Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Cradle" Religion....
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 5:53PM #1
LeahOne
If anyone does feel like sharing:  Are you in the faith you were 'born' into, or have you found a new faith tradition ?  If you're not in your 'original' faith, what about the current tradition was the biggest 'draw' for you?  :  ))
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 6:22PM #2
gillyflower
My parents were moderate Christians and so was I. I still have very warm feelings for Christianity. I was for many years a social Christian. I wanted an active god in my life and a cosmology I could believe, that's why I finally left the religion.

The first thing that drew me to Paganism and Wicca was the cosmology. I remember how amazed I was to find a world view that fit with my experiences and that I could believe. I explored a lot before I settled on Wicca and the UEW tradition. They and their cosmology seemed very sane to me. I was upfront with them. I wasn't certain that was my path and they were okay with that. My matron goddess spoke to me first soon after I said goodbye to Yahweh and then my patron god. That was pretty interesting to me. I think that the gods waited for me to leave Yahweh before contacting me.

So that is the answer to your question. Active gods and a cosmology that I could believe. :)
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 7:01PM #3
ittybittyone
My story is very much like Gilly's. I was raised as a slightly more that secular Christian. We did pray at the table, we always attended the High Holy days and went to services off and on during the rest of the year. We had a farm to run and honestly farm came before church. I hate to put this way but a person can't eat a pulpit. When it's calving season then it's calving season. That's the priority.

My dad wasn't a churchy kind of guy. My mother wasn't churchy. They felt that religion was in the home. It was in the food, the shelter, the clothes and the love. Mom used to sing hymns when she cooked. I think I probably ate more Christianity than I every got at church. I know I wore more because she sang hymns when she sewed our clothes. She always told me that cooking and sewing and canning had the magic of love in every bit of it. I think she was a kitchen Witch. She always had a neat home but never spotless. She said we can't tell if there is love if the house doesn't show it. A home is to be lived in. She believed that family was central to life. She also told me that God knows us and will answer when we call. I thought that was weird when I was young but I learned she was right. My Gods did answer when I called.

Dad was an outdoorsman. He was most comfortable in the timber. He taught me never to take a life that wasn't necessary. We ate a lot of wild game. I hunted as a youngster and a teen. The rule was that it wasn't to go in the cook pot it wasn't to be shot.

He always took a bit of time when he took an animal or fish.He stood in a reverent silence. He would touch his prey with gentle hands. He never took it for granted that the animal owed him anything.

He did the same when we butchered. He was silent and reverent about the process. He was as gentle and humane as he could be.His hands were as gentle as they could be and he touched those animals with a quiet, gentle way.  He took that same time to be silent.learned to do that by his example.

He was in tune with the seasons and taught me the little hidden things that presage them turning. He delighted in looking for them and he delighted when his children were as avid about it as he was.

He always said that the most wonderful and sacred cathedral was found out in the timber. He had favorite trees, nooks and little shelters out of the wind and weather. He thought the kitchen was the heart of the home and the barn was the bread basket. Our animals came first. Yes, we raised them to eat. That didn't make them lesser to us. That made them more. Their care was an integral part of my growing up.

I learned that all life is sacred and when we take a life we must do it in a sacred manner. Dad never joked about slaughtering an animal for food. It was serious, very serious. I picked that up from him. As odd as this may sound I handle meat in the supermarket that same way. I know where it came from and the animal that died that I might eat deserves respect.

So, I suppose I was always coming to Wicca. They might not have meant to but my parents pointed my way. You know what's funny strange? I just realized that right now.

I love the cosmology of Wicca. I love the direct interaction with my Gods. I love the Wheel of the Year as it turns through the seasons. I love to be part of the rebirth, life, death and rebirth I experience in my religion. I love the ritual.

I hope that makes sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 7:12PM #4
weirdfaery
My family was mostly backsliding Christians and I never really had much religion and wasn't sure that I even believed YWHW existed until one day I got the message loud and clear "Yes I exist."
Even knowing that He existed I still didn't feel a connection to Him and that lead to even more confusion until I found this glaring orange book called The Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft. Even though I realized that Wicca wasn't for me that book helped me to open my heart and hear my Gods and realize that they have always been there. Even though there's probably no one in the world who worships exactly like I do I know that I'm on the path that was meant for me.

I guess what I love about my religion is that it's me.  It shapes who I am and the way I live my life and the lessons that I try to teach my children.

I really hope that that makes sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 8:00PM #5
TigersEyeDowsing
*warm and fuzzies* :)
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 8:51PM #6
radhe-govinda
Namaste Everyone :)

thank you for sharing your stories.  I enjoy very much reading these types of things.  I do have a question though to the Pagans on here.  I have read on this thread a few others that many who choose Paganism have direct encounters with the deities.  I was wondering how they come to you.  is it a dream or a meditative vision or something?  if it's something too personal to share, it's ok then.  it's just my curiosity :)

as for myself.  I was born into a catholic family.  my extended family is very religious but my immediate family, not so much.  My dad was not around a lot when i was younger and my mom is kind of a non denominational unitarian universalist christian (if that makes sense) my brothers and i went through 12 years of catholic school but my parents did it more for the education then the religion.  we did go to church on the big holidays and sometimes on sundays with my mom but we weren't super religious. 

after my brother nearly died (well he did the doctors had to bring him back 3 times) i turned away from christianity.  i had major problems with it.  after some study i converted to buddhism around the age of 14 or 15.  i was pretty serious for a while but eventually it became apparent to me that i was trying to turn buddhism into something that it wasn't.  i was then left with a huge dilemma. i thought about going back to christianity but also couldn't shake something in the back of my mind.  by that point i had been to india twice and both times it had a profound impact on me. 

i was very very confused at this point and pretty much stepped away from all religious practice.  i did pray though a lot asking the universe or god or whatever was out there, to show me what i should believe, what was true.  Krishna was the one who answered so here i am now :)

Hari Om!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 10:18PM #7
weirdfaery

radhe-govinda wrote:

thank you for sharing your stories. I enjoy very much reading these types of things. I do have a question though to the Pagans on here. I have read on this thread a few others that many who choose Paganism have direct encounters with the deities. I was wondering how they come to you. is it a dream or a meditative vision or something? if it's something too personal to share, it's ok then. it's just my curiosity :)

I'll try to answer this,it may not be very coherent.

I've never been blessed enough to have a "physical" (that's not really a good term) encounter with my Gods. They mostly communicate with me through random thoughts and emotions that come from outside myself.
When I was a teenager I had to live through abuse and whenever things would get to much for me I would sit under a pine tree and I would always get this feeling of peace and I could sense a presence that was very femine and maternal. The thoughts that I had during those times were never in my voice as it were. They were alwasys encouraging and loving.

My experience with YWHW was much the same way. One day I was wondering if he really existed and why I was having such a hard time just being Christian when I just felt this encredible feeling of incredible joy and I heard quite clearly "I exist."

I was thinking about why that experience wasn't enough to make me a Christian just the other day and I felt the same presence only lesser and  I got the impression that someone was giving me a pat on the head saying you wanted to know if I exsisted so I answered. That doesn't make you a child of mine.

I think I've worked out my issues with YWHW.:)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 8:00PM #8
TigersEyeDowsing
*warm and fuzzies* :)
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 8:51PM #9
radhe-govinda

thank you for sharing your stories.  I enjoy very much reading these types of things.  I do have a question though to the Pagans on here.  I have read on this thread a few others that many who choose Paganism have direct encounters with the deities.  I was wondering how they come to you.  is it a dream or a meditative vision or something?  if it's something too personal to share, it's ok then.  it's just my curiosity :)

as for myself.  I was born into a catholic family.  my extended family is very religious but my immediate family, not so much.  My dad was not around a lot when i was younger and my mom is kind of a non denominational unitarian universalist christian (if that makes sense) my brothers and i went through 12 years of catholic school but my parents did it more for the education then the religion.  we did go to church on the big holidays and sometimes on sundays with my mom but we weren't super religious. 

after my brother nearly died (well he did the doctors had to bring him back 3 times) i turned away from christianity.  i had major problems with it.  after some study i converted to buddhism around the age of 14 or 15.  i was pretty serious for a while but eventually it became apparent to me that i was trying to turn buddhism into something that it wasn't.  i was then left with a huge dilemma. i thought about going back to christianity but also couldn't shake something in the back of my mind.  by that point i had been to india twice and both times it had a profound impact on me. 

i was very very confused at this point and pretty much stepped away from all religious practice.  i did pray though a lot asking the universe or god or whatever was out there, to show me what i should believe, what was true.  Krishna was the one who answered so here i am now :)

Hari Om!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 10:18PM #10
weirdfaery

radhe-govinda wrote:

thank you for sharing your stories. I enjoy very much reading these types of things. I do have a question though to the Pagans on here. I have read on this thread a few others that many who choose Paganism have direct encounters with the deities. I was wondering how they come to you. is it a dream or a meditative vision or something? if it's something too personal to share, it's ok then. it's just my curiosity :)

I'll try to answer this,it may not be very coherent.

I've never been blessed enough to have a "physical" (that's not really a good term) encounter with my Gods. They mostly communicate with me through random thoughts and emotions that come from outside myself.
When I was a teenager I had to live through abuse and whenever things would get to much for me I would sit under a pine tree and I would always get this feeling of peace and I could sense a presence that was very femine and maternal. The thoughts that I had during those times were never in my voice as it were. They were alwasys encouraging and loving.

My experience with YWHW was much the same way. One day I was wondering if he really existed and why I was having such a hard time just being Christian when I just felt this encredible feeling of incredible joy and I heard quite clearly "I exist."

I was thinking about why that experience wasn't enough to make me a Christian just the other day and I felt the same presence only lesser and  I got the impression that someone was giving me a pat on the head saying you wanted to know if I exsisted so I answered. That doesn't make you a child of mine.

I think I've worked out my issues with YWHW.:)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook