Page 1 of 78  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 78 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Question to those who don't like proselytizing?
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 2:38PM #1
Gilligan
Are Christians the only group you don't want to proselytize? If yes, Why? If proselytizing should be forbidden, shouldn't that apply to other religions (or nonreligious) as well? If you single out only Christians  to forbid proselytizing, that only shows you hate only Christians. In case you say others don't proselytize, I'm just raising a hypothetical situation, what IF they did?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 2:46PM #2
Genocon
Hare Krishnas have preached at me. I hated it just as much as I hate Jehovah's Witnesses or the members of the nearby Baptist church coming to my door.

People single out Christians because they are the biggest proselytizers, by far. Most people have never encountered a proselytizing non-Christian. There aren't that many to begin with.

I would imagine most people averse to proselytism don't care what religion it's from. It's all annoying and rude to us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 3:12PM #3
bytebear
I don't have a problem with it as long as they are willing to listen as much as talk, and that they respect the fact that I know my religion better than they know my religion.  So many want to say, "You believe this" when in fact I don't.  But if you can dish it out, then you can take it.  I will accept any material from you , and read it, if you will do the same.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 3:47PM #4
Sailorlal79
[QUOTE=Gilligan;685633]Are Christians the only group you don't want to proselytize? If yes, Why? If proselytizing should be forbidden, shouldn't that apply to other religions (or nonreligious) as well? If you single out only Christians  to forbid proselytizing, that only shows you hate only Christians. In case you say others don't proselytize, I'm just raising a hypothetical situation, what IF they did?[/QUOTE]

Me not wanting them to proseltyze does not mean I would legally ban it. All kinds of protected speech offend me, but that's the price of living in a free society.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 3:53PM #5
weirdfaery
It really doesn't matter what religion you are. I don't want anyone trying to tell me about the condition of my soul. Honestly how arrogant is it to tell another person that you have all the answers about the very essence of their being? That's just delusional.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 4:01PM #6
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Gilligan wrote:

Are Christians the only group you don't want to proselytize? If yes, Why? If proselytizing should be forbidden, shouldn't that apply to other religions (or nonreligious) as well? If you single out only Christians  to forbid proselytizing, that only shows you hate only Christians. In case you say others don't proselytize, I'm just raising a hypothetical situation, what IF they did?

I don't appreciate it when anyone tells me that my position is worthless and that I need to adopt theirs, especially when they have not gone to the effort to understand my position and are simply judging it on the basis that it is not the same as theirs.  It doesn't really matter what the topic is, or what the position the other one is presenting. 

I do not wish to make such things illegal though.  I would not wish to live in any place that did.  For me, the underlying problem is what would need to be corrected, and that is not something that can be legislated. 

It is a problem endemic in our society today, one of respect, and seeing the consequences of your actions.  Proselytizers are only looking at their selfish goals and what they think is right while not considering the effects on others. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 5:50PM #7
gillyflower
It's more than that. They look upon people as prey. They prey upon people, especially the old, and young and vulnerable, and take their money, just like any con artist.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 6:25PM #8
itty
Very good answers here. I don't have an issue with anyone of any religion sharing their point of view with me. I have an issue when the person doing that sharing brushes me aside and tries to tell me what is good for me.

The right to swing your fist stops at the end of my nose.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 12:50AM #9
ZenYen
Gilligan: I do not wish to proselytized to by anyone of ANY religion. I do, however, welcome actual discussion of faith with anyone of any religion. By discussion, I mean I listen to them and they listen to me. By discussion, I mean they actually answer my questions instead of evade them and I do likewise for them.

People pick on evangelical Christians for proselytizing because, in my neck of the woods, anyway, evangelical Christians are the only ones who do it. They also seem to have no interest whatsoever in hearing my religious views or answering my questions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2008 - 12:58AM #10
Gwyddion9
Personally, I’m not interested in being proselytized at all. I don’t mind a discussion if a conversation evolves that way but I’m not interested at all. I have my faith and not, in the least, interested in converting to something else. I dislike the presumption that is made by many of those proselytizing. I will, politely tell them the first time, No thank you. If they persist, I generally tell them that I’m not interested. If they persist beyond that, I let them know, in no uncertain terms, what I think of their actions, Thankfully, most don’t get to that point but a few do, so I deal with them as needed.
  Another sore spot for me regarding proselytizing is that my apartment complex CLEARLY STATES, no soliciting. Either they can’t read or are so full of themselves to think it doesn’t apply to them.
  For me, I consider proselytizing rude, obnoxious, and presumptuous. Personally, I’d like to see it banned.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

Let My Worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. Charge of the Goddess
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 78  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 78 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook