Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2015 - 6:12PM #11
rsielin

Mar 3, 2015 -- 2:06AM, Roymond wrote:

So whoever devised this bit of inanity is engaging in juvenile "humor" based on ignorance, or at least on assuming the audience is ignorant.

You're very likely correct here. But it would be most hypocritical to not apply the same assessment to both, don't you think?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2015 - 12:50AM #12
Roymond

Mar 3, 2015 -- 9:23AM, Midutch wrote:

Mar 3, 2015 -- 2:06AM, Roymond wrote:

Mar 2, 2015 -- 8:11PM, Midutch wrote:

Mar 2, 2015 -- 7:34PM, Roymond wrote:

Mar 1, 2015 -- 1:01PM, rsielin wrote:

This March 14, 2015 is a woo-woo day that occurs only once a century. And just like the Hebrews do, our Flying Spaghetti Monster arbitrarily assigns the value 323 to A and 846 to M.

Thus what the FSM gives us at the 9th hour, 26th min and 53.58979th sec in the morning (AM) of March 14 is:

3.14159265358979323846; our friend Pi rounded to the nearest 10-20

Now compare that accuracy to anything you can twist out of scripture. The FSM wins hands down in woo-woo accuracy.

WTF now? Who you going to “believe”: your lying eyes or the Flying Spaghetti Monster?  :)

Where do you get that the Hebrews assign A and M those values?

Not those numbers specifically, just numbers.

Instead of "just like Hebrews do", think "just like the Hebrews assign numbers to letters"

The FSM assigns those numbers to A and M, not the Hebrews.

So the FSM is less rational than a bronze age people.  The ancient Hebrews didn't "assign numbers to letters", they used their alphabet for numerals -- there wasn't anything arbitrary about it.  So whoever devised this bit of inanity is engaging in juvenile "humor" based on ignorance, or at least on assuming the audience is ignorant.

Exactly.

Sort of the same way everyone sees the creationists.

This is a comment about creationists ... not the Hebrew language.

After two hours of therapeutic swimming, that makes excellent sense to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2015 - 9:35PM #13
rsielin

Well, yesterday was Pi day. And the most accurate one of the century. Hope everyone celebrated appropriately. Sadly, for most of the world yesterday wasn’t Pi Day. Pi Day will never come in most places since most of the world uses the DD/MM/YY convention.

There is one Pi day noted as the UberUltimate accurate Pi Day that was in 1592. The UberUltimate Pi Moment was 3.14.1592 6:53:58.97  Never to be repeated unless of course we start over with a new calendar or switch to the Muslim calendar. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_calendar

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2015 - 3:31PM #14
MMarcoe

When I was 13, I memorized pi 610 places, and I recited half of it for my math class. After learning 610 places, I lost interest and discontinued it, but now, 33 years later, I still remember it 70 places, and I could probably re-memorize most of those 610 places.

My method was to learn 10 digits a day, breaking the 10 digits into 2 groups of 5. Since I think in colors, where every letter, number, time span, and sound is a pattern of color shades, each group of 5 became like a little colorful painting in my head. That made it fairly easy to memorize.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2015 - 6:09PM #15
rsielin

Mar 16, 2015 -- 3:31PM, MMarcoe wrote:

When I was 13, I memorized pi 610 places, and I recited half of it for my math class.

Amazing Marco. I'm impressed. All the more amazing becuase pi is a random string of digits (the mathematical proof of which remains elusive). It's been demonstrated that the first six billion digits of pi each of the digits appears about six hundred million times; consistent with random being an equal chance for any digit appearing after any other.

But since pi is both random and infinite, it will consequently have every pattern in existence whether known or not. Any word or manuscript that you can think of, when encoded in numbers, will show up in pi. So the entire works of Shakespeare will be found, including all possible misprints and permutations along with everything else. A cosmic wormhole, if you will, from reality to the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Take that and put it in your pipe and smoke it, Roymond! Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2015 - 7:26PM #16
d_p_m

Mar 16, 2015 -- 6:09PM, rsielin wrote:

Mar 16, 2015 -- 3:31PM, MMarcoe wrote:

When I was 13, I memorized pi 610 places, and I recited half of it for my math class.

Amazing Marco. I'm impressed. All the more amazing becuase pi is a random string of digits (the mathematical proof of which remains elusive). It's been demonstrated that the first six billion digits of pi each of the digits appears about six hundred million times; consistent with random being an equal chance for any digit appearing after any other.

But since pi is both random and infinite, it will consequently have every pattern in existence whether known or not. Any word or manuscript that you can think of, when encoded in numbers, will show up in pi. So the entire works of Shakespeare will be found, including all possible misprints and permutations along with everything else. A cosmic wormhole, if you will, from reality to the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Take that and put it in your pipe and smoke it, Roymond!

Hmmm.... the ultimate compression algorithm. Any book, or any library, can be represented (given an encoding scheme) by two numbers - a start, and a length.

Actually, scratch that - sort of - about the encoding scheme. Just pick a starting point that begins with a definition of the optimal encoding scheme, in some simple standard universal scheme, followed by the library.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."
― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein

"If one is going to engage with the primordial forces of darkness, one must expect a bit of social awkwardness."
-- Penny Dreadful, season one, episode two
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook