Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do other Christians really see Catholics as not Christian?
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 9:12PM #1
snbaker
I was approached this week by a proselytizer who handed me a Gospel message.  I thanked her and told her she should give it to someone who was not a believer because as a Caholic, I already knew and believed in the Gospel.  She told me that I needed to convert to Christianity.  I explained that I was a Catholic Christian and so we were mostly on the same page already in our beliefs.  She told me it wasn't the same thing, and basically told me I was not Christian!  I was amused at first, but the more I think about it, I wonder, do most non-denominal Christians, or fundamentalists or born-again Christians really believe that I as a Catholic am not Christian?  I don't mean to pick a fight, but I'm kind of offended.  Please help me understand why someone would not include me in the family of Christians.  I've always been very inclusive in my thoughts regarding other Christian faiths, and Catholics believe Christian baptisms are all valid etc.  Now I'm confused.  Please help!  Thanks....
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 9:18PM #2
Redfrog777
Yeah, growing up christian that sounds about right. But I remember catholics telling me that being just a christian wasn't enough? I don't know, I don't care.

Kinda stupid if you ask me. Ain't worth being offended over. There will always be someone that thinks you ain't up to snuff for some reason. If you good with your god? Well thats all that really matters.

Hope it helps?? Good luck.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 9:27PM #3
ItsAllALie
Yup, they sure do, some of them,,,,,,,,,I now call ALL Christians SDC (self defined Christians) simply because I'm sick of hearing THIS one isn't a REAL Christian or THAT ONE isn't a REAL Christian,,,,,,

I'm not a Christian, how you guys define yourselves is none of my business,,,,,,no dog in the fight here, and I'm sick of fighting it, so now, you all are SDC's. IOW,,,,,,I don't care who is a real Christian and who is not,,,,,,,I judge you by your actions, NOT your labeling of eachother,,,,

I'll save my fighting for where I have a dog in the fight,,,,,,

and welcome to the board, btw :)  Holly
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 10:04PM #4
gorm-sionnach
[QUOTE=The Celt;951087]Though this is somewhat of a proselytizing issue, if you want an answer to your question, you should ask it on the Christian boards.  As this is a multifaith board, not everyone here is Christian.  I'm a pagan.  I think a Christian is anyone of follows the Nicene Creed: belief in one God; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; Jesus was God-incarnate, died, and rose again; Jesus is the method of salvation for mankind. 

So why do different Christian denominations proselytize to other Christians?  I think it's a control issue.  For the past 1500 years or so, Christianity has had an enormous amount of power.  But the more denominations you have, the less power each individual denomination has.  How do they get more power?  Membership numbers (ie, money).  Hence the proselytizing between Christian groups.[/QUOTE]

I think the power issue is a valid one, but it also relates to the importance of what amounts to "the truth" in the eyes of the member of which ever delineation or denomination you ask. To those who hold a fundamentalist view, this is of grave importance. I've mentioned in other posts the necessity of the fundamentalist world view to believe in the infallibility of what ever it is they base their beliefs on. If someone, even if they hold similar views, does not hold the specific beliefs of the fundamentalist, than regardless of how ever close or related those views are they will be wrong. Since they are wrong, they will not be counted among the members that fundamentalist associates with. For some it is enough that they interpret a line of scripture differently, for others they belong to a different sect, others yet a different delineation. It doesn't take much. Still the only reason it is even an issue is because the fundamentalists tend to be more outspoken then other groups.
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 10:39PM #5
itty
rWell I am not Christian so I don't know how much help I can be. You've had excellent answers here. I hope they give you food for thought.

I have head and read certain EC/FC sects that do not believe that Catholic Christians are 'true' Christians. I read here on another thread, tonight, that there may be Methodists who don't consider some EC/FC sects/ denominations to be Christian. I don't think that one holds water but I sure did read it here on Bnet on a multifaith forum.

Power and control would be two reasons I can think of to try to disenfranchise the RC church. I see most fundamentalist Christians to be seeking power over the religion via a strict adherence to their interpretations of theology and doctrine. The other issue is control. If you have control over something you can dictate what that 'thing' does, what it is, how it works. It seems to me that for an EC/FC person there is exactly one way to operate in a Christian way. That way is theirs and only theirs. You may have just run afoul of that mindset.

I echo Celt. I think you should go to the Christian boards and ask this question in addition to posting it here. I think this is a fine question for this forum. You will get a multifaith perspective here. That won't just be a perspective from the Abrahamic faiths. It will also be the perspectives of people like me who are non-Christians.

I am pleased to make your acquaintance and I welcome you to multifaith.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 10:54PM #6
TigersEyeDowsing
In a nutshell: Yes.  Catholics are not seen as "True Christians".  I used to get into arguements with numerous people when they would ask "Catholic or Christian?" I would try to explain that Catholic was a form of Christianity.  They would disagree. 

I was raised fundamentalist Christian....Southern Baptist.  I am no longer.  To us (speaking formerly, of course) Catholics - and Episcopals - are not Christian.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 11:06PM #7
ItsAllALie
which is completely ironic, considering that the Catholic church was the FIRST church and is the church that canonized that Bible the other denominations seem to think is so danged important,,,,,,,Holly
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 11:08PM #8
gorm-sionnach
[QUOTE=TigersEyeDowsing;951249]In a nutshell: Yes.  Catholics are not seen as "True Christians".  I used to get into arguements with numerous people when they would ask "Catholic or Christian?" I would try to explain that Catholic was a form of Christianity.  They would disagree. 

I was raised fundamentalist Christian....Southern Baptist.  I am no longer.  To us (speaking formerly, of course) Catholics - and Episcopals - are not Christian.[/QUOTE]

From my own research, every time revelations are mentioned, and they refer to the 'Antii-Christ", any graphic depictions, 9/10 it is the Pope, or someone in papal clothes, in a building which looks like the  Vatican.
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2008 - 1:34AM #9
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=gorm-sionnach;951271]From my own research, every time revelations are mentioned, and they refer to the 'Antii-Christ", any graphic depictions, 9/10 it is the Pope, or someone in papal clothes, in a building which looks like the  Vatican.[/QUOTE]

I was never taught in my particular upbringing that the Antichrist was the Church, but it was always taken into consideration that since the Antichrist's faith was supposed to be acceptable/loved by the masses it would probably be a feel-good version of an established faith like an outbranch of Catholicism.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2008 - 7:18AM #10
gillyflower
It's it odd how some groups have to demonize other groups to feel good about themselves.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook