Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View There is only one true "religion" - the Truth
6 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2008 - 10:58PM #11
THSWarrior
[QUOTE=taofornow;580956]Interesting.  I've always felt that I am not-quite this, or not-quite that, and wind up over-hyphenated (as in pantheist-taoist-humanist).  You've made me start thinking that I shouldn't worry so much about having a label.

I looked at your profile, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has gone from wanna-be capitalist to (nearly) communist over the years.  Heh heh, my grandparents came from Hungary, so maybe it's a genetic thing.  On the other hand, my sister was the hippie liberal of the family back in the 1960s, and she's gotten pretty conservative :mad: in middle age.   Are people inclined to grow in the opposite direction from where they started?  Out of boredom and curiousity one day, I googled a guy I dated nearly 40 years ago, who was always ranting against the system back then.  I was sure he would wind up being a public defender or ecologist or something like that.  Turns out he's Mr. Greedy now, and even scoffs at global warming.  It's pretty disillusioning.[/QUOTE]
You sound as if you are much closer to knowing yourself than you think you are. Stop thinking and just be.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 2:21AM #12
CommieJesus
Well, I do not know, it is strange how people's politics change and sometimes their religion too. I am dismayed that you have labeled yourself as an atheistic-agnostic(?) for what?  I guess not believing in a personal god? (Of course it is your business and fancy :)
Religion and the (concept of a) personal god ARE the opiates of the masses but that does not alter the fact that there is a God that is all permeating and transcendental beyond our grasp of words and similitude. This is the only way to pay homage to something so indescribable and so infinite is to say “IT is unmentionable" for me, mere human.

You are 100-percent right to reject ludicrous notions such as the spoon fed dogmas and "organized" religion or organized anything....
There is a logical problem with the fallacy of the personal god, if god created the universe and it is not evolving than HE created something imperfect. Right? Notice I call him "He", which is also BS...BTW
Cheers
Andras

[QUOTE=taofornow;580956]Interesting.  I've always felt that I am not-quite this, or not-quite that, and wind up over-hyphenated (as in pantheist-taoist-humanist).  You've made me start thinking that I shouldn't worry so much about having a label.

I looked at your profile, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has gone from wanna-be capitalist to (nearly) communist over the years.  Heh heh, my grandparents came from Hungary, so maybe it's a genetic thing.  On the other hand, my sister was the hippie liberal of the family back in the 1960s, and she's gotten pretty conservative :mad: in middle age.   Are people inclined to grow in the opposite direction from where they started?  Out of boredom and curiousity one day, I googled a guy I dated nearly 40 years ago, who was always ranting against the system back then.  I was sure he would wind up being a public defender or ecologist or something like that.  Turns out he's Mr. Greedy now, and even scoffs at global warming.  It's pretty disillusioning.[/QUOTE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 6:30AM #13
taofornow
I do think there is a sacredness to life, the earth, and the universe, but I don't see it as a separate entity (which I think would be Panentheism).  Back to genetic roots again, I read a description of the pre-Christian Hungarian Isten/God as non-anthropomorphic and encompassing everything - don't know if that was accurate, but I hope to find more to read on it.  It would be nice to have another name or title that wouldn't make people think I meant the bible god.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 7:42AM #14
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=taofornow;621683]I do think there is a sacredness to life, the earth, and the universe, but I don't see it as a separate entity (which I think would be Panentheism).  Back to genetic roots again, I read a description of the pre-Christian Hungarian Isten/God as non-anthropomorphic and encompassing everything - don't know if that was accurate, but I hope to find more to read on it.  It would be nice to have another name or title that wouldn't make people think I meant the bible god.[/QUOTE]

Tao, I usually say "the Divine" to indicate something other than BibleGod.  That or Mother-Father God.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 10:02AM #15
CommieJesus
Tao,
I am not good with "isms" but a TRUE Transcendental God is never "external" it is by virtue of being Transcendental - everywhere at the same time. So yes you are on the right track. Westen view of God is "external" so there is HIM and there is us, godless, separated and HE pulls the strings, kind of. That is not right, well how to put it? This does not conform to a logical philosophical cosmology. It is not right or wrong, simply not the way IT is.

ISTEN...  Tao,  Besze'lsz Magyarul?

[QUOTE=taofornow;621683]I do think there is a sacredness to life, the earth, and the universe, but I don't see it as a separate entity (which I think would be Panentheism).  Back to genetic roots again, I read a description of the pre-Christian Hungarian Isten/God as non-anthropomorphic and encompassing everything - don't know if that was accurate, but I hope to find more to read on it.  It would be nice to have another name or title that wouldn't make people think I meant the bible god.[/QUOTE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 10:07PM #16
taofornow
ISTEN... Tao, Besze'lsz Magyarul?

Sorry, I never learned Hungarian except for some food items, counting if I thump myself on the head a few times, and a few random words that I remember when I'm not trying.  I did get a dictionary and grammar book, but it's pretty intimidating to someone who has no skills with other languages.  Maybe I need to try again soon, just to exercise my brain.

I think you and TED (TigersEyeDowsing) are saying very similar things - and he is someone whose views I have liked since I've been here on BNet.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 10:09PM #17
taofornow
TED:  Tao, I usually say "the Divine" to indicate something other than BibleGod. That or Mother-Father God.

If only I didn't see a really chubby drag queen promenading before my eyes!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 10:11PM #18
gillyflower
That would be Miss Divine! :)

I use deity, sometimes the divine.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 10:13PM #19
taofornow
THSWarrior:  You sound as if you are much closer to knowing yourself than you think you are. Stop thinking and just be.

Hello, new person.  Care to drop the fortune cookies and just have a conversation with the rest of us? :D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 10:22PM #20
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=taofornow;622993][I]I
I think you and TED (TigersEyeDowsing) are saying very similar things - and he is someone whose views I have liked since I've been here on BNet.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, and right back at ya.

If only I didn't see a really chubby drag queen promenading before my eyes![/QUOTE]

LOL.  Makes me miss transgender activism.

(is still laughing, you have NO idea....) :p

Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook