Page 12 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why so little relative participation in Multifaith?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 3:17PM #111
Mike369

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]From [FONT=Times New Roman]the intro to The Red Virgin: A Poem of Simone Weilby Stephanie Strickland which won the Brittingham Prize in Poetry in 1993[/FONT]

"Weil, our shrewdest political observer since Machiavelli, was never deceived by the glamor of power, and she committed herself to resisting force in whatever guise. More 'prophet' than 'saint,' more 'wise woman' than either, she bore a particular kind of bodily knowledge that the Western tradition cannot absorb. Simone Weil belongs to a world culture, still to be formed, where the voices of multiple classes, castes, races, genders, ethnicities, nationalities, and religions, can be respected. To achieve this culture is an impossible task, but, as Weil would remind us, not on that account to be forsaken.

Today we look to Weil for hope, for meditation, for the bridge a body makes. She knew that the truth had been 'taken captive,' and that we must 'seek at greater depth our own source,' because power destroys the past, the past with its treasures of alternative ideals that stand in judgment on the present."
[/FONT][/SIZE]

When I read what goes on here I see how far we are collectively from this inner knowlege Simone was so well aware of. It makes me appreciate her more.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 4:15PM #112
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Mike369 wrote:

This is it in a nutshell. People are here with established opinions gradually developed from reactions to bad former experiences. it is understandable but what good is it just to blindly agree?

No one here is suggesting that anyone blindly agree.  What we are asking for is respect.  If we can't get it, we won't give it either. 

I haven't preached anything. I've suggested that in order for multifaith to be more then just normal socializing it is necessary to see that the friction is the fault of everyone. It has become natural to our human nature.

Methinks you need to re-read your posts.  Do it objectively this time.  If such a thing is possible for you.  I have seen no indication of it so far. 

You find what I've verified and come to believe as "disgusting." Nothing can be built on this. How can you or anyone else respect what is defined as disgusting?

How indeed? 

You want to change it and ridicule it rather then be open to it.

I have no desire to change it, and would not care enough to ridicule it were it not for your constant harping. 

This is why the board cannot build. Who wants to discuss anything in an environment where their views have been determined as "disgusting.

I am really unconcerned with your opinions as to the nature of the board.  Which cannot build within it's category if someone turns it into their own private pulpit either.  You're no different from the Militant fundamentalists who run through here looking to convert someone, expecting everyone to bow and scrape to your narrow focused view of interpretations about some little book that you hold dear.  You've been duped by people far more intelligent than you, and are only capable of repeating what you've heard.  You're all flash and no substance.  If you don't want to give us that any more, no big loss.  Go on home and cry about how no one accepts you and you're so persecuted and misunderstood. 

"The ironic thing is that I don't find the views of others disgusting. They are what they are.

You previous posts exhibit a different attitude.  At least you already admitted your a hypocrite, that at least has been verified. 

I misunderstood the definition of multfaith here. I see it is defined as a vehicle for self justification of one point of view rather than the mutual acceptance that we all need to develop our ability to understand as is possible for a human being.

You only say that because we will not let you use it as a vehicle for self justification.  You have not offered anything even remotely approaching mutual acceptance in any of the posts that I have read.  You seem to want us to accept you, and then accept your beliefs, and bow to their "obvious superiority". 

Yes, this is what Turkey told the U.S. concerning recognition of the Armenian genocide. We decided to play nice and ignore reality at the expense of the Armenian people and the moral good.

Oh, the genocide again.  You keep bringing that up even though no one here is denying it.  What do you expect us to do? 

This may be your way but not mine.

No, it's fair warning.  You're alienating even those who would be friendly.  Just remember, the only constant in all your less than cordial relationships is you.

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 4:19PM #113
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Mike369 wrote:

When I read what goes on here I see how far we are collectively from this inner knowlege Simone was so well aware of. It makes me appreciate her more.

When presented in the manner that you have, why would you think that any of us would be remotely interested in what other Simone worshipers have to say about anything.  All you have done is a great job of making sure that no one will take you seriously.

all

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 5:28PM #114
Mike369
All

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]No one here is suggesting that anyone blindly agree. What we are asking for is respect. If we can't get it, we won't give it either.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

You confuse honesty with lack of respect. This is why you value the lie. It flatters your ego. The lie is good for buying and selling cars but not for those interested in truth.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2] have no desire to change it, and would not care enough to ridicule it were it not for your constant harping.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Lack of respect, constant harping? -- it is curious how you do not take any personal responsibility for your actions. Somehow your nastiness is always deserved. It is always the other persons fault. This is what fuels wars.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I am really unconcerned with your opinions as to the nature of the board.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yes, this is perfectly normal for your nature. Even though the topic asks: [FONT=Times New Roman]"Why so little relative participation in Multifaith?" you are only concerned with your sense of right and wrong.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]If you don't want to give us that any more, no big loss. Go on home and cry about how no one accepts you and you're so persecuted and misunderstood.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
I don't expect the suggestion of personal responsibility to be well received. I did hope in the beginning that there would be at least one person open to exploring the human condition and its relation to religious hostility. I didn't find it.

Oh, the genocide again. You keep bringing that up even though no one here is denying it. What do you expect us to do?

Be open to the relationship between genocide denial and the possibilities for multifaith. When we admit what we are, we know what has to be done if you value multifaith.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]No, it's fair warning. You're alienating even those who would be friendly. Just remember, the only constant in all your less than cordial relationships is you.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

As I said, there is no longer a reason to be here. The board features one outlook and chases away others. This is why you could never appreciate Simone. She wanted the truth at the expense of lies. She had the mind, heart, and courage to work towards this need for impartial truth by living a life that reflects this need. Such people are multifaith even though she became a Christian mystic. She understood the commonalities our lies will not let us see.

Enjoy the luxury of this mutual admiration society though I believe it degrades the potential for multifaith. It's no longer worth putting the energy into. Efforts towards self justification are found everywhere. I was looking for something that isn't here. My fault.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 6:35PM #115
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Mike369 wrote:

You confuse honesty with lack of respect. This is why you value the lie. It flatters your ego. The lie is good for buying and selling cars but not for those interested in truth.

So telling someone that you barely know that they value the lie is honesty and not lack of respect?  You should'a cleared that up before we all started.  Hey everybody!  When Mike says that the things we value are lies and that we are too ignorant to see things the right way (his way) he's actually respecting us.  :rolleyes:  Seriously, you couldn't really think that we were going to buy that load, did you? 

Lack of respect, constant harping? -- it is curious how you do not take any personal responsibility for your actions. Somehow your nastiness is always deserved. It is always the other persons fault. This is what fuels wars.

Au contraire.  I know exactly what I am doing.  You came here itching for a fight.  Well you got it bub.  I'm no Gandhi, sometimes it is good to fight. 

Yes, this is perfectly normal for your nature. Even though the topic asks: [FONT=Times New Roman]"Why so little relative participation in Multifaith?" you are only concerned with your sense of right and wrong.

[FONT=Arial]That must be more of that "respect" I've been hearing so much about. 
[/FONT][/FONT] 

I don't expect the suggestion of personal responsibility to be well received. I did hope in the beginning that there would be at least one person open to exploring the human condition and its relation to religious hostility. I didn't find it.

People are more than willing to explore the human condition.  Most people just don't agree with you as to the nature of the human condition.  What you were looking for was people who would agree with you.  Sorry you didn't find any.

Be open to the relationship between genocide denial and the possibilities for multifaith. When we admit what we are, we know what has to be done if you value multifaith.

Don't you mean, when we admit what you want us to think we are we will be open to your ideas?  No one here has denied the genocide you are referring to. 

As I said, there is no longer a reason to be here. The board features one outlook and chases away others. This is why you could never appreciate Simone. She wanted the truth at the expense of lies. She had the mind, heart, and courage to work towards this need for impartial truth by living a life that reflects this need. Such people are multifaith even though she became a Christian mystic. She understood the commonalities our lies will not let us see.

Enjoy the luxury of this mutual admiration society though I believe it degrades the potential for multifaith. It's no longer worth putting the energy into. Efforts towards self justification are found everywhere. I was looking for something that isn't here. My fault.

Bye then.  Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

all

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 7:03PM #116
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Innerpoint,

I wish I could say I was sorry for making such a mess here.  It was fun anyway.  It won't bother me a bit if you feel you need to do some clean up.

:o

all
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 9:02PM #117
Chicagoheathen
Hey, all, you were nicer than I was. :D
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 7:03PM #118
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Innerpoint,

I wish I could say I was sorry for making such a mess here.  It was fun anyway.  It won't bother me a bit if you feel you need to do some clean up.

:o

all
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 9:02PM #119
Chicagoheathen
Hey, all, you were nicer than I was. :D
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 10:44AM #120
gillyflower
Nicer than I was, too. :)
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook