Switch to Forum Live View Why I like being Jewish.
5 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 12:37PM #1
chanalea18
I am proud to be part of a religion that has survived against many odds.  I am happy to be part of a religion which believes there are many paths to leading a just life.  (One doesn't have to be Jewish for salvation for example.)  We believe that all just, moral people who follow the seven laws of Noach have a place in the next world (world to come).  Jews by choice or by birth have more laws to follow, though.
     I like the idea that good actions can change the world and that we can create holiness in our lives thorugh study, observance of the Torah and oing acts of kindness.  I am proud that many of us have returned to Israel to build active Jewish lives there.  I am thankful to have Israel as a place all Jews can go to and be safe.
     I like that we feel that man's nature is basically good and we can emulate Gd.  We can become more holy by doing the right thing.  We don't need a emissary to approach Gd and be forgiven.  We can approach Gd ourselves and be forgiven.  Being Jewish is all these things, plus singing, shabbot, and good kosher food!!!

Hugs,
Chanalea
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 10:03PM #2
Bunsinspace
BS"D

Just 'cuz I don't have to believe stupid things and placate some imaginary deity to live a life connected to everything and everyone around me like a normal human being.  And all I have to do is good.  I don't have to worry about some demonic overlord who predestines souls to an eternal Hell or the pompous clown who presumes to save me from such an imaginary fate.  And I don't have to waste my life selling hell insurance and beating people over the head with a Bible or hating and murdering them 'cuz they are not like me.  Finally, it is because I do not have to believe anything at all and am still part of a peoplehood forever, like everyone else who is free to practice their own faith or be part of their own people.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2008 - 4:04PM #3
itty
Buns that is perfect. Thanks for sharing! Glad to see you back here.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook