Page 1 of 59  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 59 Next
Switch to Forum Live View christians displaying intolerance
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 2:50PM #1
tracikay
I have observed during the past several weeks that there are some posters here who profess to be holy christians who are superior to others. I will not name them because I am sure that it against the rules here but I think we know who some of them are. They participate in discussions but if someone does not agree with them, then they will bring out Bible verses to prove how they are righteous and above those who are not going down the christian road. Their user names even tell how they are the true christians. Some of their postings even put down those who dare to disagree with them. I have seen this in other areas - not just BN. Are those holy christians so insecure in their faith that they feel the need to slander those of other faiths and those who do not believe in God? IMO, that does not make christianity attractive nor does it persuade a non-christian to accept Christ into their lives. BN is not just a christian discussion board - it includes other religions too as well as atheists, pagans, and agnostics.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 3:06PM #2
Sakhaiva
I might be the only person who thinks this, however the more outrageous posters -- to me -- are just sock puppets.  I'm guessing they all have the same hand shoved up inside as well.   I might be wrong.

Just my thoughts for the moment.

Peace to you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 3:36PM #3
TPaine
Welcome tracikay, that was an excellent post. One of the things that galls me the most about Evangelicals besides their attempt to turn this country into a theocracy is their belief that they have some divine right to decide who is and who is not a Christian. I have seen several posters say that the mainline Christian denominations are not real Christians. Only these Evangelical Fundamentalists qualify. One even claims that Pat Robertson is not a Christian. To me that type of audacity is beyond belief. I certainly do not agree with Robertson, but if he says he is a Christian, I accept that he is.
"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 4:33PM #4
gillyflower
Every time it happens I want to start a new thread where we can reassure anyone who has just been unilaterally kicked out of his or her religion by any Fundamentalist, that they still are of X religion, just a different denomination/tradition. It is one of their baser characteristics.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 4:33PM #5
gillyflower
Every time it happens I want to start a new thread where we can reassure anyone who has just been unilaterally kicked out of his or her religion by any Fundamentalist, that they still are of X religion, just a different denomination/tradition. It is one of their baser characteristics.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 9:56PM #6
itty
It's pretty noticeable alright. The worst offenders get suspended regularly. A lot of people get their egos wrapped up in what they write. They don't realize that most of us could care less WHO they are. We care about WHAT they write.

I also have a theory that we get an influx of this type during the holidays. I guess the period around Halloween reminds them of us Pagans out there worshipping a supposed Devil and they have to go save everyone from us. They think they ought to save us from ourselves.

The period between Thanksgiving and Xmas reminds them of Jesus and that means the Great Commission. So it's time to go do battle once again. Of course us nasty Pagans are at it and telling everyone that many of the symbols surrounding Xmas have Pagan origins and that just won't do!

My theory. I am going to see if it holds true. If I am right we should see a drop off of new EC/FCs after the new year.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 11:23PM #7
gorm-sionnach
[QUOTE=itty;948484]It's pretty noticeable alright. The worst offenders get suspended regularly. A lot of people get their egos wrapped up in what they write. They don't realize that most of us could care less WHO they are. We care about WHAT they write.

I also have a theory that we get an influx of this type during the holidays. I guess the period around Halloween reminds them of us Pagans out there worshipping a supposed Devil and they have to go save everyone from us. They think they ought to save us from ourselves.

The period between Thanksgiving and Xmas reminds them of Jesus and that means the Great Commission. So it's time to go do battle once again. Of course us nasty Pagans are at it and telling everyone that many of the symbols surrounding Xmas have Pagan origins and that just won't do!

My theory. I am going to see if it holds true. If I am right we should see a drop off of new EC/FCs after the new year.[/QUOTE]

I didn't start hanging about the multifaith until recently, so I can not really comment on the goings on involving Christians and their comments about Pagans during Halloween. I know there was little to nothing on the Pagan and Wiccan boards, even on the discuss forums. Now, there were a few on the Christian boards themselves, the usual Halloween hullabaloo, then again on their boards they can say what the want...

There has been a regular Christian presence on the multifaith recently, but it really seems to be either OP's who ask/ comment and are never heard from again, or a few users who have become well known facets around the place...

I wonder why there isn't a larger, more vocal Christian presence, after all they do outnumber all other religious groups on Bnet. Perhaps they do not want to interact with non-Christians? Then again, familiarity does seek itself out... Other than the occasional drive by proselytizing, why would someone spend time among the 'heathens' when they could be in online fellowship with their own sort? It can go both ways I suppose.
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 4:47AM #8
Chiyo
Acts28:22 -

Interesting post. Interesting enough that I'd like to know more about you. Hope to see and hear more from you in the future.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 7:18AM #9
gillyflower
[QUOTE=Acts 28:22;949020]I agree with you, there are many (not all) within the Evangelical movement who do  "think they some divine right to decide who is and who is not a Christian."  We LDS folks are certainly at the top of their list as NOT being Christian!  But please don't paint all Evangelicals with the same brush; they all don't think that way.
Likewise, don't paint all Christians with the same brush either; I bring this up because in a recent email to me you wrote:

QUOTE "Christians, and I consider LDS Christians, have been quite upset when the No on Prop 8 people call for boycotts, but are the first to call for them when they disapprove of what companies do! The following link is to a Christian site that calls for many boycotts.
http://www.creationists.org/boycotts.html
To complain about groups using the same strategy that is being used by the people complaining is hypocritical at best. Fair is fair. If Christians can boycott Levi-Straus, Disney, and CVS Pharmacy for supporting LGBT rights, then Gays have an equal right to boycott Marriott for the LDS opposing them."

TPaine, creationists.org does not speak for all Christians; they certainly don't speak for the LDS.  Go to  their website and search the word 'Mormon'.  They're part of the Evangelical group that would disapprove of calling the LDS Christians in the first place.  I've never heard of us joining any boycotts, theirs or anyone else's!  I don't know that we were even invited!
Sidenote:  Not to defend Creationists.org but....have they ever called for the digging up of dirt on the private lives of the officials of the companies they boycott?  Published the  home addresses and  phone numbers of these officials?  Have the boycotted officials been getting threatening and harassing phone calls all times of the day and night?  Is creationist.org suspected of vandalizing the businesses they boycott? Have creationist.org folks ever been accused of damaging and spraypainting the homes and automobiles of  boycotted officials?  Have any of the boycotted officials had to leave their jobs because lawful actions they made were made public and demonized?
TPaine, I've looked at your impressive page and I've read some of your writings;  I believe you to be a very intelligent man and one who strives to be tolerant and open minded.  I just think you are not studying, deeply enough, (and from all sources) all the intricacies of these complex issues....not that I'm pretending to be the big expert on any of them either![/QUOTE]

I think that all those things and more have been done to people who support the right to choose for women and/or work at a clinic that supports it and/or work at a clinic that performs abortions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 8:25AM #10
War_Eagle
[QUOTE=TPaine;947706]Welcome tracikay, that was an excellent post. One of the things that galls me the most about Evangelicals besides their attempt to turn this country into a theocracy is their belief that they have some divine right to decide who is and who is not a Christian. I have seen several posters say that the mainline Christian denominations are not real Christians. Only these Evangelical Fundamentalists qualify. One even claims that Pat Robertson is not a Christian. To me that type of audacity is beyond belief. I certainly do not agree with Robertson, but if he says he is a Christian, I accept that he is.[/QUOTE]

And if you were the one who determined who is or isn't a Christian, then you might have a point.

But the fact remains, no matter how much you want to deny it, that the Bible does say that not everyone who claims to be a Christian is a Christian and gives us an objective standard to tell the difference.

The Bible is very clear in 2 John, among other places, that if you do not hold to sound doctrine, that you are not a Christian, no matter how loudly you claim to be.

Pat Robertson does not hold to the doctrines the Bible tells us are required to be a Christian. Therefore, according to the Bible, Pat Robertson is not a Christian.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 59  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 59 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook