Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Is the term mythology a pejorative?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2009 - 7:03PM #41
Ethanol_emillee

Dec 15, 2008 -- 12:28PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Relating to a slight conflagration in another thread, I was curious as to other people out there, believe the term mythology can be used as a pejorative. I'm beginning to see why some individuals and groups could take offense to what they believe being referred to as myth, or mythology, but that's mostly conjecture on my part, so maybe we can hammer out some discussion about the issues involved?

I could see how it is offensive.

In today's society, people usually use the term "myth" or "mythology" to mean something that is untrue and made up.

I even noticed that today. Because I was raised in a christian household, I was taught that all the stories in the bible are true. So when I refer to them, I call them "stories," which is less offensive and lends credibility to them.

However, when I talk about egyptian mythology, which is what I practice, I use the term "myth," because to me, because I was conditioned in favor of christianity, i still have a hard time calling them "stories" or "facts."

I hope that train of thought makes sense.

Basically, using the term myth is offensive because a myth is something that is generally regarded as imaginary and untrue.

I feel guilty called ancient egyptian stories "myths" but my previous religious and societal conditionings causes me to think of them that way, and its a shame.

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2009 - 1:27PM #42
mainecaptain

Mythology "a. A body or collection of myths belonging to a people and addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes."

from, thefreedictionary

All religions have mythology. Whether they be main stream or obscure, using the term Myth or mythology, by Gorm myself and most other here is not intended as an insult or to diminish the beauty or meaning of the mythology.

Whether it be about the God of Abraham, or about the Celtic gods or Greek, and so on. But the stories are all parts of mythology.

Nothing wrong with that. The tribal myths are very important. They should be remembered, but they should never be pushed as some kind of truth on the world, since they generally deal with very personal beliefs, at least when we are referring to religion.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2010 - 8:11PM #43
Weepingangelofthetrees

I don't think referring to someones faith as myth or mythology/mythological, is a pejorative at all. As someone posted, the primary definition of myth would apply to any faith system, be it monotheistic or polytheistic, simply because holding faith in itself means there is no discernible fact, supporting what is held as hope for the truth contained therein.

That's why it's not the fact of Paganism. Or the fact of Christianity, Judaism, Islam.Religion by definition, is a set of beliefs designed to explain our reality as we know it to be.
A set of beliefs. Not a set of facts.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook