Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can you define your faith?
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 2:37PM #1
LPInspiration
If you had to explain this to a child in a few sentences… how would you do so?

Thank you for sharing your words and your heart!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 2:42PM #2
peterthesplitfish
Shalom LPInspirtation,

Love everyone else as much as you love yourself. Never stop learning. Listen to the kindest voice in your head.

Peter M.

p.s. this depends a great deal on what age of course.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2008 - 1:42PM #3
Sacrificialgoddess
Paraphrasing Seneca here.  The gods lead those who will.  Those who won't, they drag.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2008 - 1:50PM #4
Chiyo
Unfortunately, suffering exists in this life. And it is our prime directive to relieve it.

Suffering has an cause or a beginning.

Suffering has a treatment or cure and can be brought to an end.

This is the path of relieving suffering; Right view, right thought, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right meditation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2008 - 2:13PM #5
itty
Live in loving kindness. Reach  out your hands and help someone up. Do to others what you want them to do to you.
Do your best. Say thank you and mean it. Say I'm sorry and mean it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2008 - 11:02AM #6
allthegoodnamesweretaken
I follow the gods of my ancestors. 

I think my signature works well too.

all
Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2008 - 4:23PM #7
Jenandew7

LPInspiration wrote:

If you had to explain this to a child in a few sentences… how would you do so?

Thank you for sharing your words and your heart!

Telling a child--whew!  We do it all the time, but perhaps we don't think carefully enough about how to do it.  I found this challenging.  I could tell you much more easily.

God is the Creator of mankind.  Knowing that God loves his creation, ourselves, that he made in his own image, if we see his children suffering, then we should love them as God loves them and do everything we can to relieve their suffering as though we are doing it for God.   Because we are.  This is what he asks us to do.

Peace.
Annie

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2008 - 4:39PM #8
hopeforus
Now that's a tall order, and what Jenandew7 said was so right, we do it all the time, maybe not thinking about it as much as we should. I think it depends on if it's your child or not, I sure wouldn't want to impose my beliefs on someone elses, but as for mine, I jsut tell them what I believe in, and why. Personally, I'm a Christian, and the following phrase seems to sum it up in the best way....

"You may be the only Bible some people read."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2008 - 4:54PM #9
Beowulf2008
[QUOTE=LPInspiration;664479]If you had to explain this to a child in a few sentences… how would you do so?

Thank you for sharing your words and your heart![/QUOTE]

I believe in the God of the Bible, at least the Old Testament.  I believe there was a Jesus and he had some interesting things to say and then was executed by the Romans but am not certain on the rest of the New Testament.  I believe God created the world with not only physical laws like gravity but also social laws which thru most of history have been refered to as "natural law.".  I think we can use experience and reason to discover those laws, and that if you act in accordance with the laws things (generally) tend to go well for you and if you act against those laws things tend (generally) to go bad for you. I believe God has and does intervene in human events in sublte ways that are generally hard to recognize as such, but I beleive God generally counts on people to do His will.  I believe in universal salvation but am uncertain as to the specifics of the afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2008 - 5:11PM #10
Lookbeyond
I am a child of God....and so are you! He has sent us here to learn to be like Him! He showed us the way, He taught us how to care about others by His example. He taught us to be forgiving of all who do us harm! He taught us that we must trust in Him, just as I want you to trust me! In learning obedience to laws, we enjoy the peace that comes from such obedience and we need not fear truth. If we don't kill we won't lose our freedom or our own life or spend years in prison. If we don't steal, we don't need to fear someone coming after us! If we are clean and pure, and keep our minds as well as our bodies clean, we invite God's Spirit to teach our spirits all we need to know to return to Him when this life is over. The Bible has many guidelines and teachings that we can learn the attributes of perfection and Christlike love......come little child, let us read it together....then let us strive to live by what we learn!  Remember, wickedness never was happiness......only a temporary counterfeit of what the Lord desires for us to have as we live by the righteous principles He has taught us.........let us always seek to follow the Light, so that darkness cannot find place within us!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook