Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
3 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2015 - 9:57PM #1
mountain_man
Here's the story.

Here's a quote; "New findings from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) provide the strongest evidence yet that liquid water flows intermittently on present-day Mars.

Using an imaging spectrometer on MRO, researchers detected signatures of hydrated minerals on slopes where mysterious streaks are seen on the Red Planet. These darkish streaks appear to ebb and flow over time. They darken and appear to flow down steep slopes during warm seasons, and then fade in cooler seasons. They appear in several locations on Mars when temperatures are above minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 23 Celsius), and disappear at colder times."

For life as we know it; follow the water. Now we need to answer the questions; Is there life associated with that water? And the big question; did life evolve on Mars and travel here?

Maybe John Carter would know.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2015 - 10:14AM #2
looshawn

Yes there are signs of liquid water, but wasn't it only salt water too?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2015 - 10:56AM #3
mountain_man

From what I've read, what  they found was a percolate, hydrated salts. It's more like wet salt than salty water. It could still support life.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2015 - 4:59PM #4
TemplarS

Dave, I did a bit of research and found this (Wikipedia):

"Over 40 phylogenetically and metabolically diverse microorganisms capable of growth via perchlorate reduction have been isolated since 1996. Most originate from the Proteobacteria but others include the Firmicutes, Moorella perchloratireducens and Sporomusa sp., and the archaeon Archaeoglobus fulgidus. With the exception of A. fulgidus, all known microbes that grow via perchlorate reduction utilize the enzymes perchlorate reductase and chlorite dismutase, which collectively take perchlorate to innocuous chloride. In the process, free oxygen (O2) is generated and this is one of only a handful of biological processes to generate oxygen aside from photosynthesis".

So, yes, life can not only survive, but find a way to make use of perchlorate. 

This does not mean it is happening on Mars, but on earth, we have found that microbes can evolve to thrive in extremely hostile conditions. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2015 - 5:54PM #5
mountain_man

Sep 29, 2015 -- 4:59PM, TemplarS wrote:

...This does not mean it is happening on Mars, but on earth, we have found that microbes can evolve to thrive in extremely hostile conditions.

One group of extremophiles thrives in acid that would kill you. If there's a way, life will find it. We don't have proof, yet, that it's happening on Mars, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2015 - 6:09PM #6
Aka_me

I think one of the most significant discoveries of our time was discovering life inside underwater volcanic plums

www.nbcnews.com/id/30582524/ns/technolog...

being forced to rethink our assumptions of life in this case tells me that we should NOT continue making such mistakes.

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 3:26AM #7
BDboy

Interesting.............

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2015 - 2:52PM #8
Unworthyone

NASA has published first official picture of water on Mars here.

“Some men see things as they are and say, why; I dream things that never were and say, why not.” Robert F. Kennedy, 1968
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2015 - 9:18AM #9
BDboy

I am glad it is water. Had it been oil, we would have seen war plans. Live in peace and prosper Marshans!! Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2015 - 5:56PM #10
Aka_me

Oct 5, 2015 -- 9:18AM, BDboy wrote:

I am glad it is water. Had it been oil, we would have seen war plans. Live in peace and prosper Marshans!! Wink

serious thought is being invested in mining the moon www.theverge.com/2014/2/9/5395684/nasa-b...

with debate over whether to extend the 1967 space treaty to cover the private sector.

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook