Page 3 of 78  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 78 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Question to those who don't like proselytizing?
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 2:30PM #21
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Chiyo wrote:

In my city, the proselytizing Hare Krishnas and Moonies were harrassed so badly that they eventually left town. Makes me wonder why the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons have stayed?... Could it be because, they're actually seen as some form of "Christian" and are at least given a modicum of respect that is not granted toward other religions? :confused:

They're also convinced that any negative reactions they might get are to the message, not to them, and should be taken as reinforcement that they are doing the correct thing.

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 2:39PM #22
Chiyo

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

They're also convinced that any negative reactions they might get are to the message, not to them, and should be taken as reinforcement that they are doing the correct thing.

all

Heh, I know! Recently, I'd pointed out to a Fundamentalist Christian that the tactics Christians have been using lately simply aren't working, that they're driving people away from Jesus instead of bringing in converts and maybe it's time for Christianity to have a moment of introspection and change tactics? When I said this, I'd provided some proof, from the Evangelical Barna Group (below)... The response I got was; "If Christianity is going to die, praise be Jesus and God's Will be done." Basically, it was a 14-word long shrug. "Oh, well..."
It made me wonder when the ideas of "Good Stewardship" and the "Great Commission" became passe?

[QUOTE]
Young Americans today are more skeptical and resistant to Christianity than were people of the same age just a decade ago, says a new study.

Negative perceptions toward the Christian faith have outweighed the positive as a growing percentage of younger Americans associate with a faith outside Christianity.

Only 16 percent of non-Christians aged 16 to 29 years old said they have a "good impression" of Christianity, according to a report released Monday by The Barna Group. A decade ago, the vast majority of Americans outside the Christian faith, including young people, felt favorably toward Christianity’s role in society,

Young people have an even lesser positive impression of evangelicals. Only 3 percent of 16- to 29-year-olds who are not of the Christian faith express favorable views of evangelicals. In the previous generation, 25 percent of young people had positive associations toward evangelicals.

Common negative perceptions among non-Christians is that present-day Christianity is judgmental (87 percent), hypocritical (85 percent), old-fashioned (78 percent), and too involved in politics (75 percent).
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1902232/posts

[/QUOTE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 2:51PM #23
weirdfaery

mainecaptain wrote:

We have our own religions, we do not need someone trying to change that. It is disrespectful. And it does not make your god look good either. I am sure he would be displeased, with how people are making him look weak.

Just because it needed to be repeated.

Hi Maine!   

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 3:27PM #24
Cooper
I don't want proselytizing period.  My religion doesn't do it and we are just fine. 

It is offensive, disrespectful, and intrusive.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 3:28PM #25
Cooper
[QUOTE=weirdfaery;685867]It really doesn't matter what religion you are. I don't want anyone trying to tell me about the condition of my soul. Honestly how arrogant is it to tell another person that you have all the answers about the very essence of their being? That's just delusional.[/QUOTE]

It is very arrogant among other things.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 3:40PM #26
weirdfaery
The words I'm thinking of probably go against the ROC.:(
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 3:49PM #27
Cooper
[QUOTE=weirdfaery;688649]The words I'm thinking of probably go against the ROC.:([/QUOTE]

Lol.. I'm a mind reader, at least in the instance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 5:37PM #28
nieciedo
I believe in equality: I hate all proselytizers, of any faith.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 6:50PM #29
Sacrificialgoddess
Does Gilligan have a persecution complex?  ;:confused:
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 6:54PM #30
gillyflower
I don't think so. He has a real talent. He posts an over the edge one liner and gets pages of posts in return. I wonder if he sits back and has a good laugh about it.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 78  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 78 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook