Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
7 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2007 - 6:31PM #1
frjimod
I admire much that i have seen in all the religions that i have looked into but i find catholic Christianity,inwhich i was raised to be the fullest form of Christianity and the most universal and fulfilling.

I love the doctrines in their truthful consistency and the liturgies  and spiritualities in their diversity from Charismatic to Byzantine in Catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 8:13PM #2
Joseph14
What sets the Catholic Church aside from its fellow churches is its iconography. It is seen, not only in Roman Catholic Churches, but Eastern Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, and Armenian Orthodox Churches as well. What the eye sees, the soul believes, because the iconography becomes the vision of the Catholic soul.
On television last night, I saw how the very first Christian Church to be founded was the one that is based on Christ's birthplace. All Orthodox churches want to claim this one Church of the Nativity as theirs solely which has led, sadly, to disputes among who should enter this holy place first, Armenian, Roman Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox, shows that Catholicism is a myriad of beliefs in Christianity practiced in various ways. In this aspect, the "catholic" in Catholic Church isn't as "universal" as it wants to claim. I'm not saying that being a Catholic is a bad thing at all. What I am saying, when you see the various Orthodox faiths feuding for control, that gives the person on the outside a negative impression. Of course, these differences were settled by a Book of Rules which details what every member of the Orthodox faiths must do in course of each day. That is most commendable. I must say that the Christians, regardless of their Orthodox beliefs, are brave, resolute, and have a fullness of faith in God to survive in what used to be a Christian dominated city (Bethlehem) which is now a predominantly Muslim environment. It is a miracle to see this little church, so revered can survive the terrorist attacks and terrorist activities and the intervention of the Israeli Army. I was moved, when Muslim terrorists entered the Church of the Nativity and sought refuge from the priests and monks that served there. Outside was the Israeli Army, mechanized armor and all, and this little church seeking its Founder and Sustainer for protection from both sides. During the siege, according to one of the Franciscan monks, Pope John Paul II called on his cell phone to the cell phone of one of the Franciscan monks and told him "Never fear. I am with you always." This lifted the spirit of the monks and priests in the tiny church and persuaded them that they could live through this, even if it might mean their lives.
Although I am not a Catholic, this devotion to others, regardless of belief, and dedication to the Orthodox Church, is one of the grandest of Christian virtues taken on by such humble servants. It is my hope that all Christians take this as an example how "living in faith" can sustain one in any situation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 4:44PM #3
Lycas7x
We went to church every Sunday in our house growing up.  I don't remember too much about my childhood, but I like researching faith a spirituality, and successfully recovered from addiction.  My life is crazy, but I can always go back to the computer and look up something about buddhism, christianity, any aspect or componet of psychology and if I'm not seeing cross eyed it will restore my sanity or some resemblence of faith.  It seems to involve a lot of reading and its difficult to see practical application.

My mother taught me to be nice to people and I hope some of its going to come my way, but its a set up. You got to let that go because people look for somebody they can use and throw away. turn the other cheek, but we only have two cheeks... not four.   I would love my faith a lot more if I wasn't burnt out on it. I still have+
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2007 - 6:53PM #4
Joseph14
Here is a beautiful quote from Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, the head of Catholic Church in England and Wales, concerning the conversion of Tony Blair to Catholicism:

"Tony Blair has my prayers and good wishes as he takes this step in his Christian pilgrimage. A great Catholic writer of the last centruy said that the only reason for moving from one Christian family to another was to deepen one's relationship with God. I pray that this will be the result of Tony Blair's decision in his personal life."

(London (Associated Press) Sunday, December 23, 2007
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 7:59PM #5
Tomk
Wow,
How refreshing to see there are some real belivers in the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church on this site!
I would recommend the essay as listed in the topic.  It is by Walker Percy and is included in an anthology of his entitied,  Signposts in as Strange Land. 
I am a Catholic because I believe that what the Roman Catholic church proposes is true. 
God bless all of you,
TomK
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 8:31PM #6
truthmakefree
Joseph14, you talk of disputation as to who should have primacy.
This all started with the ROMAN Catholic church when they claimed supremacy of the Bishop of Rome above all others. (Just study the long history of politics and brutal wars waged by them).  And people now talk of the "Catholic" church as though the ROMAN Church is it.  This is false. Any church which has apostolic continuity (by "laying on of hands" since the time of the apostles) is Catholic. This includes the C of E which was made a separate entity by the Pope in the middle of the reign of Eliz I when he finally excommunicated her and cut the Catholic church in England off from Rome, because she could no longer tolerate him making political and financial imposts on her people, as well as his predecessors theological errors..
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2008 - 6:56AM #7
Joseph14
[QUOTE=truthmakefree;166214]Joseph14, you talk of disputation as to who should have primacy.
This all started with the ROMAN Catholic church when they claimed supremacy of the Bishop of Rome above all others. (Just study the long history of politics and brutal wars waged by them).  And people now talk of the "Catholic" church as though the ROMAN Church is it.  This is false. Any church which has apostolic continuity (by "laying on of hands" since the time of the apostles) is Catholic. This includes the C of E which was made a separate entity by the Pope in the middle of the reign of Eliz I when he finally excommunicated her and cut the Catholic church in England off from Rome, because she could no longer tolerate him making political and financial imposts on her people, as well as his predecessors theological errors..[/QUOTE]

Truthmakefree,

It is not the history of the Roman Catholic Church that I am calling into question. It is the those who attend the Catholic Church throughout the world. IMO, there are some wonderful Catholic believers who practice their faith as it is presented to them, and enjoy the fellowship of their own and the clergy. Every church has its failings, but it is when these churches deal with these failings with love that separates them from others that do not.

Joseph14
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 2:41PM #8
Succcessfulsteps
We must never forget what St. John said about the Eucharist, you do not have life without it.  I love all of mass and do believe that prayer is necessary just as St. Paul said to pray constantly.  Our wonder parish has a 24/7 Adoration Chapel where the Eucharist is alive as we all take turns, as Christ asked His own Apostles to do and spend an hour of prayer with Him.  Miracles happen all the time from this little Adoration Chapel.  We are all truly blessed to have found or been born into this faith.  I am on the side of being born into it, and living in the Baptist Bible Belt, my mother in law asked me to never "make" my husband a Catholic.  Well, he had no beliefs when we met and I visited other Churhes with him with all the while wanting my roots back so I would read of conversion stories and tell him about them.  He listened patiently and then one day he decided, the Catholic Church is where he belonged.  He is now a 3rd degree Knight in the Knights of Columbus.  Today?  Well, he is off feeding the poor as the leader of the group which does this out of our Church every 6 six weeks on the weekend.  He is a wonderful man who loves to learn more and more every day, so we are now on the journey together and it has made our little fairy tale wedding even stronger.  Everyone says we look at each other as newly weds before, and now it's even better!  God is Love and the Catholic Church and the sacraments only strengthen us in our faith and temptations against sin.  I am home.

I started my studies in Theology and am working on my doctorate now, and am very concerned though.  It's hard for me to be silent about this.  I do believe in tolerance, but not that Allah is God.  This is so wrong, he is demonic and always has been since before Mohammed came along.  I honestly believe that the biggest lie is to believe that we share the same God and it's the warning of Christ on concerning the elect being fooled.  I am careful to say no more, as it can be seen as wrong and an in tolerance, but I do not blame Muslims for following this as they know no better.  My ownly concern is for the elect and not to believe the lie.  Far too many are accepting that we share the same God and it has been said too many times by world leaders.  God Bless you my fellow Catholics and all others.  I hope your eyes are open.

Deb
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2008 - 5:38AM #9
lonelyman
Well first of all its a family tradition and I was brought up on it and keep following it. And I has a mother that made sure it,lol. And I'm proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2008 - 6:19PM #10
Emmanuelle110
Well I for one love God and put my faith in Him first and foremost.  He's given me so much to be grateful for and blessed me in so many ways that I want to return the favor, not only through prayer and meditation, but by helping others through His word.  Catholicism just makes sense to me.  It preaches virtues that I believe all people should live by and it does so without being hypocritical in any way.

God Bless!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook