Page 5 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View I can barely type...
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 12:41AM #41
TigersEyeDowsing
What Gilly said.  Good lawyer, and now.  The longer they wait the harder it'll be.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 2:36PM #42
Chicagoheathen
I would also say, if her parents have not yet filed a police report, they need to now. This might be considered a hate crime. As Canadian citizens, they may also have recourse through their embassy; that is just a web-search away. Lawyers are a good idea, I agree, and yes, I would check with the ACLU. If they are not able to help directly, they may be able to provide other resources. If all else fails, I recommend... the press. There's nothing like a wounded child to stir sympathy and pressure jackasses to pay up.

Rosie, you're not useless! Don't ever think that! Less powerful than you might want to be in the situation, but not useless. You're watching the older daughter. You're providing moral support. You're there for your friends so they don't have to face this alone. Gods, girl, that is a HUGE help you're providing. Don't you *ever* think yourself useless!

As an aside, the utter silence on this matter by our evangelical members is... perhaps telling, but sad at any rate.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 2:40PM #43
Chiyo

ChicagoHeathen wrote:

As an aside, the utter silence on this matter by our evangelical members is... perhaps telling, but sad at any rate.

What evangelical members? I've never seen any evangelicals hang around Multifaith after their initial post or 2...  I could be wrong. But I just don't remember any at all - not here on Multifaith.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 3:05PM #44
Mintie_2008
(((Rosie)))
How sad for the little girl...to lose your innocence about the world so young should not happen! You are a good friend for taking care of the older one and being a good support for the family. Why a 7 year old should know what a lesbian is, is beyond me. I really hope your friends report the crime and they should retain the service of a lawyer asap. To hold a press conference doesn't sound like a bad idea, the world needs to know that some children are hurt by other children brainwashed by their parents.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 2:36PM #45
Chicagoheathen
I would also say, if her parents have not yet filed a police report, they need to now. This might be considered a hate crime. As Canadian citizens, they may also have recourse through their embassy; that is just a web-search away. Lawyers are a good idea, I agree, and yes, I would check with the ACLU. If they are not able to help directly, they may be able to provide other resources. If all else fails, I recommend... the press. There's nothing like a wounded child to stir sympathy and pressure jackasses to pay up.

Rosie, you're not useless! Don't ever think that! Less powerful than you might want to be in the situation, but not useless. You're watching the older daughter. You're providing moral support. You're there for your friends so they don't have to face this alone. Gods, girl, that is a HUGE help you're providing. Don't you *ever* think yourself useless!

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 2:40PM #46
Chiyo

ChicagoHeathen wrote:

What evangelical members? I've never seen any evangelicals hang around Multifaith after their initial post or 2...  I could be wrong. But I just don't remember any at all - not here on Multifaith.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 3:05PM #47
Mintie_2008
(((Rosie)))
How sad for the little girl...to lose your innocence about the world so young should not happen! You are a good friend for taking care of the older one and being a good support for the family. Why a 7 year old should know what a lesbian is, is beyond me. I really hope your friends report the crime and they should retain the service of a lawyer asap. To hold a press conference doesn't sound like a bad idea, the world needs to know that some children are hurt by other children brainwashed by their parents.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 4:31PM #48
Astroturf
Rosie, I just noticed this thread.  I'm so sickened by what happened to little Megan.  No, this 7-yer-old boy did not come up with these ideas himself.  The parent's comment about "teaching your daughter to be a girl" should be noted.  Did anyone else hear them say that besides Megan's parents?  I'm asking because if they have witnesses to that horrid comment, they could definitely use it in a lawsuit to prove that this boy learned to hate from his parent's views.

I would assume that any parent is responsible financially for the actions of their children.  That ranges from an accidentally broken window to something as horrid as this.  Of course, right now, my concern is that Megan gets better.  Once she does, legal action should be taken, IMO  Definitely a restraining order ASAP.

No, you're not useless, Rosie--you're doing your very best in this situation and are really helping this family right now.  My heart goes out to this little girl, her friends and family--that's putting it mildly.  I can't really express fully how angry and sad this makes me. 

If this situation doesn't prove that hateful fundamentalist indoctrination is a hazard, I don't know what does.  :mad:
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 6:22PM #49
ItsAllALie
the law varies from state to state, I believe,,,,,,,but in MOST states, parents are only responsible for the actions of MALICE of their children,,,,,

I would say, however, that stabbing a child with a pen and breaking her jaw is MALICE,,,,,

Tell them to get a damm good lawyer,,,,,

I am DISGUSTED more by the actions of the parents at this point than the actions of the child,,,,

GOOD parents make their children responsible for their actions,,,,,,they do not DISMISS them!

I am revolted,,,,,,,Like I said, I have had a problem child, and I pity ANY parent who has a problem child WHEN they are doing everything they CAN to make their child realize the wrongness of their actions,,,,

NOT WHEN THEY ARE F*CKIN DISMISSING THEM!!!!!!!

Pardon my language, but I am pissed BEYOND pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Holly
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 3:56PM #50
Seraphim
[QUOTE=ChicagoHeathen;1016429]As an aside, the utter silence on this matter by our evangelical members is... perhaps telling, but sad at any rate.[/QUOTE]

As noted Evangelicals rarely post here or Christians of any traditional stripe for that matter. It is not a very welcoming thread for Christians. Indeed on one of my early forays here I was quickly informed by someone, I forget who that this was not a forum for Christians but was more for those trying to get away from it and its followers.  So if that is the case the absence of comment by Evangelicals or other Christians should come as no surprise...you might as well look for skipjack tuna swimming upstream in the Ohio River.

As for the point under discussion, I would have to agree with Mr. Paine that it is time to secure the services of a lawyer because something is terribly wrong with either that boy, his parents or both.

The question I have is not who gave the boy Chick Tracts (and I agree they are pretty tasteless and insulting), but rather why did a stranger have to stop the fight, where was the boy's mom or dad?  It could be like the little girl he had gone unaccompanied where should not have gone. That would have some bearing I think on how this ultimately resolves.

On the question of prosylitization I think any adult can see this has absolutely nothing to do with prosylitizing (welcomed or not) rather it involved verbal and dangerous physical assault.  There was no intent to pursuade or even coerce the girl into another belief system. The intent was to berate and brutalize. 

The refusal of the boy's parents to take responsibility for medical bills under the free speech flag that protects the right to prosyletize is indeed puzzling. The only sane reason I could think of would be on the advice of their own lawyer to preclude as far as possible any implied admission of culpability.

This is something while it wears some of the trappings of Evangelical prosylitizism cannot rightly be laid at their feet or those of their fundamentalist brethen.  I know of none of them that teach or condone such behavior as displayed by that boy, and I grew up in the middle of them as one of them and was one for a lot of my life.   You might as well paint all non-Christians/anti-Christians with the same brush as the Columbine High School Killers who went around asking certain of their victims if they believed in God before shooting them. 

I also think it would be naive not to hold the boy accountable for his deed.  I remember 7 well enough. My world view may not have been very nuanced or very wide but I knew that stabbing people was wrong, and I know within its limits a 7 year old mind is entirely capable on its own of plotting and carrying out evil deeds without any particular encouragement.  If the boy was acting out some psychological trauma from home, then he needs the accountability as a way to heal.  And if he just did it on his own he need the accountabity in hopes of healing and in furtherance of the need of a civil society to be protected from the predations of nascent psychopaths.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook