Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Televangilists: liked and/or disliked
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2007 - 9:13PM #1
EDMBOOKMAN
I am brand new to this website.  I was doing some net searching on J.O, (come on now ,with 30,000 church members, you gotta know who i mean).  Anyway, that led me to the "old" website and a closed read only thread about TELEVANGELISTS that were liked or disliked and why.  I was interested in that and joined to put in my 2cents worth.

I have some issues with Olsteen, pretty much the same ones voiced by conservative, scholarly sources elsewhere.       "if" you truly believe in a salvation through Jesus Christ,  would it hurt you to devote 10 minutes of your "sermon" to it??  Or would that reduce the feel-good ministry finances from 100 million down to maybe 1/2 of that?

I (for the most part) am not a real fan of most Televangelists.  As has been suggested earlier,  many come off as just wanting little old ladies social security checks and dead husbands savings.  BUT......  IF YOU PREACH THE SAVING GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST,,,,,,,,,,, I could not care less how big your house is, how many Rolls you own or any of the rest.

I think my favorite is JESSIE DUPLANTIS,   He is funny,  he is "very wealthy'" and makes no bones about his prosperity,  BUT........ he puts his money where his mouth is and every message has a wonderful Salvation aspect and a sincere alter call for salvation.

I caught about 2 minutes of J.O. this morning and thought WoW,  that looks more like a sports arena then a church.  No coincidences,  I catch him on 60 minutes tonight and find out it is a former   sports arena.

When even ,  liberal CBS,  is "grilling" the subject about NO mention of SIN,  or JESUS CHRIST.    ya gotta ask what is this guy about,  (HENCE MY EARLIER WEB SEARCH).

The word  "non-denominational" sometimes makes me a bit squeamish.  There is the old addage that  "If you dont' stand for something,  YOU will fall for anything."   Nevertheless,   BILLY GRAHAM,  well loved, well respected by every single race, creed, color, and denomination of individual   could fill 50,000 seat facilities every night of the week for decades and yet EVERY SINGLE SERMON had the same story.    SIN=DEATH,  Salvation through Jesus Christ = Forgiveness/ Heaven.

If J.O.  believes it,   then preach it
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2007 - 9:32PM #2
Chicagoheathen
I have no idea who or what "J.O. is. As far as televangelists go, I hate the lot of them. Disgusting creatures in human-suits. Blergh.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 6:12AM #3
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=ChicagoHeathen;161405]I have no idea who or what "J.O. is. As far as televangelists go, I hate the lot of them. Disgusting creatures in human-suits. Blergh.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Praise ferret.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 6:16AM #4
TigersEyeDowsing
Bookman, this post was probably placed in the wrong forum.  Only a percentage of Christians like televangelists, and being in the Multifaith forum, you're going to have a minimal positive response.  I suppose this would best be under "Christian to Christian" debate.

Best,

Joseph
_________________)____
http://www.LessonsInTruth.info
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 11:56AM #5
PancakeNinja
I for one really do not like televangelists.  Their shows always come on after the ones Ilike when I'm too tired to get up and change the channel.  That, and they are constantly asking for donations, forwhat exactly?  Those people are so rich, they're basically capitalizing off of Christianity and faith.  They have millions and milllions of dollars, and blow it all on their studios, cars, mansions, other stuff, and very little of it goes to refusing to teach citizens of third-world African countries to use condoms to prevent HIV.   They're all selfish idiots.  And I live about half an hour away from the biggest selfish idiot of all time: Pat Robertson.  Why must that disgusting little bug who calls himself a human being live right in Virginia Beach?!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 1:46PM #6
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Who?

I have found that TV evangelists are easy enough to ignore.  I don't bother with their names at all.

all
Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 2:57PM #7
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=allthegoodnamesweretaken;162542]Who?

I have found that TV evangelists are easy enough to ignore.  I don't bother with their names at all.

all[/QUOTE]

Amen. The last one I heard of was Tammy Faye.  And that's only because the witch croaked recently.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 3:03PM #8
allthegoodnamesweretaken

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:

Amen. The last one I heard of was Tammy Faye.  And that's only because the witch croaked recently.

I have to say, I got quite a kick out of her friendship with Ron Jeremy.

Yeah, yeah, I watched the surreal life, but only for the first season.

:eek:

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 8:13PM #9
iconoclast
I actually enjoy televangelicalistas - they're so friggin' bizarre - who actually takes them seriously?  I think the more flamboyant ones (e.g., Ernest Angley, the late, great Gene Scott) - are very entertaining.  I've enjoyed many a late night with good weed and these wacky "men of God."  At their most laughable, these guys are even better than infomercials for unintentional humor.  All I can say is, HEE-EE-EE-EELLL!  JEEZUS - HEEL!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2007 - 8:40PM #10
EDMBOOKMAN
[QUOTE=TigersEyeDowsing;161931]Bookman, this post was probably placed in the wrong forum.  Only a percentage of Christians like televangelists, and being in the Multifaith forum, you're going to have a minimal positive response.  I suppose this would best be under "Christian to Christian" debate.

Best,

Joseph
_________________)____
http://www.LessonsInTruth.info[/QUOTE]

Like i said, i am brand new to this website and have not really had the time to explore the various discussion options.   I did not expect nor was looking for general positive about televangilists.  I agree that most are charlatans.   There are a very few,  (Jessie Duplantis) as i mentioned ,(that even if they live like sultans), if a huge chunk of their message, their mission, and their money goes to further advancing the message of Salvation through Christ, then I have no problem with their ministries.   

As for/ to the responder who had no idea who J.O. was/is.  It is Joel Osteen who "pastors" the largest 30,000 member church in America.  He is the son of a preacher but in his "sermons" makes no reference to SIN, or salvation through JESUS CHRIST.   His offerings are about $43,000,000.00 in house with another $30,000,000.00 coming in the mail, ( although to his credit he does NOT solicit money on his huge television show).    He has ZERO seminary training.   His personal home is appraised at $1,265,500.00           He "claims" to not wish to be lumped into the "prosperity gospel" crowd but rather focuses on "family relationships" et al.  IMHO, there are going to be a lot of happy well balanced individuals and couples of all income levels.   And that is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!,  but it has nothing to do with a "salvation-experience"    If his congregants are "saved" and buy into his "gospel" okay  no problem,   but i fear a chunk of individuals are sucked into his "feel-good" theology and can be heading happily married, happily wealthy staight to Hell in a Handbasket,   and therin the danger lies.

respectful of all,   Ed
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook