Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Many Worlds" and Noah: the Great Deluge really happened!
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 2:19AM #1
Roymond
I figured out why there's no evidence at all for the world-wide flood our YECers insist happened, but the story is literally true anyway:  it took place in a different quantum universe, and God had the story told here as a warning!  It didn't happen on our earth, but it did happen on a different one out in the Many Worlds!

So we don't have to stress over the lack of data to prove Noah and the Great Flood -- this isn't the world it took place on.

What a relief!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 7:46AM #2
Blü

Gotta love those Many Worlds!

How else could Hercules fight Moloch?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 8:12AM #3
Midutch

Many years ago, there actually was a creationist who posted here on Bnet who believed something similar. I can't recall her name but she claimed that the entire pre-flood "history" of the Old Testament actually happened on another planet ... and, just like all creationists", she had the cherry picked Biblical passages to "support" her assertion. IIRC as soon as "god" shut Noah up in the ark and closed the door and the one little window, the entire ark was tranported to "Earth 2" where the fields and pastures were already rich with growing plants for the herbiverous animals to eat.

IMHO it sort of makes a whole lot more sense than the story the tradictional YECS spin, and alleviates some of the problems that the traditional YEC fairy tale has.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 9:33AM #4
Blü

Midutch

The planet was Mars and creationists devised the hypothesis from reports that Mars had evidence not only of past water but of past flooding.

Haven't heard anyone beating that drum for a while now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 9:56AM #5
Oncomintrain

Heck... why go to another universe? I'm sure there are planets in THIS universe that are completely flooded.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 10:22AM #6
d_p_m

Mar 3, 2015 -- 2:19AM, Roymond wrote:

I figured out why there's no evidence at all for the world-wide flood our YECers insist happened, but the story is literally true anyway:  it took place in a different quantum universe, and God had the story told here as a warning!  It didn't happen on our earth, but it did happen on a different one out in the Many Worlds!

So we don't have to stress over the lack of data to prove Noah and the Great Flood -- this isn't the world it took place on.

What a relief!

Many Worlds would imply that anything that can happen will happen. That still does nothing for that which cannot happen. The description in Genesis is probably impossible in any universe.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."
― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein

"If one is going to engage with the primordial forces of darkness, one must expect a bit of social awkwardness."
-- Penny Dreadful, season one, episode two
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 12:28PM #7
Oncomintrain

Mar 3, 2015 -- 10:22AM, d_p_m wrote:

Mar 3, 2015 -- 2:19AM, Roymond wrote:

What a relief!

Many Worlds would imply that anything that can happen will happen. That still does nothing for that which cannot happen. The description in Genesis is probably impossible in any universe.

Exactly. MWI gives us every POSSIBLE universe, but that doesn't mean that every universe IS possible.

Indeed, given the USUALLY miniscule impact on the macroscopic world of a single electron zigging or zagging, I do wonder how similar MOST of the universes would be to each other. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 12:33PM #8
d_p_m

Mar 3, 2015 -- 12:28PM, Oncomintrain wrote:

Mar 3, 2015 -- 10:22AM, d_p_m wrote:

Exactly. MWI gives us every POSSIBLE universe, but that doesn't mean that every universe IS possible.

Hmmm.... thinking about mathematics... Not every true theorem can be proven. Not every false theorem can be disproven. Some calculations cannot be bounded in execution time. Some infinities are larger than other infinities.

Is there room, somewhere in MWI, for 'not every possible universe will happen' (in finite time???)?

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein

"If one is going to engage with the primordial forces of darkness, one must expect a bit of social awkwardness."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 12:38PM #9
Oncomintrain

Mar 3, 2015 -- 12:33PM, d_p_m wrote:

Hmmm.... thinking about mathematics... Not every true theorem can be proven. Not every false theorem can be disproven. Some calculations cannot be bounded in execution time. Some infinities are larger than other infinities.

Is there room, somewhere in MWI, for 'not every possible universe will happen' (in finite time???)?

Well... depends what you mean, I think. My understanding, the essence of MWI is that quantum behavior diverges (and therefore universes "split") at every single quantum "decision point." So every universe that CAN exist -- in light of all decision points to date -- DOES exist.

So we are restricted to the set of universes that A) can be reached by divergent quantum "decisions", B) in the amount of time that has so far passed.

So we don't have every PLAUSIBLE universe (every universe we can think up), but only every universe that is POSSIBLE within those constraints.

Can someone who has actually studied the topic confirm whether I've understood the theory correctly?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 12:47PM #10
d_p_m

Mar 3, 2015 -- 12:38PM, Oncomintrain wrote:

Mar 3, 2015 -- 12:33PM, d_p_m wrote:

Well... depends what you mean, I think. My understanding, the essence of MWI is that quantum behavior diverges (and therefore universes "split") at every single quantum "decision point." So every universe that CAN exist -- in light of all decision points to date -- DOES exist.

So we are restricted to the set of universes that A) can be reached by divergent quantum "decisions", B) in the amount of time that has so far passed.

So we don't have every PLAUSIBLE universe (every universe we can think up), but only every universe that is POSSIBLE within those constraints.

Can someone who has actually studied the topic confirm whether I've understood the theory correctly?

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking... somewhat.

Do quantum decision distributions spread out like oil on water, or branch like trees? Are there gaps? Are these analogies broken? Are there 'you can't get there from here' points?

― Niels Bohr

-- Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook