Switch to Forum Live View Why I Like Being a Wiccan....
6 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2008 - 12:43AM #1
Wiccian_Angel
You don't feel like you have to respond to a higher power and you can control yourself and not have to worry if someone else is making choices for you when you can yourself
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2009 - 12:49AM #2
moonsongsinger

So you don't answer to your gods at all?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 5:16PM #3
Allronix1

Why I have chosen Wicca:

1) Its emphasis on ethics and owning up to your actions, good and ill. I explained to a Christian friend once that there isn't a prayer or ritual that absolves you of all your sins. Instead, invoking the God and Goddess is like asking friends and family to help you move a sofa. They'll help. They'll be there to help you lift the load...but you have to be willing to lift and carry your share. 

2) The fact that the rule system is simple and straightforward. If it harms NONE, do as you will. NONE includes yourself, people you haven't met, and the planet itself.  The smart Pagan is forced into thinking about the ramifications of their actions and taking the action that means no harm or minimal harm. Again, see ethics.

3) The fact women are equal to men, the old are as revered, and children are to be respected.

4) The fact that healthy expression of love in any form is not taboo. Whether it is the love between friends, the bond between lovers, the family unit, or a family that's not by blood...all are considered sacred. It doesn't matter if it's a man and a woman who are friends, two men who are brothers under God, two women who are married under the Goddess...as long as the relations between them are safe, sane, respectful, and consentual, they have the Gods' blessing.

5) It fits the logical, natural cycles of the sun and moon, the turning of leaves, the growing of plants. There's also a certain logic to revering a heavenly Mother and a heavenly Father wiho work in partnership.

6) It encourages you to treat your body, and the physical world as not something to disdain or as a source of corruption. It's just as sacred as the world of mind and spirit.

7) The fact that prosletyzing is considered bad manners at best and hersey at worst. A Pagan will not ring your doorbell at 6AM or scream that you're going to hell. We don't believe in the Christian devil, and we believe in informed choice and informed consent. (Again, see ethics)

8) The fact it encourages learning. Margot Adler noted that Pagans were among the most well-read communities she visited. The more you know, and the more you learn how the world works, the more aware you are about your actions and how to mitigate harm.

9) Related to the "encouraging learning" is the lack of arrogance. We don't get the "my way is the only way and the rest of you are subhumans being sent to a fire pit" attitude that encourages such ignorance. Most of the Pagans I've run across are very well-learned in the customs of their neighbors' faiths. 

10) Going back to the ethics, the encouragement of learning, and the rule of harming none. It encourages going out and making a better world happen, not because it will get you into heaven, but because HARM NONE means stopping harm, too. It means protesting against companies and policies that hurt the Earth and those who live on it. It means standing up to greed. It means respecting the warriors who fight it, and making damn sure thry're risking their necks for the right reasons. It means having faith, but putting that faith into action.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook