Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Switch to Forum Live View New Human fossil find
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2015 - 1:48PM #1
Sparky_Spotty
Posts: 944
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2015 - 2:42PM #2
FredZeppelin
Posts: 414

Mar 4, 2015 -- 1:48PM, Sparky_Spotty wrote:

www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-317...

Ain't Science great? 



Yep

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2015 - 9:52AM #3
MMarcoe
Posts: 20,907

Dang evos are changing their facts again.


No YEC would ever do that.


1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2015 - 9:14PM #4
Roymond
Posts: 3,779

Mar 5, 2015 -- 9:52AM, MMarcoe wrote:


Dang evos are changing their facts again.


No YEC would ever do that.





Not entirely true.  But they progress at what I'll call . . .


an evolutionary pace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2015 - 11:48AM #5
MMarcoe
Posts: 20,907

Mar 5, 2015 -- 9:14PM, Roymond wrote:


Mar 5, 2015 -- 9:52AM, MMarcoe wrote:


Dang evos are changing their facts again.


No YEC would ever do that.





Not entirely true.  But they progress at what I'll call . . .


an evolutionary pace.




I was being sarcastic. YECs do "change their facts," so to speak, but they don't seem to want to admit it. Nor do they want to admit that YECism is becoming more pro-evo with every passing decade.



1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2015 - 10:21PM #6
FredZeppelin
Posts: 414

Mar 5, 2015 -- 9:52AM, MMarcoe wrote:


Dang evos are changing their facts again.


No YEC would ever do that.



Tas Walker from Creation Ministries has some thoughts on the age of the find


www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/creationist-...


“Every dating method is based on assumptions about the past, and so you choose the dating method to get the date the sort of date to fit in with where it is and you select the results that fit in with your research program,” Walker said.


Besides, the creationist said, there is only one scientific authority.


“The only way to reliably know the age of something is by eyewitness reports,” Walker explained. “That’s how I know my age, that’s how you know your age, and basically the Bible gives us an eyewitness report — people who were there from the beginning that’s recorded down, and it’s about 6,000 years old.”


So THERE--what do you say to THAT, science?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2015 - 9:48AM #7
MMarcoe
Posts: 20,907

So the Bible is an eyewitness report but fossils aren't? 


Well, that's false. Fossils are God's testimony. 

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2015 - 12:45AM #8
Blü
Posts: 26,191

So THERE--what do you say to THAT, science?


Except, the bible says again and again that the earth's flat and the universe revolves around it.


If you have any doubts, ask Galileo - the notion got him into trouble.


So why are fundies at such pains to pretend the bible DOESN'T say the earth is flat, doesn't say the earth's the center of the universe?


A flat earth is no sillier than a 6,000 year old earth, after all.


Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2015 - 12:57PM #9
Roymond
Posts: 3,779

Mar 10, 2015 -- 12:45AM, Blü wrote:


So THERE--what do you say to THAT, science?


Except, the bible says again and again that the earth's flat and the universe revolves around it.


If you have any doubts, ask Galileo - the notion got him into trouble.


So why are fundies at such pains to pretend the bible DOESN'T say the earth is flat, doesn't say the earth's the center of the universe?


A flat earth is no sillier than a 6,000 year old earth, after all.




The Bible doesn't ever say the world is flat -- it just has that as a background assumption.


That it's the "center of the universe" has a stronger case, though not ironclad -- mostly, it doesn't really care about the universe.


As for Galileo, hedidn't get into trouble because of what the Bible said so much as the fact that the RCC had adopted pagan philosophy, specifically Ptolemy in his case -- he ran into what we might call the first "creation science", which had friends in high places.

Quick Reply
Cancel
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook