Page 1 of 166  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 166 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do Christians really force their beleifs?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 12:40AM #1
sheetiron
Some have notice a person addressing another individual about matters of faith, life after death, and salvation trying to win him or her to this faith. It seems to be the normal reaction of people to say that this person is forcing his beleifs on anothere person. I ask how so? hes only expressing his veiws on why he beleives that the other individual should choose his faith. true some may get over zealous than others. but the goal is still the same. It all comes down to the hearer anyway. they choose or not to choose to accept the message. People who call this "forcing" sound like they dont support freedom of speech and self expression
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 1:02AM #2
Wmdkitty

sheetiron wrote:

Some have notice a person addressing another individual about matters of faith, life after death, and salvation trying to win him or her to this faith. It seems to be the normal reaction of people to say that this person is forcing his beleifs on anothere person. I ask how so? hes only expressing his veiws on why he beleives that the other individual should choose his faith. true some may get over zealous than others. but the goal is still the same. It all comes down to the hearer anyway. they choose or not to choose to accept the message. People who call this "forcing" sound like they dont support freedom of speech and self expression

When someone starts telling me why I should follow their beliefs, I usually ask them to stop, or say something witty that clearly tells them "DO NOT WANT". Some people respect this, and drop the subject. Others, well... others get pushy and obnoxious, and do literally force it on me, at which point I tend to either smile and nod politely while backing away slowly, or tell them in no uncertain terms what they can do with their Jewish zombie-cult.

If I had a dime for every time I've been asked "Do you know Jesus?", or told that I'm condemned to an eternity in Hell for following my gods, I'd be farking rich.

As a pagan -- eclectic Wiccan/Kemetic -- it's offensive to be told that I'm 'worshipping the devil'. What the pushy proselytizing pinheads don't know is that their "devil" is a twisted, corrupt version of the Horned God, a caricature designed specifically to defame the Old Ways.

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 2:37AM #3
Chicagoheathen
I generally say 'try to force", as, if they "forced" me, then I suppose I would be actua;;y Christian again. As far as, though, non-semantically, if it happens at all, yes, certainly it does. Christians try to force their beliefs on me when they start proselytizing to me when they have asked me to stop. They also try to force their beliefs on me when they demand that either I must have "Merry Christmas" wished to me in stores or worse, that I must say it myself while doing business. They try to legislate it in government meeting prayers, in "moments of silence and prayer" they try to force through schools, in trying to legislate that intelligent design be taught. I might be able to think of more examples, given time and inclination.

Please note I know this isn't what all Christians try to do, but only some of them.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 7:48AM #4
gillyflower
It is just plain rude, no different if you were trying to convince people to buy a product you were selling or vote for a certain person and it really shouldn't surprise people that it is seen as rudeness sometimes and returned or rebuffed.

It can also seem threatening if it is someone who can affect your employment or is someone you depend upon for medical or protection needs. Perhaps they cannot "force" you to convert but they can possibly make your life or the lives of your children uncomfortable and give you something new to worry about - like will the fire department respond quickly or drag their feet next time if I tell this volunteer fire fighter that I don't want convert to his religion?
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 10:22AM #5
Redfrog777
I would say that scaring rooms full 5-9 year old children into tears. Because they are sinners and are going to hell if they don't accep Jesus as there personal savior. I would call that forcing there beliefs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 12:59PM #6
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Laws prohibiting things like same sex marriage are examples of Christians forcing their beliefs.
Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 8:54PM #7
SerapisMaitreya
Forcing a religion and having a conversation about religion are two different things.  Someone is forcing their religion on me when only their point of view is correct and mine is wrong.  They insist that I am totally wrong, that I will be condemned by their God for eternity.

Having a conversation about religion implies that both of the parties are presenting their views as equals,  No one is imposing their dogmas on anyone.  The purpose of the conversation is to reach an understanding  of each other's religious views.  Can Christian do this?  If they can thre is absolutely no problem.

I do not try to convert anyone to my religious beliefs, but I am willing to participate in a religious conversation where each different point of view is respected.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 11:16PM #8
keesiewonder
Do Christians really force their bel[ie]fs?

Yes, my experience is most Christians who are vocal about their faith really do force their beliefs.

How many Christians do you know who sincerely believe that Christianity is not the answer for everyone they meet?

Sure, the freedom of speech allows a Christian the right to politely say/think/feel "I'm sorry you're lost; I'll pray for you to see The Way." But,please don't equate those words being allowed under the freedom of speech to "Christians expressing themselves is (always) something more than a disguise for their quest to bring as many to Christ as possible."

I disagree that it all comes down to the responsibility of the hearer. The speaker bears at least equal responsibility. Flip the issue around a bit: How good are Christians, really, at listening to non-Christians? How skilled are they when responding to non-Christians about what they've heard when listening? Does the dialog last beyond the argument stage? Does the encounter yield a new bond or chalk another up to "us v. them"?

sheetiron wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 11:50AM #9
Redfrog777
I would say that a one time best friend that has been “Born-again” coming into a persons home and informing them that if they don’t accept Jesus as there personal god and savior they are going to go to hell.

Or

A brother enraged, foaming at the mouth, red faced and screaming at the top of his lungs “You HAVE TO believe in Jesus! Or god is going to turn his back on you and you will burn for all eternity”.

IMO that this would be forcing ones beliefs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 11:50AM #10
Redfrog777
I would say that a one time best friend that has been “Born-again” coming into a persons home and informing them that if they don’t accept Jesus as there personal god and savior they are going to go to hell.

Or

A brother enraged, foaming at the mouth, red faced and screaming at the top of his lungs “You HAVE TO believe in Jesus! Or god is going to turn his back on you and you will burn for all eternity”.

IMO that this would be forcing ones beliefs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 166  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 166 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook