did)

I have been exposed to different people of different background and  beliefs and faiths,  but I honestly do not know where I fit in.  And yes i did  take the  belief test on here,  now I'm looking for the  human opinion on it, since  that is more than just checking off a certain box.

any rate  i believe in a trinity,I do believe in Jesus, I believe  that  God  is both male and female.  That there has to be both to balance  out, not just all male.

I do not feel we should be fearful of God,  as in  you often hear "God fearing Christians".  I do believe we should love and respect God.

I do not believe that 1 sex is inferior to the other,  just that we have different things that we are "typically" better at, but both are equal.

I am not a pacifist, but I'm not about to go start a war over stupid crap.   But i think it should be the last things should try to be working out peacefully first.  If that does not work and the only option left is to fight, then one must fight.  If it is something stupid and petty  then walk away.

I do feel  That we should respect nature, all things, be they human, animal, plant, earth, etc.   But I do not believe in worshipping it.

I do not believe in original sin, I believe humans are imperfect,  and  as imperfect  beings  we do folly.

I am using of course   answers to some of the questions  on the quiz. As I'm trying to cover things that would be important, as well as  adding a few other things that did not have  an answer I felt fit.

I do not believe you have to be baptized to be saved.  I believe God loves us all.  And we only need to  find  and accept God  truly and honestly.  For we can not truly lie to God.

I do believe that one should try to be the best person that they can be,  but  I don't  believe that means  that we have to  be downtrodden and humiliated  to do so.

I'm sure I have more ideas and thoughts,  if someone sees a question that they should ask me  to help understand my beliefs please do.
Oh also  i don't believe one has to go to a formal church  to talk to god, I think you can do it anywhere.  I also  myself personally   do not like  churches that are all  decked out and  ornate.  I think  a church should be simple. And moneys brought in should go to  helping those less fortunate, rather that decking out the building.  maybe that seems a bit   oxymoron in my thoughts,  but I'm trying to cram as much info as I can think of into a small area  without giving you all a huge long  book to read.   HAHA too late.

Any rate thank you in advance, and please remember ask me any questions that will help  define  where my beliefs fit me into.   i'm very sure on what I believe I'm just not sure what it makes me.  Thank you--Gabby
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 11:55AM #2
gillyflower
Congratulations! You're a Christian. As soon as you say you are a trinitarian and believe in Jesus you narrowed to that religion. It is the only religion that worships Jesus. Actually a Christian is defined as a follower of Jesus.

You should go to a library and read "How to be a Perfect Stranger" by Stuart M. Matlins and Arthur J. Magida. In addition to telling you what to expect if you go to any ceremonies or rituals of different denominations (as well as other religions) it gives a brief run down about what each denomination believes. This will expose you to different denominations and perhaps you will find a few intriguing enough to investigate further.

A lot of people take the "cafeteria" approach to their denomination: they pick and choose what they believe in and don't necessarily believe everything the denomination espouses or another person in the denomination believes. It is important to find a group that you like, that you can believe in their deal breakers and get along with the rest. Only you will be able to decide that. Good luck.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 10:42AM #3
Gabby1275
[QUOTE=gillyflower;605842]Congratulations! You're a Christian. As soon as you say you are a trinitarian and believe in Jesus you narrowed to that religion. It is the only religion that worships Jesus. Actually a Christian is defined as a follower of Jesus.

You should go to a library and read "How to be a Perfect Stranger" by Stuart M. Matlins and Arthur J. Magida. In addition to telling you what to expect if you go to any ceremonies or rituals of different denominations (as well as other religions) it gives a brief run down about what each denomination believes. This will expose you to different denominations and perhaps you will find a few intriguing enough to investigate further.

A lot of people take the "cafeteria" approach to their denomination: they pick and choose what they believe in and don't necessarily believe everything the denomination espouses or another person in the denomination believes. It is important to find a group that you like, that you can believe in their deal breakers and get along with the rest. Only you will be able to decide that. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

i said i believe in jesus, I didn't actually say I worshipped him.    I'm not sure if trinity was the right word.

I do appreciate your post.   I'm actually not looking for a group to belong to,  just more of a name  to give when asked  what is your faith..  because it's alot easier to say   i'm mostly, "x"  type, rather than  telling someone the details which takes so much longer.  granted ok I could say none your business,  but there are cases in which *I* myself would like to have an answer to give.  also,my husband needs exposure to some other  faiths, he was raised a Catholic,  but has decided he is really truely not a Catholic,   so in my search is something  to  expose him to so maybe he can find  something else that fits.

course  I'm sure  people would ask or say why isn't he searching  if it's important to him. Because he's the type who  relys on me to introduce him to something so he can decide if he likes it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:11AM #4
mainecaptain
Gabby, You are welcome to hang around these boards "Multi faith" and listen to what others are and comment and ask questions, you may find something rings true for you.

You might ask specific questions to get an idea of other faiths :)
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 4:59PM #5
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=Gabby1275;611182]i said i believe in jesus, I didn't actually say I worshipped him.    I'm not sure if trinity was the right word.
[/QUOTE]

In New Thought many of us see Jesus as a great (or even the greatest) master teacher, but we dont' worship him.  Because some of us follow his teachings, that makes us "Christian" by the dictionary definition.  However, those of us who just follow his teachings are not recognized as REAL CHRISTIANS by those who worship Jesus, because that's what makes a REAL CHRISTIAN. ;)

Very confusing, too many flavors.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 8:33PM #6
Gabby1275
[QUOTE=TigersEyeDowsing;612055]In New Thought many of us see Jesus as a great (or even the greatest) master teacher, but we dont' worship him.  Because some of us follow his teachings, that makes us "Christian" by the dictionary definition.  However, those of us who just follow his teachings are not recognized as REAL CHRISTIANS by those who worship Jesus, because that's what makes a REAL CHRISTIAN. ;)

Very confusing, too many flavors.[/QUOTE]

haha yes confusing,  but that does make some sence... thank you for your post
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 8:35PM #7
Gabby1275
[QUOTE=mainecaptain;611243]Gabby, You are welcome to hang around these boards "Multi faith" and listen to what others are and comment and ask questions, you may find something rings true for you.

You might ask specific questions to get an idea of other faiths :)[/QUOTE]

thank you
i've been poking for some time now,  just only started reading the forums and stuff.  with so much on this website  i actually didn't realize how much was really here.. t
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 8:42PM #8
Chiyo
Gabby,

You might want to look more closely at the Quakers or Unitarian Universalists? I think you'll find a lot of resonance among them. Especially, the Quakers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 8:45PM #9
mainecaptain

Gabby1275 wrote:

thank you
i've been poking for some time now,  just only started reading the forums and stuff.  with so much on this website  i actually didn't realize how much was really here.. t

You are most welcome. And for what it is worth I truly believe we are all very loved. Some people believe it is by Angels some by a god, some by many gods. I believe we are loved by a combination of different beings, whether we realize it or not.

If you remain open, and you do seem to be that way:) Something will click, someone may contact you (as in the gods) or you may think them Angels. Either way an open heart is wonderful.

Some people were contacted by their gods after they stopped trying to force it, others cryed out to the Universe.  Please Keep looking,

And much good luck and success on your Spiritual journey:)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 8:47PM #10
mainecaptain

Chiyo wrote:

Gabby,

You might want to look more closely at the Quakers or Unitarian Universalists? I think you'll find a lot of resonance among them. Especially, the Quakers.

You know it is funny I have always had a place in my heart for the Shakers, From what I have learned of them they were talented and had a kindness for people. Of course they were also celibate:eek:
But apart from that:p

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook