Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View There is only one true "religion" - the Truth
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 12:54PM #51
williejhonlo
[QUOTE=gillyflower;632731]I have a hypothesis - and it is probably sexist and wrong - that it is mainly men who have the compulsion to do that. Not the science part but the meaning of it all.  :)

On the other hand, I have a compulsion to dig in forgotten boxes in basements and find historical treasures and I wave them excitedly at people who say things like "That's nice." I think we each have our own passions and other people have difficulty understanding why it's so important.[/QUOTE] The purpose of science and philosophy is to try and understand the meaning of it all. Men are naturally inquisitive and use reason to try and explain things, while woman are more emotional and sentimental in trying to understand the meaning of things. This is my opinion of course.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 1:13PM #52
mainecaptain
You know I have spent my entire life trying to understand and figure things out. This could be because I have spent so much time alone.

Emotional perhaps, but lending emotion to something does not necessarily make a conclusion less accurate.. It can, but it does not have to. I know many analytical women, and  emotional men as well. I myself try to make a balance.

And remember women are just as inquisitive, they just approach it in a different way. Finding treasures in an attic or basement is a form of exploration and finding treasures is learning.
I my self like etymology and history, because I like to know how things got to be the way they are, the origins of what is now.

I know the entire  post makes no sense by I am leaving it anyway:o:p
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 1:37PM #53
gillyflower
No, MC, that's a good post. I personally think that the childbearing capability affects our sex. I feel a deep connection to the past and the generations that went before mine and to the ones that aren't born yet. The more I study about my ancestors, the more I see that what they did and who they were affects not just me but through me, my children and theirs as well. We leave our imprint on the world in the same way our ancestors did.

I will in my lifetime by my daily choices affect, according to an old friend of mine, five generations because children tend to do what they know unless they work very hard to overcome it. That is why it has been important to me to be a good role model and give them the tools they need to become the kind of people I want to see in this world. Science to me is a tool.

But that doesn't stop me dreaming up fantasy novels either. :)
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 1:58PM #54
williejhonlo
[QUOTE=Gwyddion9;633283]I think its important to recognize that there is a difference between subjective truth and objective truth.
Objective is that which simply is. Subjective truth is that which sustained because of faith.
To say there is only one god, is subjective, not objective.[/QUOTE] I think they are intertwined somehow, one with but yet different. I believe in one absolute truth and that the absolute and relative explain each other to a limited degree. Therefore the nature of reality is simultaneous oneness but difference. I believe there is one God that creates many gods, humans, animals,etc.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 2:03PM #55
williejhonlo
[QUOTE=mainecaptain;633454]You know I have spent my entire life trying to understand and figure things out. This could be because I have spent so much time alone.

Emotional perhaps, but lending emotion to something does not necessarily make a conclusion less accurate.. It can, but it does not have to. I know many analytical women, and  emotional men as well. I myself try to make a balance.

And remember women are just as inquisitive, they just approach it in a different way. Finding treasures in an attic or basement is a form of exploration and finding treasures is learning.
I my self like etymology and history, because I like to know how things got to be the way they are, the origins of what is now.

I know the entire  post makes no sense by I am leaving it anyway:o:p[/QUOTE] That makes sense to me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 6:08PM #56
Gwyddion9
[QUOTE=williejhonlo;633586]I think they are intertwined somehow, one with but yet different. I believe in one absolute truth and that the absolute and relative explain each other to a limited degree. Therefore the nature of reality is simultaneous oneness but difference. I believe there is one God that creates many gods, humans, animals,etc.[/QUOTE]

actually, they are distinct from each other. what i've encountered for some people, they claim their god is the only one. this is subjective because the truth is faith based. then it is taken to the next step in their minds that because they believe it is so,  it becomes a fact rather than something of faith.

Ron
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

Let My Worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. Charge of the Goddess
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook