Page 6 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do other Christians really see Catholics as not Christian?
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 8:38AM #51
itty
This area was predominantly Catholic as I was growing up. I started school in a three room school house that had been a private Catholic school. It had been turned into a public school several years before I started. I had no idea that Christians were anything BUT catholics! :D Well, I guess I did. My family wasn't but it never made much of an impact.

At this time in the spring the bus ran an hour late so that the kids could do confirmation classes. In the gym. I went right along with the kids in my age group. I don't know it now, been nearly forty years, but I could recite the catechism, knew how to pray the rosary and didn't see why I didn't get to take communion during mass. We had a small catholic church on the property. Yes. Did.

Mom explained it to me. I was still disappointed though. Everyone else could but not me.

It is odd to me then to see the row about Catholics being Christian. For me Catholics were the kids I went to school with and their parents. They were my neighbors.

They still are.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 8:49AM #52
gillyflower
You know, I've heard that some European companies want a persons travels, and especially if they have lived for any length of time in another country, on their resumes because they want to know if the prospective employee has been exposed to different cultures. Maybe this is something American companies should do too.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 1:23PM #53
Innerpoint
[QUOTE=gillyflower;973589]You know, I've heard that some European companies want a persons travels, and especially if they have lived for any length of time in another country, on their resumes because they want to know if the prospective employee has been exposed to different cultures. Maybe this is something American companies should do too.[/QUOTE]LOL!!  Wonder what kind of position I could qualify for based on that?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 9:58PM #54
Lovey-Dovey
Yes, Itty, i think what we absorb as kids is vitally important.  Funny how I didn't think twice about adopting minority children....until much later when my hubby admitted he was scared to death upon doing it!  He told me he didn't grow up knowing anyone with a skin color different from his.  And apparently his first experience of it was of being robbed in college!

I thought about this and then it dawned on me that my first and very best friend, who lived across the street from me while I was growing up (in Miami, Fla), had brown skin!  Her mom had been a Phillapino war bride, and my friend and I were like two peas in a pod.  I never thought about her skin being all that different from mine, I just knew she was my best friend, and I loved her and thought she was beautiful!  (I've tried to find her since, but haven't been successful.)

I think the younger we are when exposed to all kinds or people, languages, foods, and places helps us become more tolerant as adults.  Love and Peace all,
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 11:40PM #55
Doodlebug02
Most fundamentalist Christians and some evangelical Christians do not believe Catholics to be Christian.  I find this position to be incredibly bigoted but what can you do?  Most of them are raised that way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 12:51PM #56
REteach
Of course, for balance, there are Catholics like Mel Gibson who don't even think Catholics are Catholic enough. 

In some ways, it must be nice to be so right.  For the rest of us who live in the real world, full of shade of gray, we have to (get to?) grapple with decisions instead of cruising full speed ahead on self-righteousness.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 1:59AM #57
TigersEyeDowsing
BOULDER, Colo. -- A 24-year-old ski lift operator who fatally shot the general manager of the Eldora ski area was determined to kill co-workers who weren't Christian, according to court records obtained Thursday.

The documents, filed Wednesday in Boulder District Court, said witnesses told authorities that Derik Bonestroo walked into a building at work, fired a gun into the ceiling and said: "If you're not Christian, you're going to die."

General manager Brian Mahon was shot and killed Dec. 30 at the ski area west of Nederland, Colo., in Boulder County.

Witnesses said when Bonestroo asked Mahon's religion, Mahon said "Catholic" and Bonestroo shot him twice: in the chest and head. Mahon is believed to have died instantly. Other employees ran out the back door of the ski employee's meeting area and fled into the woods, describing an additional four to five shots being fired.

Among the list of items confiscated from Bonestroo's apartment were medication and a dead cat that was stabbed several times, Pelle said. The cat was believed to be Bonestroo's pet.

Interviews with friends and family member indicated Bonestroo recently had been suffering "significant emotional distress," but Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle said privacy laws prohibit him from discussing details of Bonestroo's mental state.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/18 … ail.html#-

This gunman obviously didn't see Catholic as Christian.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 5:40AM #58
taofornow
I haven't been here in a while, and I was planning to just catch up by reading, but I want to stick my 2... 2... damn, I'm old - there is no cent sign on the keyboard anymore!  Sheesh.

Anyway, I grew up UCC.  Our church had the unwieldy name of Eden Evangelical and Reformed United Church of Christ.  Some time in the 1950s there was a merger between the Evangelical and Reformed denomination and the Congregationalists, and perhaps some others - maybe Dutch Reform, or they may already have been absorbed.  They're all progressive Protestant; we used to joke that if we were any more liberal we'd turn into Unitarians.  I don't know about the other denominations like CoC or DoC, but unless there have been other mergers since the 50s, they weren't in the UCC official fold.

I always thought it was funny that Evangelical and Reformed had that name - it was about 95% reformed and a weak 5% evangelical - although I think originally both E&R and Congregational had been involved in pushy religious missionary work back in the bad old days.  Technically, it was still going on when I was a kid, but I don't think they were at all aggressive about it, more like "Excuse me, would you like to, um, you know, join... no?  Oh, ok, never mind, sorry to have bothered you..."

I don't do church or religion anymore, but if someone held a gun to my head and forced me, I could probably sit through a UCC service without throwing up.

Oh, by the way, hi everyone.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 6:26AM #59
TigersEyeDowsing
OMG! IT'S TAO!! *flying hug*
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 8:09AM #60
gillyflower
Hey, Tao!! Yes, I worked for the UCC and they were pretty liberal back then, in my opinion.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook