Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Inconsistency in the work place
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 8:46AM #1
ShirleyGoodness
How would you react to an inconsistent boss or a workplace where there were no clear cut rules. When other co-workers seem to be doing  their own "thing" would you find being in such an atmosphere difficult or do you think you could go with the flow?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 10:44PM #2
keesiewonder
I find such an environment very difficult. So much so that I have recently changed jobs, which involved at least a temporary relocation over 1500 miles. I went from a small company of about 80 people (who did not know what they were doing) to a very large international company with 16,000 employees. There are probably 900-1,000 employees at the location at which I now work. I am much happier now, and hope that I am able to turn what seems to be a bit like a temp-to-hire situation to a direct hire, since I also do not like the distinctions between contractors and "real" employees.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 2:20AM #3
JoyWorld
This can be hard.  I work in a retail store that have good employees, but it can be disorganized sometimes that it drives certain of us crazy.  Some of them don't care.  I try to only do what I have to do.  Sometimes I do the work of others to some extent, but I have mostly stopped doing that for awhile because it makes me extra tired and it all goes back to the way it was anyway.  I focus on doing my job and what I am asked to do.  I have to agree that if your workplace is so disorganized and so unlike you in personality, then you should try to help change that or swith jobs.  You don't wan to be somewhere unhappy where your standard of a workplace is not how you know it should be because you know it can be better.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 10:44PM #4
keesiewonder
I find such an environment very difficult. So much so that I have recently changed jobs, which involved at least a temporary relocation over 1500 miles. I went from a small company of about 80 people (who did not know what they were doing) to a very large international company with 16,000 employees. There are probably 900-1,000 employees at the location at which I now work. I am much happier now, and hope that I am able to turn what seems to be a bit like a temp-to-hire situation to a direct hire, since I also do not like the distinctions between contractors and "real" employees.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 2:20AM #5
JoyWorld
This can be hard.  I work in a retail store that have good employees, but it can be disorganized sometimes that it drives certain of us crazy.  Some of them don't care.  I try to only do what I have to do.  Sometimes I do the work of others to some extent, but I have mostly stopped doing that for awhile because it makes me extra tired and it all goes back to the way it was anyway.  I focus on doing my job and what I am asked to do.  I have to agree that if your workplace is so disorganized and so unlike you in personality, then you should try to help change that or swith jobs.  You don't wan to be somewhere unhappy where your standard of a workplace is not how you know it should be because you know it can be better.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 4:12PM #6
IreneAdler
It would depend.  I don’t much care for unfairness among workers, and this would cause resentment for me over time. If it’s a matter of each worker contributing in a unique way, then one should suspend judgment as one worker’s contribution cannot be compared to the next one. 

IF it’s a scatterbrained manager, well, I see two approaches.  One approach: take responsibility for your own projects, and forge ahead without proper direction, doing the best you can. This can lead to problems if projects end up where the boss didn’t want them to go. However, if the boss is pleased with the outcome, this could work out well if one enjoys a large amount of autonomy. Other approach is to do exactly what boss directs, and let boss deal with any and all fallout that happens.  My current work environment includes a scatterbrained manager and I have taken the first approach- which works out well for me 80% of the time. The other 20% leaves me frustrated as seems that I am expected to read the guy’s mind.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 8:27AM #7
PaulaEdwina
It doesn't bother me unless it impacts my work. I don't really care what others might be perceived as getting away with.

JMO
Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 11:54PM #8
delmarvamom
Inconsistant is a diplomatic way to describe my boss who runs our small agency.  For the first year or so it made me crazy especially since another worker thrived on structure and was irritated on a daily basis.  I workd more than I wanted to and got little direction.

I thought about quitting alot the first year or two. BUT, I work part time, I set my hours, they think I do a good job and her "inconsistancy" usually means she leaves me alone to do the work as I see fit. As I became more independant, I decided I had to figure a way to keep the job and my sanity.  It was too good to give up.

I decided to worry only about my job and set boundaries. I work my hours and go.  I no longer worry if she is steering us in the wrong direction, whether she should be getting her hair done, if she is crazy, whether she has hired the right person. I try to let it all roll right off my back as long as she leaves me to my job. My other boss is quite sane, so that helps.

My former coworker that was irritated by her finally literally walked off the job a week before her two weeks were up. She is much happier now.

So I guess it depends on your personality and whether it is worth the stress.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 5:52PM #9
yes50
I have had bosses who did not know what they wanted, And totally confused me. I do not go along with the flow, just because someone is doing it, does not make it right.  I would quit the job, when I had a boss like that. They drove me up a wall.   And they do not belong in charge, of a dept. Or a company at all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 5:52PM #10
yes50
I have had bosses who did not know what they wanted, And totally confused me. I do not go along with the flow, just because someone is doing it, does not make it right.  I would quit the job, when I had a boss like that. They drove me up a wall.   And they do not belong in charge, of a dept. Or a company at all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook