Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View working on a school paper
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 1:55AM #1
tolerant_student
I am a college student working on a school paper on religious discrimination. My goal with this paper is to understand more about various religions, whether they are discriminated on, whether they discriminate and most importantly what can be done to help the situation.

I have been asking around to see if anyone would discuss this with me, and so far I've not had much luck. I'm hoping that some of you would be kind enough to give me your opinions on a few questions that I have. If you are not comfortable posting your answers feel free to send me a message. I will keep it confidential. I am very open minded  and try to see both sides, even if I don't agree. I appreciate any information and opinions you might be able to give me.

So my questions are:

1) What religion are you?

2) What do you feel is the biggest misconception about your religion?

3) Do you feel there is alot of discrimination against your religion in your community? If so what is happening?

4) WHat would you like for people to know about your religion?

5) WHat do you feel could be done to help the situation?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 8:35AM #2
TigersEyeDowsing
Interesting. I think I'll answer, once I'm home from work. :)
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 10:00AM #3
Chicagoheathen

tolerant_student wrote:

Asatru.

tolerant_student wrote:

There are actually many misconceptions about Asatru; I will list the most common that I have experienced.
*We're Satan-worshipers / devil-worshipers.
*Our gods are false gods / Satan in disguise, and we know it deep down.
*We pretend to be Vikings.
*We're all convicts and ex-convicts.
*We're all racists / white supremacists.
*We're all rifle-toting ultra-right-wing conservatives.
*We're just like Wicca, or we're a form of Wicca.

tolerant_student wrote:

3) Do you feel there is alot of discrimination against your religion in your community? If so what is happening?

Is there a lot of discrimination? That's one of those "yes and no" questions. I mean, I don't generally put my religion on display, so it's not usually a daily issue. I don't make a big secret of it too, so I have had a fair amount of discrimination, usually from proselytizers, occasionally from co-workers. And, of course, there was a very inflammatory, slanderous news piece done by our local Fox affiliate about Asatru that portrayed us as racists, extremists, and linked us with Nazis, neo-Nazis, and other hate groups.

tolerant_student wrote:

We're just normal people. We don't sacrifice babies. We don't want people of every other religion to die. We're folk like other folk, who want a decent place to live, who want enough to eat, who want safety and peace for ourselves and tour families and friends. We have our share of jerks and loonies and crazies in our religion, and we have people who use our religion to further their own ends, but that is no different from any other religion. We believe in freedom of religion, and support it for others' religions. We wish that more people would respect our religious freedom.

tolerant_student wrote:

First off, Asatruar should just stop talking to Fox News. Period. However, I would welcome a well-done documentary by PBS or a similar group. Beyond the media, you know, it's just educating others a person at a time, dismissing the stereotypes, educating about the reality of the religion. It's a slow process, but I can't think of a way to do it any quicker, and some people don't want to know the truth.

Good luck with your paper.
Frith,
CH

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 10:13AM #4
sirjacen
1. Christian (realizing there are many different conceptions and threads within this faith).

2. I don't know if it is the biggest, but one that came to mind is that Christianity is a completely closed-minded religion. 

3. I wouldn't say discrimination [in my community], but some people look down upon a deep Christian faith as archaic, unthinking, etc.  At the high school level people may be made fun of, but that happens for various reasons.

4. That it is more than some common conceptions of a "religion."  And that there are a lot of misconceptions (as I see them, of course) floating out there.

5. That I don't know.  I'm not a big fan of one of the common conceptions of tolerance, where you end up just ignoring differences and playing nice.  Conflict, if done in the right fashion, peacefully, can help all sides.  We just gotta be more respectful with each other.

hope the paper goes well,
peace...jason
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 12:14PM #5
mountain_man

tolerant_student wrote:

So my questions are:

I am an Atheist. I have no religion.

That being an Atheist is a religion.

We are one of the last groups that people like to discriminate against. A good example being GHW Bush said we shouldn't be considered as citizens. Many places, until recently, would not let Atheists testify in court. No matter what the persons views are most people would vote against an Atheist candidate just because of their Atheism.

That it is not a religion.

Better education.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 12:47PM #6
tameless_heart
pagan

That all pagan paths are the same, and that paganism itself is one big unified religion, when it isn't.

A lot of discrimination? Nothing overt, as I keep to myself. Mostly you are regarded with suspicion and treated a bit like a leper or are simply considered crazies.

Paganism is an umbrella term for lots of different paths, it is not New Age, and frankly we're just like everyone else trying to get by in the world.

Education.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2008 - 3:56AM #7
tolerant_student
I just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my post. I finally got my grade today and I received a B. I have to say it was a rather interesting subject to write a paper on, but I learned alot!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2008 - 3:56AM #8
tolerant_student
I just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my post. I finally got my grade today and I received a B. I have to say it was a rather interesting subject to write a paper on, but I learned alot!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2008 - 10:05AM #9
Chicagoheathen
Do we get to read the paper? :)
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2008 - 4:41PM #10
Jim46
tolerant student, I was going to try to answer, but I see I'm too late.

Sorry!

Jim
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook