Switch to Forum Live View Why I like being Baha'i
6 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2008 - 7:17PM #1
noor1961
I like the idea that God's revelation to humanity is progressive: I never understood why God would simply stop "talking" to us hundreds, or thousands, of years ago. I like the idea that a religion can respect the prophets and teachers of the past without co-opting them and calling their messages flawed or corrupted. When we as humans are ready to hear more, we will hear more, based on what we're capable of understanding.

I like a religion that has gender equality as a core tenet of its belief. Humanity is like a bird with two wings. A bird with only one wing can't fly.

I like the idea of not having a clergy that tells me how I should interpret the scriptures and messages from God, as if I am not able to figure it out myself.

I like a religion that insists on the equality of human beings of all races. At the most basic level, all we want is a safe place to live, enough to eat, an honest wage for an honest day's work. How does our skin color make any of that different?

I like the fact that Baha'i houses of worship are open to everyone, from every faith, every race. No one is kicked out for being the "wrong" kind. There is no "wrong" kind.

I like the fact that Baha'is don't proselytize. When I was ready to make my declaration of faith, it was on my time, when I was ready, because I truly felt ready. No pressure from anyone. If I had questions, sure, I could find someone to talk to, but again, no pressure to convert. I've always thought that the best way to attract attention to your faith is to practice what you preach, and lead by example. No coercion, no threats, no feeling that as a convert, I don't really count as much as someone who was born into the faith. This is huge, for me.

That's why I like being a Baha'i. There's more, I'm sure. And for every reason I like being a Baha'i, someone else will like being their faith. And that is exactly as it should be.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2008 - 11:25PM #2
Kos
I like being a Baha'i because we all get to contribute to the content of the Feast (Spiritual meeting) happening that evening.  Every one is different because of the sharing of choosing prayers, readings, Spiritual texts, your own creation-like a poem.  I find the Feasts to be unique and beautiful.  I always feel refreshed.  Kos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2008 - 8:49PM #3
Destiny9
Being a Baha'i and, thus, being aware of the teachings of the Bab, Baha'u'llah and 'Abdu'l-Baha gives my spirit a perspective on the current chaotic and materialistic conditions of this world in which we live that helps me see past it all to the glorious future. These teachings of a new Revelation from God gives us the foundation of the "New Jerusalem" (the new Revelation from God for this age).

When I look at others who are not aware of these teachings, I see the constructs they invent to try to explain all the happenings in the world - from partisan politics, to a "buy, buy, buy" materialism, to national, religious, or racial identity fanaticism, among other world views.

I credit the Baha'i Faith with my sanity. It doesn't make me perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but it does give me a bedrock of logic that keeps me anchored to spiritual reality (that, thus, allows my spirit to soar).

A Baha'i prayer that I consider especially inspiring:

[QUOTE]
“From the sweet-scented streams of Thine eternity give me to drink, O my God, and of the fruits of the tree of Thy being enable me to taste, O my Hope! From the crystal springs of Thy love suffer me to quaff, O my Glory, and beneath the shadow of Thine everlasting providence let me abide, O my Light! Within the meadows of Thy nearness, before Thy presence, make me able to roam, O my Beloved, and at the right hand of the throne of Thy mercy, seat me, O my Desire! From the fragrant breezes of Thy joy let a breath pass over me, O my Goal, and into the heights of the paradise of Thy reality let me gain admission, O my Adored One! To the melodies of the dove of Thy oneness suffer me to hearken, O Resplendent One, and through the spirit of Thy power and Thy might quicken me, O my Provider! In the spirit of Thy love keep me steadfast, O my Succorer, and in the path of Thy good pleasure set firm my steps, O my Maker! Within the garden of Thine immortality, before Thy countenance, let me abide for ever, O Thou Who art merciful unto me, and upon the seat of Thy glory stablish me, O Thou Who art my Possessor! To the heaven of Thy loving-kindness lift me up, O my Quickener, and unto the Daystar of Thy guidance lead me, O Thou my Attractor! Before the revelations of Thine invisible spirit summon me to be present, O Thou Who art my Origin and my Highest Wish, and unto the essence of the fragrance of Thy beauty, which Thou wilt manifest, cause me to return, O Thou Who art my God!”

(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 140)
[/QUOTE]
And, ditto the previous 2 posts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 4:02PM #4
hailtothesquirrel
I am not Baha'i, but have to say that I have known a few and find that the Baha'i faith is for sure one of the least offensive. Growing up in a really religious region of the midwest there were many people of many faiths that would constantly "battle for your soul". Try to recruit you for their church.

We had a bus driver in high school who was Baha'i and he was the most interesting person I knew. He would philosophize with us and talk about life, government and religioin. The thing was, he NEVER tried to tell any of us what his beliefs were without our asking first. AND FURTHER, he NEVER tried to push his belief as the ONE belief. He answered questions, explained his points of view, and was always respectful of others.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2008 - 11:37AM #5
dreamgyrl360
The Baha'i are really nice people. I have met quite a few of you and I know you are trying your best. It is not often I proselytize (sp?) and I don't do it to everyone, not at all. But I respect y'all. I have a friend that needs to join y'all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2010 - 3:29AM #6
in_my_opinion

There aren't enough words in all the languages to express what is in this heart for this one more of God's gifts to humanity.

Nor will there be enough beats to this heart before it stills, to sail to God's next world; that the tongue might utter what the heart happily holds.

Humbled to absolute unworthiness and joyful of the Love that deigns to brighten this bit begotten by that Love's Love.

"3. O SON OF MAN!
Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty."

(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 7:18PM #7
Aka_me

1. God loves all the races/sexes/cultures equally
as attested to by the Baha'i concept of multiple Manifestations (Zoroaster, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Krishna, Buddha, the Bab, Baha'u'llah) having been sent to multiple cultures across multiple eras. the Baha'i Covenant says God promised not to leave humanity without a Manifestation as a means to understand God.

2. not responsible for anyone's salvation
all humans go to heaven, and how much spiritual development you accomplish in this lifetime is your own responsibility.

3. reassured war and genocide will end
it's not just a good idea to stop fighting and end prejudice, humanity will exercise its free will to choose to implement the kingdom of God happen on earth (unfortunately only after tremendous birthing pains).

4. the principles
what we call common sense, was FAR from common sense when it was being written down.

5. zero skeletons in the closet
there is NOT ONE thing making me embarrased or shameful in the history of Baha'i Faith. on the contrary, I am in awe at the twenty thousand people who non-violently allowed themselves to water the tree of God with their own blood before renounce their belief in God.

6. the writings
contain a language which speaks to humanity in a grown up, adult language, giving us credit for having more abstract reasoning skills than previous dispensations. explanations for Adam and Eve and the talking snake which make complete sense to a rational logical person.

7. the Divine Physician (God) has written a prescription for today's global problems
the world's agitations, travails, and difficulties could be gone TODAY...
if humanity simply obeyed God's prescription as described by the Baha'i Faith.

8. being taught by my son
I love having my 10 year son come to me asking "dad, did you know the Baha'i Faith says...". the way in which he comprehends the "beauty in the logic" is something he wants to make sure I understand just as thoroughly.

9. contains zero ritual
it would be EXTREMELY upsetting to me if there were ceremonial actions one must go through... or others will begin questioning my belief in God. in other religions, many (but not all) people go through religious motions and ritual without any consciousness of the underlying "spiritual" reason. being spiritual is not about performing a hop, skip, and a jump and then calling it good for another week.

10. contains zero secrets
it would be EXTREMELY upsetting to me if my non-member relatives could not attend everything that I attend. it would be literally impossible for me to say to anyone, let alone a blood relative "sorry but God doesn't deem you worthy enough to be allowed in to worship God with us".

11. no priests
I would find it completely impossible to have to listen/obey another human being who may or may not be more spiritual than myself, that's like the blind leading the blind... we all end up going in circles together.

I know there are more items I'll think of later.

internet troll... anyone who won't stop posting about bad spelling.
the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 11:42AM #8
Jupiter6208

May 4, 2011 -- 7:18PM, Aka_me wrote:

1. God loves all the races/sexes/cultures equally
as attested to by the Baha'i concept of multiple Manifestations (Zoroaster, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Krishna, Buddha, the Bab, Baha'u'llah) having been sent to multiple cultures across multiple eras. the Baha'i Covenant says God promised not to leave humanity without a Manifestation as a means to understand God.

2. not responsible for anyone's salvation
all humans go to heaven, and how much spiritual development you accomplish in this lifetime is your own responsibility.

3. reassured war and genocide will end
it's not just a good idea to stop fighting and end prejudice, humanity will exercise its free will to choose to implement the kingdom of God happen on earth (unfortunately only after tremendous birthing pains).

4. the principles
what we call common sense, was FAR from common sense when it was being written down.

5. zero skeletons in the closet
there is NOT ONE thing making me embarrased or shameful in the history of Baha'i Faith. on the contrary, I am in awe at the twenty thousand people who non-violently allowed themselves to water the tree of God with their own blood before renounce their belief in God.

6. the writings
contain a language which speaks to humanity in a grown up, adult language, giving us credit for having more abstract reasoning skills than previous dispensations. explanations for Adam and Eve and the talking snake which make complete sense to a rational logical person.

7. the Divine Physician (God) has written a prescription for today's global problems
the world's agitations, travails, and difficulties could be gone TODAY...
if humanity simply obeyed God's prescription as described by the Baha'i Faith.

8. being taught by my son
I love having my 10 year son come to me asking "dad, did you know the Baha'i Faith says...". the way in which he comprehends the "beauty in the logic" is something he wants to make sure I understand just as thoroughly.

9. contains zero ritual
it would be EXTREMELY upsetting to me if there were ceremonial actions one must go through... or others will begin questioning my belief in God. in other religions, many (but not all) people go through religious motions and ritual without any consciousness of the underlying "spiritual" reason. being spiritual is not about performing a hop, skip, and a jump and then calling it good for another week.

10. contains zero secrets
it would be EXTREMELY upsetting to me if my non-member relatives could not attend everything that I attend. it would be literally impossible for me to say to anyone, let alone a blood relative "sorry but God doesn't deem you worthy enough to be allowed in to worship God with us".

11. no priests
I would find it completely impossible to have to listen/obey another human being who may or may not be more spiritual than myself, that's like the blind leading the blind... we all end up going in circles together.

I know there are more items I'll think of later.

That's great, myself looking into the Baha'i's i would like to know how you came to this conclusion and what faith did you come from if any.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2012 - 3:21PM #9
Aka_me

May 21, 2011 -- 11:42AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

That's great, myself looking into the Baha'i's i would like to know how you came to this conclusion and what faith did you come from if any.

opps!

haven't been to this forum in about a year. still looking into the Baha'i Faith? or came to any conclusion about it?

I was agnostic. jokingly refer it to as "one highly pissed off agnostic", in that I would say to God "you don't see my parents lock me in my room and not interact with me... do you? ok then why haven't you interacted with humanity in thousands of years?"

God was patient, and waited for the right moment to spring the Baha'i Faith on me. took me 2 months of investigation before I joined, not a decision to be taken lightly.

internet troll... anyone who won't stop posting about bad spelling.
the government KILLS and EXPERIMENTS and TORTURES people, without ever apologizing, being held accountable or punished. and you expect me to believe they've automagically grown a conscience to not continue? like bloody hades they have.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook