Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View why I like being a Baptist
7 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2007 - 7:14PM #1
piexdian77
I was devastated after a divorce and a Baptist church and the people there helped me alot.  I am still recovering, but it is better.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 10:09AM #2
PurpleKU77
That is good, but just watch out if you get married again....now that you are "one of us" they might not be so forgiving the second time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2008 - 4:32PM #3
he'salive
[QUOTE=PurpleKU77;176073]That is good, but just watch out if you get married again....now that you are "one of us" they might not be so forgiving the second time.[/QUOTE]

That's not true...I am a baptist and forgiveness is one of our beliefs...who are we not to forgive when Jesus forgives us for everything we do...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2008 - 5:28PM #4
TigersEyeDowsing
Depends on what particular flavor you are.

My Southern Missionary Baptist mother was denied marriage in the church because her new husband had been divorced (due to his ex-wife's infidelity).

But they got married in the Methodist church.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2008 - 11:35PM #5
Sakhaiva
Hmmm... I'm familiar with the Southern Baptists... and I've heard of Missionary Baptists... but I'm not familiar with the Southern Missionary Baptist denomination. Perhaps its an MBA church that has dual association...

There are over 10,000 independant churches that *associate themselves* with the MBA denomination and teachings will vary a lot depending upon the pastor - so I wonder if the marriage denial is a *specific church* thing more so than a denominational issue.

Oh bother.... now I'm googling statements of faith.  ..... in any case, the meaning of membership and church accountability will vary a lot among the smaller, independant churches whereas mainline denominations and larger churches *tend to* be more grace-oriented.

:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2008 - 11:37PM #6
Sakhaiva
PS - greetings all!!!

Linda
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 10:34AM #7
klm
because I've found they'll always be there for me and I agree with the doctrine
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 10:19PM #8
JGL57
I was given every opportunity to be a Baptist and I declined.

Different strokes for different strokes, eh?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2009 - 12:09AM #9
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=JGL57;1043653]I was given every opportunity to be a Baptist and I declined.

Different strokes for different strokes, eh?[/QUOTE]

And so on and so on and scooby dooby dooby. :D  Oh, sha sha...
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 10:19PM #10
JGL57
I was given every opportunity to be a Baptist and I declined.

Different strokes for different strokes, eh?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook