Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Choosing to be born, literally
7 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 7:07AM #1
keesiewonder
[FONT="]Which (faith) groups are the ones who believe that a person chooses to be born, to come to earth?

Who are some authors who have elaborated on this concept? [/FONT]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 8:50AM #2
Sacrificialgoddess
Well, I think I've seen it in some Christian writings, but I can't remember clearly enough to be sure.  Let me look through my library and see if I've got anything.  :D
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 10:10AM #3
spiritalk
Isn't it found in the new age thinking of reincarnation.  Actually theories of reincarnation can be distinct to various groups - each with their own progressive theories.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 7:55PM #4
keesiewonder
Does 'reincarnation' by definition include 'choosing to be (re)born?'

A skim of, say, Wikipedia's article on Reincarnation indicates a wide variety of faiths (including some Christians) include belief in some form of reincarnation.

I ask my original post since a 'know it all Christian' insisted that even though I didn't know it, I had chosen to be born. (I don't remember what they were trying to prove; it is over on the old Beliefnet somewhere.) Anyway, I thought I spend a bit of time trying to figure out how they had come up with this idea and initially felt it sounded like a blend of (confusion of?) faiths.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 9:43AM #5
spiritalk
[QUOTE=keesiewonder;25470]Does 'reincarnation' by definition include 'choosing to be (re)born?'

A skim of, say, Wikipedia's article on Reincarnation indicates a wide variety of faiths (including some Christians) include belief in some form of reincarnation.

I ask my original post since a 'know it all Christian' insisted that even though I didn't know it, I had chosen to be born. (I don't remember what they were trying to prove; it is over on the old Beliefnet somewhere.) Anyway, I thought I spend a bit of time trying to figure out how they had come up with this idea and initially felt it sounded like a blend of (confusion of?) faiths.[/QUOTE]

Wikipedia has been found to NOT be the best source for information.  It is a collection of opinion no different than these lines.

Perhaps we all end up with a confusion in our spiritual quest.  Sometimes it rings true and sometimes we just have to filter our thoughts through the idea.

IME reincarnation is a repeat of the old and tried.  Spirituality is progressive and for me, it just doesn't fit.  For others with a sincere approach in their journey, they find it valid.  No real balance exists in this particular belief - you either do or not.  A survey of people in the US found 65% against/35% for in recent years.

The ideas of choosing our life seemed to have arisen with the new age fads of the past few years - in the various writers' ideas of reincarnation.  Reincarnation itself from the east is practiced differently than that adopted for the west.  More and more confusion for the examination.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 10:10AM #6
keesiewonder
Yes, I  am quite familiar with Wikipedia and it's cons (as well as pros); so substitute "an encyclopedia" for that W word.  Trust me, W is not my primary source of information. But, I bet the Encyclopedia Britannica also mentions a variety of faiths in its article on reincarnation.

So, perhaps the "preacher" I encountered was a relatively new Christian previously or currently involved with one of the many New Age fads. I guess I'm trying to avoid posting in those groups during my quest.

spiritalk wrote:

Wikipedia has been found to NOT be the best source for information.  It is a collection of opinion no different than these lines.

Perhaps we all end up with a confusion in our spiritual quest.  Sometimes it rings true and sometimes we just have to filter our thoughts through the idea.

IME reincarnation is a repeat of the old and tried.  Spirituality is progressive and for me, it just doesn't fit.  For others with a sincere approach in their journey, they find it valid.  No real balance exists in this particular belief - you either do or not.  A survey of people in the US found 65% against/35% for in recent years.

The ideas of choosing our life seemed to have arisen with the new age fads of the past few years - in the various writers' ideas of reincarnation.  Reincarnation itself from the east is practiced differently than that adopted for the west.  More and more confusion for the examination.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 9:19AM #7
spiritalk
Isn't seeking wonderful!  It certainly is a journey of many places, people, things!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 9:11AM #8
Spirit-Wind
[QUOTE=keesiewonder;25470]
I ask my original post since a 'know it all Christian' insisted that even though I didn't know it, I had chosen to be born. [/QUOTE]

That person's views are highly unorthodox.  Belief in prior existence of souls is outside of standard Christian doctrine.  One could say heretical if one chooses.  I don't so choose.   

For your own mental health, try not to get emotionally involved in beliefnet discussions.  It will drive you to madness!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 10:58AM #9
Chicagoheathen
I have heard both Christians and non-Christians talk about 'choosing to be born'. I have heard it mentioned as part of reincarnation and part of a single life. I am not sure it is strict doctrine in any faith, but I know that it is certainly a personal belief for some people, of diverse faiths.

Not much help in particulars, I know.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 3:29AM #10
jaybird41
The Church of Jesus Christ believe in a premortal existance and the ability to choose - free agency.

Plan of Salvation
In the premortal existence, Heavenly Father prepared a plan to enable us to become like Him and receive a fulness of joy. The scriptures refer to this plan as "the plan of salvation" (Alma 24:14; Moses 6:62), "the great plan of happiness" (Alma 42:8), "the plan of redemption" (Jacob 6:8; Alma 12:30), and "the plan of mercy" (Alma 42:15). The plan of salvation is the fulness of the gospel. It includes the Creation, the Fall, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and all the laws, ordinances, and doctrines of the gospel. Moral agency, the ability to choose and act for ourselves, is also essential in Heavenly Father's plan. Because of this plan, we can be perfected through the Atonement, receive a fulness of joy, and live forever in the presence of God. Our family relationships can last throughout the eternities

Go to LDS.com and type in ( premortal ) in the search space. There are 800 + articals on the subject.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook