Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome and Introductions
4 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2013 - 8:19PM #1
Beliefnet_community
Welcome to Science News and Issues!  Stop in to say hello and introduce yourself Smile 
We are listening! Problems, complaints, other issues? Send us a message at Beliefnet_community.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2013 - 9:37PM #2
Stardove

I'm Stardove one of the site wide moderators, if you don't know me you haven't hung around the forums I host or co-host. I've been at Beliefnet since the beginning so call me an old timer.

I do hope members interested in science will enjoy having a forum to discuss science news and issues.

Enjoy!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2013 - 10:27PM #3
teilhard

"Teilhard" here ...

I have been a life-long (thus far) VERY dedicated Science Buff ...

My first Degree was in Biology, with a Minor in Anthropology ... I've done some Grad Study in Paleontology, and I'm a Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (Biology Section) for now 40 Years ... I LOVE trying to "keep up" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2013 - 11:16AM #4
JCarlin

J'Carlin checking in.  Happy to see a "real" science thread on beliefnet. 

University trained as a chemist by default, philosophy/religion minor. Was a professional rocket scientist for a while.  Most of my career was in science market development.  There I learned that Scientists know a lot about a few things, keep learning more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.  Marketers know a little bit about a lot of things, keep learning less and less about more and more until they know nothing about everything.  As Garfield commented about fat cats, I resemble that remark.

I got a subscription to Scientific American in grade school with lawn mowing money, learned to find referenced articles of interest in the local university library courtesy of a Aeronautical Engineer friend on the faculty. Later courtesy of a Cell Biologist spouse.  SciAm has been the only constant on my reading list but I still read at least the abstracts of papers in the footnotes for interesting articles. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2013 - 11:39AM #5
farragut

"I got a subscription to Scientific American in grade school with lawn mowing money, "

I like that. Growing up in an obscure corner of Maine, I, in grade school, got a subscription to Science Digest the same way. It opened my eyes to all kinds of things, and has served me well for these many dozens of years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2013 - 12:23PM #6
no-dramaqueen

Greetings everyone,

I'm not a science buff by any stretch of the imagination. I am a veteran television journalist, author in the spirituality genre, creator of spirituality workshops and a lifelong learner. Science, particularly as it relates to the larger laws of the Universe, fascinates me.

I may have nothing more to contribute here than an open heart and attentive eyes; but I am grateful for the invitation to join you!

Namaste,

Pat

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2013 - 3:01PM #7
Ridcully

Ridcully here…totally and completely mathematically inept, but curious about the way the world works. I’ve been known to read a book or three on science from time to time. 

"Things just happen, what the hell."  Didactylos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2013 - 8:37PM #8
crunchyfrog

I am a retired research Physicist. I have a doctorate in Physics and undergraduate minors in mathematics and philosophy (thank you Jesuits)

I spent forty five years in out-of-the- box research and was elected to society Fellow in 1993 for contributions to photonics.The beauty of esoteric research is that we didn't punish failures, even in failures we learned something.

I am fortunate to see the work we considered science fiction as undergraduates become reality.The first laser was demonstrated when I was a junior.

I mentor young students who aspire to a science career. I am amazed at the creativity shown by these youngsters at science fairs. The future of science is in good hands.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2013 - 9:11PM #9
Idbc

Howdy

I am sixty-four year old Atheist, Secular Humanist, Skeptic,  friend of science and enemy of psuedo-paranormal science.

I just got back from The Amazing Meeting is Las Legas, Nevada and had a great time.  I met some Amazing Scientist. 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2013 - 10:45PM #10
TheEgypsy

Hello Everyone! I am P.I. Barrington and interestingly enough I write futuristic crime thrillers! My sci-fi is very soft and most of the technology are things I've created that I hope make a bit of science sense, lol! I have not visited here since 2009--no kidding--and just opened my email to find this new forum! Some of my work is dark and deals with dark subjects and themes so I'm giving you fair warning, LOL! My work has been called "not for the faint of heart" by one reviewer!

In any case I'm just popping in to say hi and hope it won't take another several years for me to return!

Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook