Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which will become a read-only site October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Why I like being Jewish.
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 12:37PM #1
I am proud to be part of a religion that has survived against many odds.  I am happy to be part of a religion which believes there are many paths to leading a just life.  (One doesn't have to be Jewish for salvation for example.)  We believe that all just, moral people who follow the seven laws of Noach have a place in the next world (world to come).  Jews by choice or by birth have more laws to follow, though.
     I like the idea that good actions can change the world and that we can create holiness in our lives thorugh study, observance of the Torah and oing acts of kindness.  I am proud that many of us have returned to Israel to build active Jewish lives there.  I am thankful to have Israel as a place all Jews can go to and be safe.
     I like that we feel that man's nature is basically good and we can emulate Gd.  We can become more holy by doing the right thing.  We don't need a emissary to approach Gd and be forgiven.  We can approach Gd ourselves and be forgiven.  Being Jewish is all these things, plus singing, shabbot, and good kosher food!!!

Quick Reply
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 10:03PM #2

Just 'cuz I don't have to believe stupid things and placate some imaginary deity to live a life connected to everything and everyone around me like a normal human being.  And all I have to do is good.  I don't have to worry about some demonic overlord who predestines souls to an eternal Hell or the pompous clown who presumes to save me from such an imaginary fate.  And I don't have to waste my life selling hell insurance and beating people over the head with a Bible or hating and murdering them 'cuz they are not like me.  Finally, it is because I do not have to believe anything at all and am still part of a peoplehood forever, like everyone else who is free to practice their own faith or be part of their own people.
Quick Reply
7 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2008 - 4:04PM #3
Buns that is perfect. Thanks for sharing! Glad to see you back here.
Quick Reply
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Beliefnet On Facebook