Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Two souls within me, so what do I do?
6 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 10:42PM #1
moth1701
I'm in a bit of a spiritual bind--Now, I would describe myself as a pretty devout, traditional (non-denominational) Christian, but lately I've been starting to feel in tune with paganism, especially and specifically Celtic Reconstructionism. I mean, there are parts of both I adore, and parts I don't care for, as it is, I suppose, for most believers. But do most believers have this sort of soul-struggle? My two ancestral faiths seem to be waging war within me, and I'm afraid that if one succeeds I'll miss the other one's path for me.

What can I do? I've prayed about this, and I kept understanding that perhaps other's struggles could help me. So, what can I do?

For those who have help for me, thank you in advance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2008 - 12:20AM #2
TigersEyeDowsing
Hi Moth,

The good part about Christianity is that with tens of thousands of denominations, there's bound to be one that fits into your religious persuasion. 

I too have an affinity for aspects of Paganism, though it never truly called to me, which is why I am not Pagan.  However, there's no reason why I can't incorporate those aspects of Paganism into my daily life and religious practices.

You didn't mention what specifically calls to you from Paganism.  Do you ever have the desire to run out to an oak grove and pray?  Do you feel a deep reverence to nature?  Do you see "God" as being one with creation? 

We have a large Pagan community in Asheville, and our Unity hosts their special drum circles and celebrations.  I hear it's beautiful, but I've never felt called to attend.  In Unity, we incorporate some Pagan beliefs into Christianity.  When you look at the big picture, we really are all one, and are simply expressing the same thing in different ways. 

If you don't desire to find a denomination that caters to your calling (and it's okay to change denominations as you grow!) I do hope you take the time to celebrate/worship as you see fit.  For me, stepping into - or even visualizing - the beauty of nature is the second most divine thing I can regularly experience.

What's the first?  Universal love. ;)

Joseph
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2008 - 5:06PM #3
mainecaptain
I agree with Tigerseye. WHat about Paganism do you feel drawn too. And what parts of xtianity do you have an attraction for. Perhaps you could be more specific and we can see if our  ideas make sense. :)
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2008 - 5:33PM #4
gillyflower
The thing that a wise person told me once and I believe, if you have no problems with the god(s) of a religion then you can find, somewhere among the many denominations one that suits you. If you cannot repair your relationship with the god(s) then it is time to move on to a different religion.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2008 - 3:55PM #5
natureboy_the0

moth1701 wrote:

I'm in a bit of a spiritual bind--Now, I would describe myself as a pretty devout, traditional (non-denominational) Christian, but lately I've been starting to feel in tune with paganism, especially and specifically Celtic Reconstructionism. I mean, there are parts of both I adore, and parts I don't care for, as it is, I suppose, for most believers. But do most believers have this sort of soul-struggle? My two ancestral faiths seem to be waging war within me, and I'm afraid that if one succeeds I'll miss the other one's path for me.

What can I do? I've prayed about this, and I kept understanding that perhaps other's struggles could help me. So, what can I do?

For those who have help for me, thank you in advance.

Yeshua (Jesus) taught us in Matthew 28:19 [COLOR=magenta]Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: (20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Those words suggest you are being led to observe something other than Christianity. It doesn't mean reject Christianity but to see how they work to reveal the same truths.[/COLOR]

For 31 years I have been a nomad studying with every religion I was allow to while not rejecting Christianity, I was born into. In looking for them to be revealing the same truths that is what I found all religions do. The main differences in religions are, their base culture gives different metaphors saying the same that the others say.

Are you questioning your beliefs, ask I AM THAT I AM to clarify them!
Elijah Alfred "NatureBoy" Alexander, Jr. presenting SEEDS OF LIFE
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2008 - 9:55PM #6
Heimdallsman
moth,

I've been through a similar deal as you have.  I was born into a heavily-baptist area, somewhat harmed by them (especially my baptism, but that's another story), and suffered some serious crises of faith.  The thing that helped me was learning about the different religions I was curious about, and then spending time asking myself what I wanted, what I needed, what I believed.  Then, I found what I consider to be my calling at this moment.  The important thing I learned was that gods are connectedyou, not the other way around, and you need a god who understands and respects that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 9:24AM #7
BlessedCelt
I too have faced the difficulty of being drawn to aspects of Celtic mysticism that dwell outside "mainstream" Christianity.  In particular, I am drawn to the ancient methods of invoking the Elements as part of my rituals - something that was part of the Christian esoteric tradition but has been almost entirely removed in our modern rites - and the Wheel of the Year, which allows me to include the natural changing of the seasons into my spiritual practice .  What I have done is learned all I can about the way Christianity was practiced when it was first introduced to the Celtic lands - when the saints and missionaries that were converting the pagans found ways to incorporate the rituals and beliefs of the converted into the "new" religion.  I have then tried to use the same inclusive philosophy in my personal rituals.  I have also found others who share my interest and my viewpoint.  We all still attend worship services at our churches - indeed we are all active members of our parishes - but we also explore Celtic Christianity and how it differs from what we are taught today and we include those practices and thoughts in our lives.  We include "non-traditional" elements into our group rituals and we meet monthly to discuss Celtic Christianity and how we can manifest it in our daily lives.

In the end, we are all seeking a connection to the Divine and the different methods we use are less important than the connection.  So, I would encourage you to study parts of non-traditional Christianity as well as those parts of non-Christian tradition that appeal to you and find your own "blend" - one that works for you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 6:39PM #8
auraangel
I have met many people who are going through the spiritual transition you now experiance.  I believe that as we grow in self and faith the desire to know and feel more grows with us.  It may be that you are growing on a spiritual level and your belifs are expanding with you.  I have experianced through the years many desired transitions from religion to religion and I have found for myself that when I look through the eyes of my soul I see with love and acceptance, when I look through the eyes of flesh I see with fear and Judgment.  I would say that you are not loosing your faith or trying to choose another, your vibrational awareness is altering and you are opening to the realization that all are one.  Your soul is wishing to encompass larger amounts of belief to fill the resonalting core of expansion.   Embrace the new you.  Dissolve old  disfuctional belifs that hinder your growth.  If your soul is yearning for groth and expansion, feed it, alow yourself to embrace what is new or different so that your heart can make the disicion of what it needs. Donot allow your mind to decide for you.  If you feel compelled to experiance a little paganism, find a group in your area and allow yourself to openly be part of the experiance they offer.  You may find what you've always been missing.  Enjoy the journey, for it will be a great one. love and light. travel well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 8:09PM #9
Bob_Bennett
[QUOTE=moth1701;307334]I'm in a bit of a spiritual bind--Now, I would describe myself as a pretty devout, traditional (non-denominational) Christian, but lately I've been starting to feel in tune with paganism, especially and specifically Celtic Reconstructionism. I mean, there are parts of both I adore, and parts I don't care for, as it is, I suppose, for most believers. But do most believers have this sort of soul-struggle? My two ancestral faiths seem to be waging war within me, and I'm afraid that if one succeeds I'll miss the other one's path for me.

For those who have help for me, thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

Since you like both paths, I don't see how you can go wrong.  Why burden yourself over this?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 8:09PM #10
Bob_Bennett
[QUOTE=moth1701;307334]I'm in a bit of a spiritual bind--Now, I would describe myself as a pretty devout, traditional (non-denominational) Christian, but lately I've been starting to feel in tune with paganism, especially and specifically Celtic Reconstructionism. I mean, there are parts of both I adore, and parts I don't care for, as it is, I suppose, for most believers. But do most believers have this sort of soul-struggle? My two ancestral faiths seem to be waging war within me, and I'm afraid that if one succeeds I'll miss the other one's path for me.

For those who have help for me, thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

Since you like both paths, I don't see how you can go wrong.  Why burden yourself over this?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook