Page 8 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Televangilists: liked and/or disliked
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 10:51PM #71
david_walker
ChicagoHeathen,

"First off, UPG is a human term, "unverifiable personal gnosis". No one's gods come to them and go, "Yo, this is a UPG, listen up." In that regard by itself, the question is a bit odd.

To determine whether an experience was a UPG or not, you have to be able to determine three things.

First off, was it gnosis? Was it a receiving of spiritual knowledge? Of knowledge relating to deity? If yes, go to the next question. If no, it wasn't gnosis.

Was it personal? Did it happen just to you? If yes, go on to the next question. If no, if it happened to a bunch of people all at once, or didn't happen to you personally, then it wasn't personal.

Was it verifiable? Do you have evidence that could scientifically prove your experience, or at least enough evidence to stand up in a rigorous court of law? If no, then it is unverifiable. If yes.... then dang, I really want your evidence.

So, if your god comes down to you and says, "Hey, I'm a god, and this is NOT a UPG," well... by definition, it is STILL a UPG."

The framework just quoted; would it classify as a UPG?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 10:52PM #72
gillyflower
Nope, because I just read it too.

Was english perhaps not your first language?
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 11:04PM #73
Sacrificialgoddess

friendofsaints&angels wrote:

SG I try no to get into habits of returning insult for insult, or debating God with people for that matter. All I can do is pray for you, but please don't try to speak for people and things that you don't have any understanding about. I don't pretend too speak for everyone and I don't appreciate when someone trys putting words in my mouth.

So... now you are saying that you do see the world through my eyes the same as me?  You now are starting to confuse me.   :confused:

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 9:30AM #74
gillyflower
Oh, boy, you still don't understand what you are saying, do you? You might think really hard about how come so much miscommunication goes on with your posts.

Bye! Perhaps you can find a board where no one will disagree with you. I wish you well.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 9:54AM #75
Sacrificialgoddess

Have fun at someone elses expense and I'm sure that you can find someone else to argue with. I'll be back here if someone actually has something interesting too say. the best way to respond too someone who twists other peoples thoughts and words too their liking, is too just not respond at all. it appears that you only can see and hear, what you want to see and hear.

No.  I really am confused at what you are trying to say!

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 9:30AM #76
gillyflower
Oh, boy, you still don't understand what you are saying, do you? You might think really hard about how come so much miscommunication goes on with your posts.

Bye! Perhaps you can find a board where no one will disagree with you. I wish you well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 9:54AM #77
Sacrificialgoddess

Have fun at someone elses expense and I'm sure that you can find someone else to argue with. I'll be back here if someone actually has something interesting too say. the best way to respond too someone who twists other peoples thoughts and words too their liking, is too just not respond at all. it appears that you only can see and hear, what you want to see and hear.

No.  I really am confused at what you are trying to say!

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 11:59AM #78
Redfrog777
Dave,

“The framework just quoted; would it classify as a UPG?”

The framework just quoted seems to me to be a fairly well thought out method of determining the viability of a “UPG”.

BTW so what happens to our guy that can’t see purple?

Friendofsaints&angels,

What was that all about? From my POV nobody was attacking you or having fun at your expense?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 4:10PM #79
Wmdkitty

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 4:53PM #80
tameless_heart
You darned right we dont' understand you...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook